Author Topic: convergence settings question  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
convergence settings question
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2001, 05:07:00 PM »
With my D pony I stagger the guns 300, 350 and 400.  Thus when I'm anywhere near my favourite range of 350 I've got at least one pair of guns at convergence.  The pattern of hits is such that you still get good hitting power between 300 and 400, good enough for snapshots to work well.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2001, 09:22:00 PM »
I guess there are many ideas +)  another way to look at it would be this...

You have your convergences staggered, as you boom in on the bogey's 6, you open fire the first set gets into convergence and passes through, the second set now moves into convergence and passes thru

You set all guns to same point, you come in on bogey's 6 movin at a good speed you open fire outside convergence, you close to convergence, and then are able to walk all 8 converged guns down the length of the badguy doin max damage..

I used to use staggered, nowadays I like em all together, plus it means when i look thru my site and put the dot on the con at 350, I know all guns will hit that point.  When staggered and u see that con at 350, some of your guns may shoot hi or lo depending on your convergence setting.

My thots

SKurj

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2001, 11:44:00 PM »
I agree that convergence setting is all about personal preference. As a fledgling no-skill mediocre 109G-6 driver   :D, the first pass is all that matters to me usually. In the MA environment, its either I drop my target on the first pass or can't drop him at all. So, most likely the first chance is all I would get, and thus, I want my target out of commision. Can't really afford to tangle and chase some one in a G6.

So, I set my convergence at 225. I don't get as many kills as most pilots who definately fly better than me, but you can bet my target is definately dead if I succeed.   :)

一擊必殺 : "One hit to definately kill"   :)

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Kweassa ]

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2001, 12:11:00 AM »
ubb bug.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
I used to use staggered convergences as well, but I do not any longer.  After a long trial of both methonds, I settled on all 8 guns converged on the same point.  I just get more kills and less assists that way in.

If you are going to stagger your convergences, try to do it so that your inner set of guns are set the farthest out.  That way each wing creates mini convergence zones where the bullet streams from each wing cross.

There are lots of ways to make this work.  The key is to find what works best for you.  When you try different settings, be sure to stay with them long enough to really see a difference.  Also, practice with your in-flight target so you get a handle on what your firing pattern looks like at.  Practice pulling your nose through the target under G load so you understand what happens to your bullet stream under those conditions.

For those of you who have not tried it, you can get a target at any range you want while in flight by typing .target xxx in the radio bar where xxx is range.  The target will appear at your altitude to the north.  Your bullets make nice punch holes in the target, so you can really see what's happening with your gunnery using this tool.

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
In the real WW2 world, pilots used shorter ranges than what you guys are using. The P-51 and P-47 flight manuals, for example, call for harmo ranges from 250 to 350 yards.

All guns were set to converge at the same point (again, flight manual procedure...what individual pilots did was something else).

But, that's the real world! We should do whatever the sim is best programmed to do...and if it allows people to hit at >500 yards, then go for it!

Andy

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
You can hit at greater than 500 yards... but you usually don't actually do any damage at that range.  I know I can't anyway.  The range that myself and others seem to find works best is 275 or 300 with all guns converging... seems to fit right in with the real-life settings too.  :)  There are some really good shots here that can handle 400 or 450 for convergence, but for most pilots that's a bit too long.  When working with new folks, I recommend 250-350 to students... and that's who the real manuals were aimed at too right?

However, some folks in this game are easily 100 times more experienced than real combat pilots were in terms of firing weapons in combat, so it's only natural that some of us shoot well at longer ranges than the standard recommended settings.  How many A2A kills do you think Drex has in virtual combat over the years?  Heheh, I bet it's a really big number.  :)  I think it fits in with the real life doctrine rather well given the lack of personal risk and the things we can't simulate like G forces on our bodies.

Andy I think in AH in general, most folks are using 250-350 yards.  At least most of the newer folks are.  It's only the much more experienced folks that use longe ranges in my estimation.  I do agree though that folks should test different settings for themselves, and see what works best for them in the game.

Offline NHMadmax

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mofsw.com
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
I get most of my kills at long distance more luck than skill. So i have mine set for between 550 600. But i am a present trying them at 400 and i dont seem to be getting as many kills at this range. Will keep playing till i get nice blance

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2001, 01:46:00 PM »
Remember, it only works if you also adjust your perception and your shooting distance.  Guns set for 600 are going to be firing higher at shorter ranges.  Now that you have moved your convergence in to 400, you may be missing if you fire at 300, because you are used to your bullets arcing quite a bit higher at that range and you are now misjudging.  It takes quite a while to re-adjust when you make changes like that, so give it time.  Also, try 275 for all guns and see what happens.  If you fire at 400 or less, I think you'll be very happy with the results.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
Another way to try it is over a nights ops try and note at what range your finger naturally goes for the trigger and try setting your convergence at that point or just under.
Basically after much trial same as Lephturn I decided this was the natural range for me, and did the most damage in the shortest possible time while still keeping guns useable at ranges up to 500.
But of course your mileage may vary.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2001, 11:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lephturn:
For those of you who have not tried it, you can get a target at any range you want while in flight by typing .target xxx in the radio bar where xxx is range.  The target will appear at your altitude to the north.  Your bullets make nice punch holes in the target, so you can really see what's happening with your gunnery using this tool.

I read this, so I tried this patterning target last night.  Very clever, very useful, very many thanks sent your way in a brown paper wrapper.  Here's a follow-up question - how do you turn it off?  It played hell with my landing.

- Oldman

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2001, 12:06:00 PM »
.target 0   turns it off +)

SKurj

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by SKurj:
.target 0   turns it off +)

SKurj

Thank you.

- Oldman

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2001, 03:06:00 PM »
Leph, the .target is a nice addition didnt even know it was there thanks for the info!
Question: If the x function is used to level the plane and your sight is below the bullseye does that mean the sight is position incorrectly?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2001, 11:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman:

Here's a follow-up question - how do you turn it off?  It played hell with my landing.

- Oldman

Damn! Why am I not around when this is happening LOL  :D

yer ol' buddy Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group