Author Topic: P38G Rudder  (Read 319 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/empire21productions
P38G Rudder
« on: January 29, 2005, 01:21:10 AM »
After knocking my rudders off on takeoff (I was goofing around offline, and meant to do it) :), I still had rudder control on the runway. Don't know if I had rudder control in the air, since I knocked my stabs off in the process as well :)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
P38G Rudder
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 05:18:27 AM »
If your wheels were on the ground - you have nose wheel steering.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Jnuk

• Copper Member
P38G Rudder
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 08:53:45 AM »
I had a similar problem in the p38g.
I got rammed and  the damage list showed the right vert stab, right rudder, and elevator damaged.
I still had full use of the elevator though, and you could still see it when It was deflected up or down.
also, the rf antennae or whatever that is was still hanging there as if attached to the vert stab.
I have a pic but no way to post it just now.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
P38G Rudder
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 03:00:13 PM »
Originally posted by Wolfala
If your wheels were on the ground - you have nose wheel steering.

You shouldn't. The P-38 had a caster type nosewheel and it was not steerable in the sense that it was not controlled by either the yoke or the rudders. To steer a P-38 on the ground you use differential throttle and/or braking, and you make sure it is pointed straight before the take off roll begins.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe