Author Topic: Aluminum Skin  (Read 580 times)

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Aluminum Skin
« on: December 31, 2004, 11:49:27 PM »
Anybody have any idea of how to make a skin look like it's actually aluminum? I've tried a lot of things and I still can't get it to work (using Photoshop 7).

If anybody knows how to make a skin look like it's aluminum, please give me some tips.

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Aluminum Skin
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 12:16:40 AM »
Theres only so much that people can say.  Mostly what you will need to do is experiment.  There are several here (oboe, nopoop, and waffle to name a few) that are very good at it and can maybe give you some tips.

My best advice is to look at some aluminum skins by the above guys, or look at the default B-24 texture for some good references.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Aluminum Skin
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 08:50:19 AM »
This is the best example for study that I have.   I think it was done by waffle or octavius; can't recall now.  It's the profile of a
P-47D-25:

You can export your own D25 skin, cut this jpg out and paste it into the D25 bmp and make your own custom skin to see how fantastic it looks in game.

Use photoshop's color wand to get exact values for the different colors of grey/silver in the jpg.   Try to duplicate it, start with the lighter colors first and airbrush in the darker layers, working up gradually.    Use fairly contrasting colors, too - if the grey shades are too close, it gives a bland, milky appearance - look at my in game P-47D11 skin's wings from the cockpit and you'll see what I mean.    I dont' think I used enough contrast in the shades there.

Another trick to use is to color in a few random panel sections darker or lighter than the base aluminum color you use.

Also study the natural aluminum profiles in Osprey's P-47 and P-51 "Aces" books.

Keep experimenting and good luck!

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Aluminum Skin
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 03:50:46 PM »
That looks extremely nice... I think I'll be able to figure it out :aok.

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
Aluminum Skin
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 09:30:28 PM »
Holy crap dood i wish mine looked like that!