Author Topic: this annoys me  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
this annoys me
« on: January 26, 2005, 01:09:03 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4178643.stm

German politicians have called for Nazi symbols to be banned throughout Europe after Prince Harry was pictured wearing a swastika to a fancy dress party.

The Liberal group in the European Parliament argue all of Europe suffered because of the Nazis' crimes, so there should be a continent-wide ban.

why should we ban the swastika?  why should we hide from history and not allow certain symbols in a free society?

Christianity has sure done some dastardly deeds in history, why arent there calls to ban the cross symbol? :rolleyes:

f* germany!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
this annoys me
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 01:12:55 PM »
why arent there calls to ban the cross symbol?

In our country there is many such calls.  It's sick what the liberal left will try to pull under the guise of "civil liberties"
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
this annoys me
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 01:15:07 PM »
So you are pro-swastika?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
this annoys me
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 01:15:33 PM »

The Liberal group in the European Parliament argue all of Europe suffered because of the Nazis' crimes, so there should be a continent-wide ban.

the whole world has suffered from ugly chicks. there should be a worldwide ban on ugly chicks.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
this annoys me
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 01:16:05 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
So you are pro-swastika?

no, i just dont believe it should be censored.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline patrone

• Nickel Member
this annoys me
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 01:16:19 PM »
Its banned here, you ware it in public, you will get into great trouble. There are special rules to "re-enactors" though.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
this annoys me
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 01:20:23 PM »
it is a symbal and part of histoy, I have never understood the ban on it.

Seeing one is not going to make normal people nazis.

Did this start with the US ocupation in Germany after the war or did the Germans impose it on themselves?

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
this annoys me
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 01:21:13 PM »
the romans tried very hard to ban the cross if i am not mistaken.

i have a tendency to think that banning things only makes them worse.  sort of like catholic school girls if ya know what i mean.

its interesting because i dont see the rising sun being banned anywhere and japan was an agressor.

so its the holocaust?  is that what its about?  is that what serves as the differentiator between the swastika and other symbols.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
this annoys me
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 01:25:14 PM »
living in the south for the past 5 years, i have seen alot of this in regards to the confederate flag.

im opposed to its bannishment too.  not because i am a confederate, but because i think that when you add power to the symbol, the symbol gets more powerful.

interesting...after the civil war the north was great about allowing the rebs to pay tribute to thier leaders.  

in richmond VA, there is a street called monumemt avenue where there are statues of all of the southern generals and statesmen lining it.

recently they added another right at the end, arthur ashe, the tennis player who died of aids.

now thats the way to do it.

lol
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
this annoys me
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 01:37:46 PM »
History doesn't go away by closing your eyes. You study, you learn.

Stupid idea to try to close your eyes from one of the most important happenings in the modern history.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
this annoys me
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 02:06:41 PM »
In our country its not forbiden to show swastika or other things related to nacism.

But propagation of nacism is forbiden.

So you can wave with nazi flag, and no problem.... but if you open your mouth and say... Naziiiiis are goood... then you have serious troubles.

Im not sure whats does mean  "Ban of swastika"  Swastika have some special meaning for us and all study books are full of it.  Im not quite sure what should be banned.

However i used to read on BBC few days ago, that Hindo in UK would like to change Europian view on symbol "Swastika"

Actualy ... is Mein Kampf banned  in your country ? (here it is, but people laugh on that Ban and consider it stupid)

But the director of human rights group Liberty told the BBC education would be more beneficial than a ban.

since we still have sutch people, i dont think that some bans will occure

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Re: this annoys me
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 02:11:39 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
[B

why should we ban the swastika?  why should we hide from history and not allow certain symbols in a free society?

[/B]

Maybe because it symbolized the regime the gassed 6 million Jews.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
this annoys me
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 02:15:52 PM »
If your rely only on the symbol to remember history you are IMO in trouble.

The symbol is forbiden here but it's also forbiden to forget ! and it's more important than a little symbol.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
this annoys me
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 02:22:48 PM »
Originally posted by lada

Actualy ... is Mein Kampf banned  in your country ? (here it is, but people laugh on that Ban and consider it stupid)

ive read it.  its horrible.  

yet they keep that tome of literary tripe on the bookshelves while they scream at the top of thier pithy lungs that spongebob squarepants is a studmuffin and try to ban any book from libraries that attempt to stock anything near progressive.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
this annoys me
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 02:26:06 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
So you are pro-swastika?

I am.

When making German WWII model aircraft, I likle the Swastika to be on them, just like they really did.

The 190 kit I'm making now ( French made) does not have the swastica's and that's gay.

Beyond that, I have nothing against the swastica in general. It was a symbol long before Hitler ever used it.