Author Topic: “Wow! War is Great!”  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2004, 12:00:19 PM »
Originally posted by lada
yes im alive, come and fix it

How can your question be answered when you keep it a secret as to where you're from?

....btw....enjoy your freedom.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 12:03:54 PM by Rude »

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2004, 01:12:26 PM »
Originally posted by lada
yes people who rise agains tyrany should get support.  

Do we have sutch cases ?

Or its simply game, when we claim, that some country  live in tyrany, so we must destroy their infrastructure and throw country into the chaos ?

No, no no no no!

Any halfway competent tyrant knows how to completely suppress his own people.  The formulae have been written for hundreds--if not thousands--of years.

Only external pressure can bring down a tyrant, short of natural death.  And we (the collective, world-wide "we") should have learned over the last hundred years or so that allowing tyranny to exist is more dangerous than destroying it.  Ask the Armenians, or the Gypsies, or the Jews, or the Kurds, or any of the peoples living in the Balkans about tyranny.

Those that survived will tell you that WE should have done something.  That's still the collective, world-wide "we".

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2004, 02:36:43 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Never great, but sometimes necessary.  

I disagree.
Never necessary imho.
After all what does it ever really solve?

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2004, 02:46:02 PM »
Originally posted by wombatt
I disagree.
Never necessary imho.
After all what does it ever really solve?

Oh, good grief.

Second World War--solved question of Fascism in Germany and Italy, freed milliions from Naziism.

Punic Wars--removed Carthage as a world power, determined direction of Western civilization for the next 2000 years.

Those are the first two examples off the top of my head.  Want more, or are you going to make the specious argument that warfare has never ended War?  It must all depend on your definition of "solve".

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2004, 02:50:28 PM »
Originally posted by rshubert
Oh, good grief.

Second World War--solved question of Fascism in Germany and Italy, freed milliions from Naziism.
Yep as a jew i know all about this

Punic Wars--removed Carthage as a world power, determined direction of Western civilization for the next 2000 years.

Those are the first two examples off the top of my head.  Want more, or are you going to make the specious argument that warfare has never ended War?  It must all depend on your definition of "solve".

LOL warfare has never ended war? well i quess if there was no war to end then ?

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2004, 03:24:21 PM »
LOL warfare has never ended war? well i quess if there was no war to end then ?

Wouldn't it be great if we could all just hold hands and sing Kumba-ya!!

:rolleyes:

I agree with the concept that warfare should end, emotionally.  If you don't, then your sick.

However to believe that as a practical methodology for a free people to undertake is just plain stupidity.

Until the last predator and political idea that seeks to subvert that which is human is stamped out, violence on the behalf of a free society will be necessary.

Wolves do not stop eating sheep simply because you ask them too.  You either submit to the wolf pack and feed them thereby becoming their slave, or you stand up to them answering violence with violence.  You either destroy the pack or make things so difficult they find somewhere else to hunt.

Crumpp
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 03:44:06 PM by Crumpp »

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Crumpp
Wouldn't it be great if we could all just hold hands and sing Kumba-ya!!

:rolleyes:

I agree with the concept that warfare should end, emotionally.  If you don't, then your sick.

However to believe this is a practical methodology for a free people to undertake is just plain stupidity.

Until the last predator and political idea that seeks to subvert that which is human is stamped out, violence on the behalf of a free society will be necessary.

Wolves do not stop eating sheep simply because you ask them too.  You either submit to the wolf pack and feed them thereby becoming their slave, or you stand up to them answering violence with violence.  You either destroy the pack or make things so difficult they find  somewhere else to hunt.

Crumpp

And ofcoures with that attitiude things will never change will they.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2004, 04:06:41 PM »
Lada is from czech rep. He equivocates, he doesn't answer. You're wasting your time, he isn't confident enough with any of his "points" to state them directly.

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2004, 04:13:13 PM »
And ofcoures with that attitiude things will never change will they.

Spoken from an obvious position of comfort and shelter.

Again, I agree with your emotional concept but as a practical reality it is both stupid and silly.

There is never any such thing as a "good war" but there are certainly wars that have "good outcomes".  In my book, that is whenever freedom wins out over tyranny.

