Author Topic: "normal" temp for a AMD 64?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
"normal" temp for a AMD 64?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2005, 12:59:48 PM »
or get those lottery numbers nailed down.....lol

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2005, 08:18:20 AM »
I agree on the importance of getting the case nice and warm during testing.  One thing I do is run a little windowed graphics thingy called rithdrbl that puts a ton of stress on the vid card.  I'll run that and prime95 for an hour to get the case nice and hot, then halt rithdrbl to give the prime95 process 100% of the cpu to see if it gets any errors.  Every hour or so, I'll re-run rithdrbl to heat up the case again.

I suspect I'm having heatsink/cpu mating problems.  Temps are just too warm for the cpu and they didnt' drop during the artic silver burn-in process like they should have.  And the heatsink remains completely cold to the touch, when it should be pretty darn hot.  So something is going wrong.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2005, 01:29:13 PM »
humble, my temps were about the same as yours with the stock cooler, Ive read in a few places that the Nforce 3 boards were having trouble with the temp readings so i took the temps i was getting with a grain of salt . I have since put a thermaltake venus 12 on and my temps are 36c idle , and 50c at full load with a probe . this is at a fsb of 215.  Im having trouble going over that,while still keeping my ram at CL2 if i go 2.5 latency i can go to 220 without issue , and my temps really dont change much. if i go anything over 220 windows will do the infinate boot thingie just keeps rebootin itself.  fwiw 38

btw have any of you guys had problems removing the cpu heatsink, everytime i do it pulls the cpu right out of the socket no matter how much i wiggle and try to be gentle.  seems like the artic silver creates such a bond i have to slide it off the heatsink just to break it the suction
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 01:33:09 PM by 38ruk »

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2005, 03:44:20 PM »
I had mine running at 220, AH would run for 30-40 minutes till it dumpred froze etc....temp didnt seem to get over 55-56 C so dont think it was a heat dump since system didnt lock.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2005, 04:03:54 PM »
I just removed and reattached my heatsink with less heatsink paste, and temps are down about 6C.  I was up to around 56C at max load, and right now I'm around 50C at load.  Plus this time, I can feel the heatsink get warm.

I'm pretty sure I just had too much paste on the cpu.  I applied it this time using the "drop of paste in the center" method recommended for cpus with heat spreaders, and it seems to be working fine.  Hopefully as the paste settles and spreads I'll get another couple of degrees drop in temps.  This is with the cpu at 2070.  After I verify it works ok and remains cool, I'll probably bump the cpu multipler to run it at 10x instead of 9x, which would get me 2300mhz instead of 2070.

If the cpu crashes at 56C, then try increasing the voltage .05 or .1 v.  That can help.  Otherwise, get a better heatsink and try again.

Offline JstAnotherSquid

• Zinc Member
      • http://forums.charlotteriders.com/
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2005, 07:18:41 PM »
Hey eagl, long time no speak.  I hear you are still flying, and that's great news.  Is Roamer still in the Pigs?  Do you know his current email address?  Thanks, Squid.  :)

edit - sorry for the hijack, humble.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 07:22:00 PM by JstAnotherSquid »

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2005, 02:13:19 AM »
Squid as in eric?  If so, heya!

Shoot me an email.  eagle at flyingpigs dot com.  I have roamers email addy but don't want to post it in a forum.