Author Topic: Just BASIC ACM help :)  (Read 514 times)

Offline jscharpf

• Zinc Member
Just BASIC ACM help :)
« on: January 23, 2000, 10:23:00 AM »
Ok,
This is a very general question, so any help is appreciated. I've flown Air Warrior for about 3 years. I got decent in the FR arenas, without ever learning E management, or SA properly. Most of my kills were B&Z, even with 109, lol, simply because I avoided turn fights. All I ever did with a 109 was go verticle. I mean EVERY time. It was so predictable, but when I was flying that plane in AW I usually was successful 2/3 of the time, and usually landed my kills. I would hear alot about E fighting, and even had pilots tell me I was doing a good job keeping my E. I would respond with "yeah, I always fly like that", lol, not really knowing what the hell I just did.
Now I'm starting a new sim. One that is closer to the real thing. I'm starting out at ground zero, and would like to go back to basics.
1. E Management. I understand the concepts, as far as the physics go. I realize that E is a combination of alt/speed, etc. My question is HOW do I judge the oponents E?  
For example, when someone rope-a-dopes me, on occasion, I've followed him up and was able to kill him, it was as if he didn't have enough speed to begin with (I usually fly 109, and I know it climbs well). Other times I see him pulling away high and by then it's too late. I can never judge which it's going to be until I'm up there.

In a turn fight, it seems like all I ever hear is the shuddering of the plane, if I try anything besides a flat turn, I start to stall. I have had moderate success when I actually did spin at low alt in a 109, then recovered, only to find my opponent crashing into the ground. It was funny, but I don't want kills that way. Now if I could do that when I wanted to..  

I'd like to fly as an observer with someone sometime to learn. The only problem is that the last time I did that, the airspeed indicator did not work, so I didn't know how fast we were going. I hope that's fixed.
Maybe a training area/time..

I guess I'm looking for general hints, etc., not unlike any other newbie. Links are good, and I've seen some posted already..

rbn

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2000, 12:01:00 PM »
Hres a good place to begin,its Warbirds related but has relevant info.-> http://www.nitro.co.za/warbirds/links.html

------------------
}]
 JG2 "Richthofen"

Offline jscharpf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2000, 12:53:00 PM »
Thanks!  
rbn