Author Topic: P-38L Training  (Read 784 times)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
P-38L Training
« on: November 17, 2001, 02:31:00 AM »
How does one go about getting a trainer?  I flew the P-38J in AW and want to continue flying the P-38L in here but I really need some help in it.  If any of the trainers browse through and see this post, I can be contacted for scheduling a training session at awarharry@home.com

thanks,

Ack-Ack
479th Raiders FG
Knights

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
P-38L Training
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2001, 04:33:00 PM »
Simple, just contact one via MA bye crying out for a trainer on channel 1  :D, or try contacting the trainer master Lephturn. He will probably schedule a training for you by assigning a trainer that suits your time zone.

One word of advice.. I've never been in AW, but judging from some things I've learned by evesdroppin' on LOT of conversations.. the P-38L is quite quite different from what you might expect for a P-38J according to your AW experience. In AH, P-38L is known as a VERY challenging plane even for the most experienced pilots(come to think of it.. I think I've never landed a P-38 safely home..). I suggest you try some other planes first, just to get the feel of AH  :)

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
P-38L Training
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2001, 12:17:00 AM »
Yeah but from what fester does with it well....it can be one hell of a plane.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
P-38L Training
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2001, 04:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa:
Simple, just contact one via MA bye crying out for a trainer on channel 1   :D, or try contacting the trainer master Lephturn. He will probably schedule a training for you by assigning a trainer that suits your time zone.

One word of advice.. I've never been in AW, but judging from some things I've learned by evesdroppin' on LOT of conversations.. the P-38L is quite quite different from what you might expect for a P-38J according to your AW experience. In AH, P-38L is known as a VERY challenging plane even for the most experienced pilots(come to think of it.. I think I've never landed a P-38 safely home..). I suggest you try some other planes first, just to get the feel of AH   :)

P-38 in AW wasn't the easiest plane to fly either, it just with the different flight models of each game, it was just a different type of flying.  I've noticed that the P-38L in AH isn't the turner that the P-38J is in AW, it seems to be more of an E fighter than an angles one.  But I'm glad to see that it does behave in the vertical as good as the P-38J in AW does and can keep up with a Dweebfire for a couple of turns.

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
P-38L Training
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2001, 06:11:00 PM »
Two words "Manual Trim" <- try and get lotsa practice with it.  P38L is a killa

:D

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
P-38L Training
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
Hehe, sorry if I offended you. I'm not suggesting that a P-38 was a UBER plane in AW or something, nor am I suggesting that you sound as if you expect it to be  ;)

I just mentioned that bit because...

Many people new to AH seem to complain about the P-38 in general in reference to their knowledge about the plane(especially people who have played this for like 1 week) in only one aspect.

I'm no expert either, but what I do understand is the difference between the types of planes the P-38L meets in the MA and the types of planes the P-38L met in Pacific theater of the war.

AH takes pride in its amount of research and correct historical representation(except, some things - like the dive flaps Tac complains about - yet remain to be corrected.. it's not a PERFECT game either). Sure, some stuff are still fishy, and being figured out, but I think in general, AH community truly believes AH has modelled and recreated the planes as they should be.

Often I hear people complaining:

"Hey! the P-38s turned well.. it should out turn a Spit easily.." (I actually heard this one!)
 "Hey! I heard the P-38 climbed well.. it can't outclimb anything here.."
 "Hey! P-38 was supposed to be a fast plane.. it sure don't seem that fast to me.. it's porked"

.. etc etc  :rolleyes:

The P-38L WAS FAST - compared to most JP planes.
 The P-38L CIMBED WELL - compared to JP planes.
 The P-38L TURNED WELL - compared to other USN planes(esp. the Corsair).

But under competition with contendors from the European theater, like 109s, 190s, Spitfires and etc.. It does not have a specific advantage over most of the planes that specialized in very different type of air combat from that of the Pacific.

It probably turned better than F4Us, out climbed Zero-sens, and it probably out ran a Ki-61... but P-38's not gonna out turn a Spit, nor is it gonna out climb a 109G10, nor is it gonna out run a 190D9..

Yeah, this is really probably material for a seperate thread.. but I sort of had that on my mind when I wrote my reply above. I ask for your gracious forgiveness  Ack-Ack  :)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
P-38L Training
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2001, 01:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zygote:
Two words "Manual Trim" <- try and get lotsa practice with it.  P38L is a killa

:D

Someone told me about that as well as not to use combat trim in a P-38L while fighting.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
P-38L Training
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2001, 01:46:00 AM »
So far I've yet see anything wrong with the P-38L in here.  It's a nice ride and enjoy flying it but I can still use some tips in flying it.  

Originally posted by Kweassa:
Hehe, sorry if I offended you. I'm not suggesting that a P-38 was a UBER plane in AW or something, nor am I suggesting that you sound as if you expect it to be   ;)

I just mentioned that bit because...

Many people new to AH seem to complain about the P-38 in general in reference to their knowledge about the plane(especially people who have played this for like 1 week) in only one aspect.

I'm no expert either, but what I do understand is the difference between the types of planes the P-38L meets in the MA and the types of planes the P-38L met in Pacific theater of the war.

AH takes pride in its amount of research and correct historical representation(except, some things - like the dive flaps Tac complains about - yet remain to be corrected.. it's not a PERFECT game either). Sure, some stuff are still fishy, and being figured out, but I think in general, AH community truly believes AH has modelled and recreated the planes as they should be.

Often I hear people complaining:

"Hey! the P-38s turned well.. it should out turn a Spit easily.." (I actually heard this one!)
 "Hey! I heard the P-38 climbed well.. it can't outclimb anything here.."
 "Hey! P-38 was supposed to be a fast plane.. it sure don't seem that fast to me.. it's porked"

.. etc etc   :rolleyes:

The P-38L WAS FAST - compared to most JP planes.
 The P-38L CIMBED WELL - compared to JP planes.
 The P-38L TURNED WELL - compared to other USN planes(esp. the Corsair).

But under competition with contendors from the European theater, like 109s, 190s, Spitfires and etc.. It does not have a specific advantage over most of the planes that specialized in very different type of air combat from that of the Pacific.

It probably turned better than F4Us, out climbed Zero-sens, and it probably out ran a Ki-61... but P-38's not gonna out turn a Spit, nor is it gonna out climb a 109G10, nor is it gonna out run a 190D9..

Yeah, this is really probably material for a seperate thread.. but I sort of had that on my mind when I wrote my reply above. I ask for your gracious forgiveness  Ack-Ack   :)