Author Topic: Rebates: Worth the Hassle?  (Read 617 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Rebates: Worth the Hassle?
« on: February 05, 2005, 06:17:03 PM »
Aren't you getting a little tired of filling out those tedious forms and copying receipts and mutiliating your product boxes to get a few bucks back from main-in rebates?  

Why don't retailers just function as a complete point of contact and give instant rebates as reductions in price?  What a novel idea -- used to call that "On Sale."

What's next -- clipping off furniture tags and making charcoal prints of automobile serial numbers to get some bucks off?

Am I missing something here?  Are rebates good or bad instead of just featuring select items on sale and cutting out all the paperwork crap?

The most pessimistic interpretation is retailers and companies offering rebates 1) to bludgeon store and product identity into consumer brains; 2) to lure customers into purchases knowing that some will not take the trouble to do all the rebate paperwork while others will submit the rebate incorrectly or incompletely and thus receive nothing; 3) snare names and phone numbers for followup advertising or, worse, selling or trading that to other companies.

The most optimistic interpretation is retailers and companies simply wanting to build more customer gratitude and loyalty by brand names.  But even that is a major paperwork hassle for the stores, companies, and consumers.

The biggest names are among the biggest rebaters, e.g., Microsoft and Intuit, so they must know sumpthin, they just keep rollin along.  

What do you think?  Are rebates a good or bad idea?  Would it all be better if stores and companies simply went back to putting some things on sale for cheaper purchase right at the cash register without any additional requirements?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 06:28:19 PM »
I think that you nailed it.  Rebates are typically better for the store and manufacturer for the reasons you mentioned.  I love rebates however.  I’m poor and they are worth my time.  In my machine, have a CD burner, a pack of 100 CDs and 100 jewel cases for the price of $5.00 and 3 stamps.  I love Office Max.  I think that they stopped giving such great deals though.  I don’t see those offers much any more.

eskimo

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 06:48:43 PM »
yep they make rebates purposely difficult because that way consumers dont get them. You gotta have certain packaging materials or receipts or upcs and oftern there are stipulations such as original or some such other bs. I recently used two for a new monitor.(Samsung 712n) wound up eventually getting both took about 3 months but got 90 bucks back.

Whether they are worth it depends on how much you get back and how much a pain you got to go through to get them.

Offline RTStuka

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 07:09:55 PM »
I usually base my decision on the money involved. When I got my newest phone their was a 75 dollar rebate so I had no problem going through the trouble for that. But when it comes to the 5-20 dollar rebates its a little less motivating for me.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 08:20:07 PM »
I haven't really run into any rebate that was hard yet.  Fill out a form, print out an envelope, cut out UPC, stamp, mail.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 08:51:53 PM »
i hate mail in rebates, if your going to give me a discount give it to me NOW, not 90 days from now.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 10:15:30 PM »
Your lucky if you get it in 6 months
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 10:45:07 PM »
I have a stack of rebates waiting to be mailed in.  New monitor.  HD a while back.  External Drive, etc.  There's at least a half dozen.  I suppose I should mail them in.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 10:46:05 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
I have a stack of rebates waiting to be mailed in.  New monitor.  HD a while back.  External Drive, etc.  There's at least a half dozen.  I suppose I should mail them in.

You're lying, Martlet.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 11:02:53 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
You're lying, Martlet.

Of course I am.  I'm trying to walk a mile in Clinton's shoes to see what it's like to be a liberal.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 11:08:22 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
I haven't really run into any rebate that was hard yet.  Fill out a form, print out an envelope, cut out UPC, stamp, mail.

Wait till you get something with two rebates and both want original receipt, upc code whatever.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 11:12:53 PM »
I have POS software and make my own receipts. I love rebates.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Heiliger

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 12:36:16 AM »
Originally posted by Raider179
Wait till you get something with two rebates and both want original receipt, upc code whatever.

Yeah we been there before.  :(

Or how about this one: my video card had a $40 or $50 dollar rebate on it.  The rebate requested that the "proof of purchase" be mailed in.  The problem was, there was NOT a  freaking "proof of purchase" on the box!  We called and they said, "OK just mail the whole front of the box then".  Weeks later, still no money, my wife called about it while I was at work.  They told her she couldn't get the rebate because there was no "proof of purchase".  She lost it (just been screwed out of $100 on a monitor rebate) and she began fighting with the guy on whether or not there was such a thing on the box.  After she told him, "I sent you the whole face of the box, what better 'proof of purchase' do you need???  When you get off work, drive your oscar down to Best Buy and look for yourself", they caved in and finally mailed the check.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 03:48:03 AM »
I never quite understood the logic behind the rebates. But the number of people who never bother to mail in the rebates must be large which gives more profit in return.

The large companies also benefit from the additional cash flow even if they do give rebates - it's like getting a free loan from the consumers. A loan that you always don't even have to pay back.

Heck, getting $90 in cash from 500 000 people for basically nothing.. That's real money and value.

In that sense it's a genius idea.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 08:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
I never quite understood the logic behind the rebates. But the number of people who never bother to mail in the rebates must be large which gives more profit in return.

The large companies also benefit from the additional cash flow even if they do give rebates - it's like getting a free loan from the consumers. A loan that you always don't even have to pay back.

Heck, getting $90 in cash from 500 000 people for basically nothing.. That's real money and value.

In that sense it's a genius idea.

It is, really.  The largest rebate I have here is 30 bucks from the Samsung monitor.  I bought it a few weeks ago.

Now that I actually look at them all, I'll probably mail them in since I see they are worth over $100 total.  But just 30 bucks would sit there for awhile.

It is a good scam.