Author Topic: My thoughts of Mexico  (Read 351 times)

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« on: January 30, 2005, 02:50:03 PM »
Just arrived from Cozumel Mexico.  First time on a jet, first time leaving the country.  What a neat place.  

My first impressions from the plane were of the vast expanses of jungle surrounding Cancun.  The big airbus I was on swung in low over the amazingly blue water.  It kept getting lower and lower, I could see people swimming in the ocean with ease.  When I took off from the U.S., it was 22 degrees.  As soon as the doors popped open, I could feel the humid 85 degree air rush in.

It took me a day or two to get used to the culture shock.  The locals really hustle to get you to visit their shops, or ride in their taxis.  Its a little uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it.

Its easy and legal (I think) to get what you want in Mexico.  The guy I traveled with down there is a real partier.  He had no trouble getting prescription drugs, booze, weed, and full service girls.  Of course I didnt do any of that stuff :lol

The locals were all pretty poor.  Made me feel a bit sorry for them.  The resorts on the island are owned by 5 different families.  Its a case of the rich getting richer, and poor getting poorer.  I made sure to tip well and be very polite to the locals.  They were all friendly in return.  

I will post some pictures in a few.

Oh yeah, never ever stay at the Fiesta Americana Dive Resort in Cozumel, they charge $9 U.S. for bottled water :(

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 03:05:29 PM »

Me 60 feet underwater

Some coral.

This crab was the size of a medium dog, its claws were as big as my hands.

My crazy traveling partner, who happens to be my brother.

My hotel.

Shot of the caribbean sea.

Shot of the town.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 03:09:35 PM by SunTracker »

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 03:09:05 PM »
Mexico is a great place. Just stay away from tourist towns and border towns. Monterrey is probably my favorite city in Mexico. It's like the NYC of Mexico, lots of places that are open all night. The people are rather open and abrupt and speak with a distinct north eastern accent. And cabs are everywhere. There's even a subway.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 03:44:26 PM »
Originally posted by Suave
Mexico is a great place. Just stay away from tourist towns and border towns. Monterrey is probably my favorite city in Mexico.
snip

Yeah, cool place (about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house). Nice race track, lotsa sightseeing opportunities within short driving range, beautiful brewery to tour, super downtown pedestrian shopping district, sophisticated nightclub scene, etc.

Ever check out the resort up on of Chipinque mountain? Its about 4 1/2 thousand feet higher than the city, and the mountain is covered with a rain forest populated with orchids, parrots, etc, stays about 70°F year round. Spectacular night viewing of the city below from the patio outside the bar and many of the rooms. Given that its only about a 20-30 minute drive from dead center downtown, I refuse to stay anywhere else when I go there. Recommended :)

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 04:19:59 PM »
Tell your buddy to be careful... He is as likely to get robbed as he is to score.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 04:23:42 PM »
Interesting post! Wow, 60ft down. The deepest I ever went was 12ft 6in to the bottom of my local pool, and even that hurt my ears in the last three feet.

What kind of crab was that? I think it's still too small to be a King Crab. Did you mess with it? ;)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 04:32:31 PM »
Beetle, you need to expand your world..>

Try pressurizing your ears it will feel much better.  

If that was a King Crab, he's a bit lost...

http://www.bartleby.com/61/78/K0067800.html

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 04:55:38 PM »
Tell your buddy to be careful... He is as likely to get robbed as he is to score.

Lol...prostitution is legal in cozumel.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 05:30:16 PM »
When I went to Cancun, my favorite part of the trip was hopping on a city bus and riding around the town. Once you left the tourist district you got the true flavor of the city and it's people. It was great.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 05:34:19 PM »
Hows the food ?
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 06:15:34 PM »
Did you make it to Charlies?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
one other thing
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 06:32:21 PM »
ST - don't know whether you knew about this, what with it having been your first jet flight, but...

...leave one clear day between your last dive and your flight home. People have been known to be caught out.

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Re: one other thing
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 08:00:44 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
ST - don't know whether you knew about this, what with it having been your first jet flight, but...

...leave one clear day between your last dive and your flight home. People have been known to be caught out.

DAN the Divers alert network If I remember right states 12-18 hrs after your last dive is safe to fly.

I always waite a full 24 hrs just to be safe my dive computer always tells me I can fly earlier but what the heck better safe than sorry.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
My thoughts of Mexico
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 08:15:34 PM »
One thing I know about "Border" towns is never leave the paved roads.  If you're walking somwere and the road turns to dirt turn around.

Non-border towns are different of course.