Author Topic: a few basic questions  (Read 690 times)

Offline 54Ed

• Zinc Member
a few basic questions
« on: October 29, 2000, 06:23:00 PM »
Hi all:

New to AH, coming from FA.  A few how-to questions that I haven't been able to work out yet:

1)  Once I land and stop my engine, how do I refuel and rearm?

2)  On the map view, obviously not all of the enemy planes show up as red dots.  By what criteria are they shown or not shown?  Are all friendly planes shown?

3)  Are enemy tanks and vehicles shown on the map?  How else can they be found?

4)  Is there a way to check the quality of my connection?  Is there a way to determine if I am UDP or TCP?

TIA

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
a few basic questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2000, 07:16:00 PM »
Hi 54Ed

1)  Once I land and stop my engine, how do I refuel and rearm?

At the end of each runway is a pad with a little shack beside it. Stop on this pad to refuel/rearm. If you shut your engine off, then your wep will also regenerate.

2)  On the map view, obviously not all of the enemy planes show up as red dots.  By what criteria are they shown or not shown?  Are all friendly planes shown?

I think the radar is good for about 12.5 miles from friendly bases..beyond this all you see is a sector marker. (red square)

3)  Are enemy tanks and vehicles shown on the map?  How else can they be found?

Vehicles are shown only as a sector marker...not individual vehicles. If you see a sector marker around a friendly field...and no aircraft in the air, chances are there is a vehicle enroute, or already there. Just have to fly low and keep an eye out.

4)  Is there a way to check the quality of my connection?  Is there a way to determine if I am UDP or TCP?

Sorry, this I can't answer.

Goodluck..hope to see you up there.

------------------
griz
THUNDERBIRDS
------------------
-234 RAF- Malta
Med. League
------------------

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
a few basic questions
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2000, 07:32:00 PM »
Hi

1: 2 choices here, either

A  exit plane (type " .ef " into radio buffer) or click tower button on clipboard.

B Reload/rearm by stopping on the grey metal strip area at the end of the runway. You will see a host msg stating that refueling has started, another when it's finished.
(There is a small outhouse like structure here also)

2 Any plane flying below radar will not be seen. (believe it's 300' AGL) Also dependant on condition of local radar and HQ. Either
or both of which can be bombed disableing radar. Same applies for friendly AC.

3 Vehicles are not shown on dar, however they are indicated on the sector counters.
Anytime you see a hotly contested field that is not captured right away it is usually a sign of lots of ground vehicles. Also a field under attack with large sector counter, but only a few plane dots on dar.

4 Clipboard,Setup, network will show you a graph of your connect to HTC. Looking for a fairly smooth line in the center. Spikes that reach to the top are not a good sign.
Unless you see a host msg telling you that you've switched to tcp (ussually in the first 30 secs when you log on) your in UDP mode.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
a few basic questions
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2000, 07:45:00 PM »
Hi and welcome

1) For hot refuel/rearm you need to stop your plane on one of the small squares with the little shack by them at either end of a runway and hold it there for 30 seconds.

2) The radar has two "resolutions": the sector radar and the dot radar.
The sector radar will show approx. how many either enemies and/or friendlies each sector contains, by the length of the bar shown in each sector. Green bar indicates friendlies and red enemy. For every two planes in a sector the bar will increase in length. That means you will be unable to tell whether a sector contains 3 or 4 enemies for instance.
The dot radar will show the "exact" location (more like a 1 km resolution). Friendlies are  of course the greens and enemies are the red. For both of them they will dissapear from your map if they go below 500 ft off ground (note you altimeter is Air to Sea alt)
This means vehicles (friendlies ore enemies) will NOT show on radar ever. (unless someone drives one off a cliff in which case he might be visible for a few seconds   )
Enemy dots will furthermore not be visible if they are more than about 15miles of a friendly airbase (vehicles bases have no A2A radar), or if they have destroyed the radar at the field. Friendly dots will show all over the map.
Instead of just destroying the radar at the field you can knock down all a country's radar (even friendlies) if you destroy their HQ building.