Unfortunately the vast majority of the world is fortunate to have even a third grade education.  They cannot understand how the book can be more powerful than the gun.  Especially when they can just shoot the bookholder and take the book.

In the begining it takes another gun staring back at them to estabilish the power of the book.

You obviously have no clue what John Stuart Mills is saying.  

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..  " (1868) -John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Crumpp
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 04:23:56 PM by Crumpp »

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2004, 05:08:58 PM »
Originally posted by Crumpp
Spoken from an obvious position of comfort and shelter.

Again, I agree with your emotional concept but as a practical reality it is both stupid and silly.

There is never any such thing as a "good war" but there are certainly wars that have "good outcomes".  In my book, that is whenever freedom wins out over tyranny.

Unfortunately the vast majority of the world is fortunate to have even a third grade education.  They cannot understand how the book can be more powerful than the gun.  Especially when they can just shoot the bookholder and take the book.

In the begining it takes another gun staring back at them to estabilish the power of the book.

You obviously have no clue what John Stuart Mills is saying.  

Crumpp

Stupid and silly?
Is that what you think the teachings of Jesus Christ and Dr Martin Luther King where stupid and silly?

There only stupid and silly If no one ever decides to put them into practice.

It can be just as easy as saying No I will not kill!
If everyone one in the world would do that indeed there would be no wars.
But ofcoures we do not live in a perfect world there are very bad people out there more than wiling to take advantage of those they percieve as week.

I am just saying that I find the irony in the fact that as a species we are so develoved yet we act no smarter than some animales at times.

It really makes you wonder dont it?

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2004, 10:58:08 PM »
Stupid and silly?
Is that what you think the teachings of Jesus Christ and Dr Martin Luther King where stupid and silly?

Where in my post do you see me saying the teachings of Christ are silly?  If you read the bible, God is a big advocate of war against injustice.  

And a great tactician.

I am just saying that I find the irony in the fact that as a species we are so develoved yet we act no smarter than some animales at times.

I do too.  Wish things were different.  It is a shame good decent men with families have to put their lives at risk to stop those who prey on the weak.  

It's also a shame that many without the fortitude to stand on that line constantly seek to find fault from a position of safety.  Thank God those men are willing to die for others freedom to express their opinion.  No matter how ill informed.

yet we act no smarter than some animales at times.

Much worse than animals sometimes.  What animal kills by strapping another of its species to a bunk and drips acid on their head so that it takes hours of extreme pain to die horribly disfigured?

The kind that wants to grow its cocaine in South America.

What animal hangs those of it's own kind up by their feet and slowly peels their skin off from the ankles to the torso?  Then laughs as they poke the poor soul with a stick to hear him scream and struggle?  All the while filming the whole thing with a surreal festive air.

The kind that wants trophy's to trade at the market in the Middle East so that their local power can be increased.

Cuts innocent heads off slowly with a dull knife so that it takes 6-10 minutes for them to die?

The kind that wants rule others through a perversion of Religion.

Everywhere you look, their are innocents in need of those with the strength of will and character to stand up and defend the defenseless.  

Everywhere you look you can also find some unbelievable acts of courage and good.  Without a doubt there is great hope for mankind.

God gave us freewill just as he gave all men a choice.  

If these predators had their way with the world what do you think they would choose?

Do you think God would send lighting bolts from the sky to stop them?  

Or do you think he would work thru men, by giving them the strength to stand up to such tyranny?

It really makes you wonder dont it?

Yes it does.

Crumpp

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2004, 08:49:11 AM »
wombat... put them into practice?   no problem... come at me in peace and don't ask anything of me and you will never see my gun.    

lazs

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2004, 09:01:39 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
no problem... come at me in peace and don't ask anything of me and you will never see my gun.    

lazs

What?  I fully expect to be firing your guns if we meet.  Is that priviledge only extended to Beet1e?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2004, 09:08:03 AM »
Ok... change that to...  unless you want to.    

lazs

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
“Wow! War is Great!”
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2004, 09:09:43 AM »
ok..that's better.  Should give you a good chuckle at least...it did for Rip, Swoop and Puck.

Actually what I need is instruction and I think you'd be the right man for the job.

:aok
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain