Author Topic: Advice from a Dweeb (Lesson 2)  (Read 868 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Advice from a Dweeb (Lesson 2)
« on: May 10, 2000, 02:55:00 AM »
Listen to me, because, Just like you , I am a Dweeb !
I got a lot of lessons from "The Masters" , bus stuborn as I am, I would Nod, remember but Keep flying the foolish way I was used to (Same goes for my wife's driving, but that's another story.....)

This lesson is about gettin' CLOSE

I was usualy shooting at cons when they were closer than the D1 marker....not verry successful , maybe if he is flying straight or your Nickname is Torque.....After reading WORT's posts (Good idea to print those, btw...) I got to shoot at target from Closer .... 850.......600............500. ........ Now, I have this  85% rule that tells me : Don't fire untill YOU SEE the con ! By that I mean before you can CLEARLY see & Aim for different parts of the airplane...

95% of the Kills I get are when I shoot at planes BELOW  350 Ft away .... he's usualy already a nice fat tgt at that range....(My convergence is set in most planes at 325, except for the Hog & Pony)

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
=XO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
GMT T.O.D. SITE

JG2 "Richthofen"
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 05-10-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2000, 10:23:00 AM »
Good advice Saint,

I've always said that if your shooting from outside 300-350 yds you are for the most point wasting ammo.  Sure you may occasionally get the lucky hit, especially if your flying one of the cannons birds but for the most part you just wasting your time and ammo.

Get close and hit em hard at convergence and they die every time  

Sharky

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2000, 11:00:00 AM »
This also takes care of the "Ditching Whines" posts I see alot of....if you kill the sucker, you don't have to worry about a ditch...

JENG

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2000, 05:24:00 PM »
You are very right ripsnort   When I fly the G10 I only squeeze the tit within 300 yards (mostly 200 yards)... no problem with lethalithy from that range   They clip a wing or go booom as if I'm flying a Chog  

Bee

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2000, 08:39:00 PM »
I agree completetly about the kill range.
But sometimes it's usefull to fire beyond that range. If im on their 6 at d .800 or so and i know im not gunna catch up i use mgs to try to coax the con into thinking he's in danger and get him to turn. I use this one when i fly slower T&B planes. Just give em a light sprinkling with mgs enuf to get a ping or two, if they panic (which is what you want) they'll turn a abit or start to weave and ya catch em up for the knock-out blow.

Spat.

Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.aasvk.dk
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2000, 05:01:00 AM »
Right Spatula!
Same thing if you wanna scare a bogey away from a friends tail.

------------------
GrinBird

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2000, 05:53:00 AM »
Have to add that a level flying aircraft is really a relatively easy target even at d800 for the .50's, so I jink some when I got a fighter equppied with Hispanos and/or .50's.

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2000, 03:52:00 AM »
Spatula, I did exactly the same thing a couple of nights ago  

Chasing another P51 at 100 feet, both of us doing about 500mph after a long diving chase.  I closed to 1000yds but it was obvious I wasn't going to get much closer.

Fired about a 3 second burst which started his engine smoking.  He pulled up into an immelmann: I lagged his turn and nailed him at close range (250 yds) at the top.

But should I have been able to hit him at 1000yds?  

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
'feel the heat .......'

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2000, 04:28:00 AM »
If both of you are flying +/- level, yes....
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.