Author Topic: Excellent article on SIMHQ ! (GUNNERY)  (Read 801 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Excellent article on SIMHQ ! (GUNNERY)
« on: May 10, 2000, 06:47:00 AM »
 http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/guns1/guns1.shtml

This is the 1st part of a 3 part article, very interesting, another one printed for the record...

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
=XO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
GMT T.O.D. SITE

JG2 "Richthofen"
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 05-10-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Spoons - SimHQ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2000, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks....I'm glad you like it!  I'll be sure to pass that on to Andy Bush, the author.   SimHQ's Andy, Crash, and I have had some fun practicing in the training arena in the last couple of weeks, and I know he's working on a new tactics article that will be interesting to many who play AH.

Andy's a retired USAF pilot, having flown F-4s (including in combat over Vietnam), F-104s, and A-10s.  He also has attended and taught at the USAF Fighter Weapons School, and all I can say is that we're just damn lucky to have him on staff.  Quite a guy.

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor, SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com

[This message has been edited by Spoons - SimHQ (edited 05-10-2000).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2000, 03:38:00 PM »
I can imagine, he must be quite an Ace in your sleeve (If I may say   ).

The article may also help "new sim pilots" to understand terms like Lead , angle etc...

I'll sure be monitoring your site closer from now on !
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2000, 03:57:00 PM »
I've been enjoying alot of the SimHQ articles since I found the site    !!!

-Westy

Offline Spoons - SimHQ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2000, 06:50:00 PM »
Glad to hear it!  Comments and feedback always welcome.

I just wanted to add that Andy is the host / moderator of our Air Combat Corner / Tiger Talk Message Board and that section has a number of articles applicable to AH.  We've got several writers who know this stuff fairly well and can communicate it easily, in my opinion.  Crash, for instance, is the author of the book "How To Live And Die In The Virtual Sky" and has written some really good articles for us, as have a number of our guys.

Andy's also written articles for us on bombing and using rockets/gun in air-to-ground work, and as was mentioned, the air to air gunnery article is a three-part series.

The URL for the Air Combat Corner is: http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/air_combat.shtml

Many of the old (pre-2000) articles are NOT all that printer-friendly (some of the really old ones aren't even that screen-friendly...we used to be white text on black and the conversion wasn't 100%).  The ultimate goal is to make them all printer-friendly, but that's moving along fairly slow on my part.  If there's one you're interested in printing out, lemme know and I'll put up a printer-friendly version of it ASAP.

Thanks again.  I'll stop prostituting myself now.    

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor, SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com

[This message has been edited by Spoons - SimHQ (edited 05-10-2000).]

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2000, 07:23:00 PM »
I gave Andy a ride in my AH P-51D.  Even though I did crash trying to fly through the hanger and killed us both.  That was not my fault.    

Does he give rides in his RL F4?  Payback I think would be pretty cool.  Probably better that we both survived that ride...    

<Salute>

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
Saintaw and Mino

Thanks for the plug!

I'm doing a 2 part series on BnZ tactics...should have the first part done soon. I'm going to try and get some AH screenshots in it...assuming I can stay alive long enough to get the shot I want.

I'm enjoying AH even if I am everyone's favorite cheap kill!!

Mino..I went out and got some rudder pedals as you recommended. Makes a big difference!

Now if you guys could only convince AH to stick a padlock and an external player to target view in....

:-)

Andy

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2000, 11:46:00 AM »
I hope you don't mind some input...

I read the pages after printing them...and there's a bugger : the Images...
I only get the thumbnails, which is not enough...

Maybe you could code in the page so that when U print it, you also print the full pictures at the end (with References...)

Dunno if this is a "can do", but it would be neat  

PS :Andy, I 'm getting my Ar$e served on a plate for the last six months...but I still enjoy it   (Habbit must come from from being married....)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Spoons - SimHQ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2000, 12:18:00 PM »
Yeah, that's a tough one that we've run into before.  The problem is that you may not WANT all 40 pictures, and loading them all as the page is going up would mean page load times would be huge.

A good compromise until we figure out an answer may be this.  If you're using Internet Explorer, you can right-click on the thumbnail of the graphic you want and select "Print Target."  That will print the full-sized graphic (the target, essentially) for you.  There's no equivalent command in Netscape, unfortunately.

Using that, though, you can just print the ones you like.  Andy's really good about keeping his file names simple (fig1.jpg) and referring to them in the text, so it should be easy enough to match the graphic with the text that discusses it.

Hope that helps,

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor, SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2000, 12:59:00 PM »
Fair enough  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2000, 06:26:00 PM »
Jeepers!!

See, you got to understand that one of the screenshots I wanted was a forward view that shows a whole bunch of bad guys ahead...I'm trying to show a 'multi-bogey' environment...

So, I sallied forth in my P-51 looking at my map for the largest concentration of little dots...and I found them.

The only thing I hadn't thought thru was what I was going to do after I had all of them cornered.

To all of you that jumped on me, may the flies of a thousand camels infest your armpits!

:-D

Andy

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2000, 11:01:00 AM »

By Andy Bush:
Now if you guys could only convince AH to stick a padlock and an external player to target view in....

LOL    

Andy some of us did try!  HTC considered it and let us know the reasons why they decided not to install a padlock view.  The difficulties in creating a well done padlock view I am sure are awesome.

BUT...   The player base seems to despise the idea of padlock.  At least the vocal component of the player base.  These players will argue that simulating how a human realistically views things, aka padlock, is unrealistic and is simply an AI crutch.

If you want to be hazed, insulted, and accused of being a whiner.  I suggest that you start a padlock view thread.  Give 5 or more very good reasons why padlock is needed and is a good thing.  

The current view system for this generic line runs very deep.  The same people have played Air Warrior then Warbirds now Aces High, all 3 games with basically the same view system.  IMO the thought of a padlock view actually ivokes some kind of fear.  Hard to understand, but it is real.

For myself, the first game I really went nuts over was Falcon 3.0 which had padlock.  I learned it and liked it.  Playing Aces High, I get along just fine, but somtimes I wonder "What if?".

Good Luck and I Hope to Shoot You Down!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
Mino

I'm very much aware of the objections to the padlock view...and to the player to target external view.

I've been writing on this subject for quite some time...in fact, it was this debate that got me started with the old Enemy Lock On magazine years ago. Since then, I've set out my rationale. Being the hard-headed old retired fighter pilot that I am, naturally I feel that the forces of goodness and light are on my side!

Actually, I have some concrete reasons for the padlock and external views...all drawn from years of real life fighter experience.

Some folks listen...others don't. That's life!!

Thanks again to all you trainers. I've come to really enjoy AH and I appreciate the time you folks spend with us newbies.

Andy