Author Topic: "normal" temp for a AMD 64?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
"normal" temp for a AMD 64?
« on: February 06, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »
Curious what normal temp under a full load is for AMD 64....

Bumped my FSB to 220 and its running ~45C going up to 54C under a full load...didnt know whats considered normal for the chip.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 05:29:20 PM »
Thats ok.

Standard my 3500 with stock cooler would go as high as 65 under AH loads.
Now overclocked it rarely goes above 50 with my current cpu cooler.

Offline whels

• Silver Member
Re: "normal" temp for a AMD 64?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 07:13:49 PM »
Originally posted by humble
Curious what normal temp under a full load is for AMD 64....

Bumped my FSB to 220 and its running ~45C going up to 54C under a full load...didnt know whats considered normal for the chip.

my AMD64 is 38 idle 43 load but im water cooled.
your  case temp will effect your cpu temp if u air
cool. u might need to pull in and out more air to
get your case temp down.  45c idle tells me your case temp
is pretty high with hot air hanging around. also
look and make sure you have your cables and wires
tiddy as they can restrict air flow.but 54  is not all that high, just keep it under 60.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 09:50:24 PM »
I'm getting some lockups at 220 with VC reset to "stock"....temp is fine ~54/55 C. It dumped me to desktop in AH once and froze on me once. Curious about cause....from what I understand I'm well within limits of chip...memory or other things I should check out???

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 09:56:26 PM »
Under 60C is "normal", but if you're getting lockups at lower temps you might consider adding .05 - .1 volts to the cpu to see if that will stabilize it.  If better cooling is an option, give that a try too.  50-55C shouldn't be cause for concern unless you're seeing instability, and even then you'll have to determine if it's the memory or the cpu.  That may not be too difficult since the athlon 64 cpus are only multiplier locked upwards.  You can run any athlon 64 at a lower multipler without problems, so to check your memory, reduce the cpu multiplier a few increments (from 10 to 8, etc) and see if you still get instability.  If it keeps crashing, it's not your cpu.  If it becomes stable when running a lower cpu multiplier, you either need better cpu cooling or a *slight* boost in voltage.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 10:24:20 PM »
Thanks....so far it seems to be AH related. I can run benchmarks fine and play Call of Duty with no problem....

Offline yb11

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 01:15:50 AM »
try to go  from 220 to 218

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 03:24:40 AM »
I've found that AH stresses my computer more than the benchmarks do, so an otherwise stable overclock will often result in a blue-screen crash when running AH.  Dunno why, but that's what happens.  I'm having to completely re-run my overclocking stability tests to determine whether it's my cpu or ram.

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 10:59:56 AM »
Eagl,

If memory serves you I think you have the Neo 2 platinum.

If so this is the same board I have, perhaps we could compare notes.  I am running a amd64 3000+ @ 2.4ghz.  I only played for about 45 minutes last nite with no crashes. I am however getting a broken cockpit pillar issue when I pan my view.  I am more inclined to think it vid card.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 11:50:45 AM »
I only played for about 45 minutes last nite with no crashes.

I bet you were alt hugging! I get usually shot down several times in that time. :p

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 12:35:56 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
I've found that AH stresses my computer more than the benchmarks do, so an otherwise stable overclock will often result in a blue-screen crash when running AH.  Dunno why, but that's what happens.  I'm having to completely re-run my overclocking stability tests to determine whether it's my cpu or ram.

Easy.  Flight modeling requires an enormous amount of floating-point calculations.  There is not an FPS game on the planet which comes close to what is required of a good flight simulator in terms of floating-point calculations required per frame.
Floating-point calculations are what drives the CPU temperatures up the most.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 05:30:18 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline buzkill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 05:19:19 PM »
Originally posted by humble
Thanks....so far it seems to be AH related. I can run benchmarks fine and play Call of Duty with no problem....

united offensive???.....whats your sig. and when u on?:D

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 09:38:27 PM »
Originally posted by buzkill
united offensive???.....whats your sig. and when u on?:D

Actually just bought it....used to play DoD some....havent been online with call of duty yet....do have united offensive also....will probably use snaphook as game ID

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 04:16:56 PM »
The torture tests I use are the 3 prime95 tests.  One stresses primarly the FPU, one produces max CPU heat, and the last one loads up 100% of available physical ram as well to load the entire memory and cpu system.  Before I fiddled with some settings, I could run stable at 220 FSB but not at 230 FSB.  That may have been cpu related though, so I backed off the cpu multiplier, loosened up the mem timings, and tried again.

Right now, here are my parts and settings:

Athlon 64 3200 winchester
2x512 meg crucial ballistix pc3200
thermalright XP90 heatsink with 92 mm fan @ 3100 rpm
GeForce 6800GT at 400/1100 gpu/mem

HTT mult - 4x
FSB - 230
mem speed - 230
mem timings - 2.5 3 3 10
mem voltage - auto
cpu mult - 9 (2070 mhz)
cpu voltage - 1.45v
AGP/PCI bus locked at 66/33

I'm most worried about cpu temp since the mobo is reporting around 55C at max load during torture tests.  The heatsink paste hasn't fully settled in so I expect that to drop a bit, but adding more airflow through the heatsink didn't seem to do anything for cpu temps so I just might be at the max heat load for that heatsink, dunno.  Or it's not seating properly even after removing it, reapplying the paste using a different method, and re-seating the heatsink.

Using the same fsb but 10 on the cpu mult and 2.5 3 3 8 on the ram timings, prime95 died after 6 hours and AH would bluescreen after about 45 min of play.  With the current settings, prime95 ran 10 hours without any problems but since I'm still messing with the settings I haven't done any real testing with AH yet.  I also haven't done any real benchmarking yet, just using prime95 and memtest86 for stability testing.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 09:14:46 AM »
55c is a tad high for 2100ish mhz, but its still fine

myself i have a slient boost cooler which is made for quiet, not performance. I have had my 2000mhz wincester running at 2300mhz and 1.6volts (extreme) most of winter and never toped 50c

now running at default cos i think the 4 months at 1.6volts has done some damage...... :rolleyes: but thats the risk you take
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37