Author Topic: "On the Sight" scenario  (Read 7755 times)

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2005, 01:39:15 PM »
Originally posted by Nefarious

262 comes in and disables Nose and Tail and shoots out two engines.

We lost that bomber, but we continued until I got the boot.

So this is why Flo never returned fire on my 190 :lol

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2005, 02:11:03 PM »
One thing about doing these things is getting enough folks aware they are happening. Id really like to know the percentage of total players that actually even occasionally view the forums. My guess would be 30% or less.

Even by going in the arena and announcing the idea on channel 200, few people respond. To many the game IS the MA, the land grabbing and vulching. As much passion we have towards scenarios, theirs lie in the MA regular stuff.

We'd probably never get much involvement from that crowd anyways.  The most we could hope for is grabbing some guys who dont read the forums but do like the idea of scenarios. I know when I first started joining scenarios, I was afraid Id screw something up. Thinking is was was the old hands and they probably didnt want me there anyways. Then I learned they were happy to get anyone in there, and after a few events, they themselves become old hands.

I did like doing it in the MA. Like Paul said, people do seem attached to it. Even though its just a click away from the other arenas. I think I would like to try it again, and soon while the iron is hot. Maybe folks will be more ready to join in early the next time around. Unless its a regular event, I probably forego the idea of scoring, and concentrate mainly on participation.

I think I'll work on another one for next week, give me some ideas please and I'll get to work on it. Then its up to us to spread the word, and possibly make the idea of this seem routine, and the place to be on that night.

~AoM~

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2005, 03:47:18 PM »
Posting the operation using the Mission Editor and then announcing it on all broadcast channels was smart.
I'd bet that brought in 50% of the players that launched on command.

One suggestion.  Stagger the moving to the take off ramps.  Most couldn't see the runway thru all the clutter of airframes,  FPS dropped to 3/sec, drones didn't launch for many. Some pilots crashed on takeoff.  

Alternately, use different runway headings or different bases for each a/c type or flight.

By the time I realized we were supposed to have B17 drones, mine were all mixed in with fellow wingmen and evenually just blew up.

Question:
Were there waypoints and flight lines available.  Mine didn't show on my clipboard map, even by right clicking and selecting "My Mission"

Thanks,
Eagle
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 03:50:46 PM by Eagle327 »
Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons

"Keep 'em level, Mates. Greasy side down."

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2005, 05:18:03 PM »
Ya, we started with 20 bombers but it skyrocketed at launch. Next time we'll have to use a couple of bases. When I went to launch, my plane was stuck in a right turn like the brake was stuck. I had to get out of the mission. So I had no waypoints.

~AoM~

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2005, 05:22:32 PM »
I must add that while we were climbing out to intercept, USGrim was typing on chanel that the whole USMC squad was going to intercept the incomming buffs.

Unlike other Knights, USGrim, when being told about the 'mini scenario', called off the attack by the USMC. Given the USMC numbers , and quality of flyers, USGRim calling off his squads attack saved our scenario.

I the USMC, and their CO Grim, they are a class act and a benefit to the community. As well all the other Knights who restrained in attacking such a juicy target.
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2005, 10:20:22 PM »
Definately airbumba!  WTg Grim and USMC!  The next time I do something like this Im gonna make sure I find a way to contact them to take part in a big way :)

~AoM~

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2005, 11:33:58 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Ya, we started with 20 bombers but it skyrocketed at launch. Next time we'll have to use a couple of bases. When I went to launch, my plane was stuck in a right turn like the brake was stuck. I had to get out of the mission. So I had no waypoints.

Ewe didn't have any anyway, the mission file was porked :)

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2005, 03:26:44 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH

I think I'll work on another one for next week, give me some ideas please and I'll get to work on it. Then its up to us to spread the word, and possibly make the idea of this seem routine, and the place to be on that night.

Maybe a USAF vs. IJN CV ops mission?  If we could coordinate with players (maybe even skuzzy) we could move 2 CVs in order to recreate some of the great Naval/USMC IJN fights?  One protects the CV, one tries to sink CV...

(Not too keen on many Pacific theater operations.  Maybe someone could help me out on this one)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2005, 07:28:16 AM »
YA Im thinkin of Pac too.

~AoM~

Offline SteffK

• Silver Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2005, 08:28:01 AM »
Thanks to those that organised this bit of Fun...Filth and ROC...Even though at  03:30 (GMT) Sunday Morning I was calling you black and blue, so was the other half!!!!

Thanks to Airbumba, the Mad Canadian ;) , for leading us 3 bleary eyed Brits (Paul69, BatfinkV and I) into a demented battle, then calling 'Where are you? I can't see you!!!!' to which Batfink replys, 'Don't worry I can see you!!'. :rofl You did good Airbumba.

Finally thanks to all who participated...It was FUN!!!!

Here's to the next one, am looking forward to it with great anticipation :D

<>
Steff K
This is the Flag of my Country!
This is the Flag of St George!!!
This is the Flag of my Country!

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2005, 11:12:45 AM »
Hehe steff...We'll try to do the next one a lil earlier for you guys over there :)

~AoM~

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Some Screenshots
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2005, 01:26:12 PM »

Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2005, 01:29:02 PM »

Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2005, 01:38:30 PM »
Thanks Flossy!

Skuzzy we're done with this thread if you'd like to delete it now.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 03:18:26 PM by FiLtH »

~AoM~

Online Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Re: "On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2009, 05:13:05 AM »
 :)

What a nice snapshot of the AH community back then.
Time's fun when you're having flies.