3) Pretty much answered under 2). No they don't show as dots on radar, but you might get a hint that vehicles might be in a sector by looking at the Sector Radar as this counts in everything, also below 500ft (For instance sector radar shows many enemies in same sector as airfield, but no radar dots visible. This could also be due to broken radar dish at field, or a very low furball ect.)
Else you just have to keep a lookout for them. Note however that their Icon won't show up for you until you are 1.5K away from them, so you need to look for a little yellow dot (pzr or Flak) or a little green one (M3 or M16) Unlike planes, vehicles won't be shown as a dot at about 15K, but won't be spottable until about 7-8K.

4)Under 'setup' and 'net status' you will see two graphs. The lower one are HTC's stability I think. It is normal that it gives out a little peak ones in a while.
Your own connection can be viewed at top. For a good connection this should be a flat line, with maybe one pixel oscilliation around the center. This is not ping time, but difference in ping time which is more important (Better to have a steady 300 ms ping than one that ranges from 100 to 250ms all the time.
Also for quick reference of immidiate connection problems keep an eye out for the "beacon" lamp on your cockpit. This should be grey at best, but if your connection is unstable it will change to either green, yellow or red, where red of course is the worst.
you can also try use an external program to see if you are having trouble. I use pingplotter found at www.pingplotter.com  and you then use this to trace your connection to either www.hitechcreations.com  or alt.hitechcreations.com
the last one is the alternate route that you can try to use if you are having problem with the main arena. It is accessed through the "closed" room just below the main arena entrance. It really isn't closed.

Hope this answers your questions well.

Snefens
Aces High Training Corps

<edit> ahh I see someone already answered you while I wrote this. oh well.

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Snefens (edited 10-29-2000).]
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline 54Ed

• Zinc Member
a few basic questions
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2000, 04:24:00 AM »
Thank you all for your responses.  All of your answers were very clear and helpful.  See you all in the air.

Regards,
_54Ed

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
a few basic questions
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2000, 12:48:00 PM »
Welcome 54!
Guys, these were the best RAF pilots in FA real. Ed, are Biff and the rest of you guys coming over? There are a bunch of the Musketeers in AH.

good to see you

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline 54Ed

• Zinc Member
a few basic questions
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2000, 04:15:00 PM »
Good to see you again, Eagler, and on behalf of the 54th, thanks for the compliment.  It's been awfully enjoyable to see the musketeers, the Devil Dogs, and other old-time FA players again.  Brings a smile to my face.

I can't speak for the entire squad, but I suspect there will be strong interest in coming over if/when the price drop happens.  Biff wants to fly AH, but he has some sort of connection problem with NAT.  He was unable to get online at all during his 2 week freebie, so for now he has bagged it.  I've been flying some HtH with him, and I hope that he revisits the technical issues if the price drop comes.

I have to confess that all of us are waiting to see how WWIIOL turns out.  I'm in AH now because I received the special offer for $20 a month, but I also consider it good practice for WWIIOL.

eskimo

a few basic questions
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2000, 07:23:00 PM »
Your new AND your landing?
<S>

eskimo

Offline 54Ed

• Zinc Member
a few basic questions
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2000, 06:40:00 PM »
LOL, well I have lots of time in FA, and one sim is the same as the next when it comes to flying.    Plus I have a pilot's license with some time in taildraggers and acro planes.  

Where do you live in Colo Springs?  I lived there for 3 years, and still have a house N of Pete Field.  

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
a few basic questions
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2000, 09:35:00 PM »
Welcome Ed!

Hope to shoot you..err see you soon  

------------------
Wingnut
GeschwaderKommadore
P.T.R. "Black 13"

The quality of the box matters little.  Success depends upon the man who sits in it  -  Baron Manfred von Richthofen