Author Topic: Bomb runs in fighters?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
Bomb runs in fighters?
« on: February 15, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
Any tips on the best way to place the eggs on target?  There is no bomb sight on fighters right?

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
Bomb runs in fighters?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2001, 12:30:00 PM »
Divebombing is the only way to hit anything when flying in a fighter... (my opinion)

------------------
MB

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Bomb runs in fighters?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
There are 3 types of bombing in a fighter:

Dive bombing

Glide Bombing

Low Level bombing

Since Aces High doesn't truly represent the bomb radius blast of these bombs, the latter of the two are pointless and can be detrimental to ones health due to the AI Acks...so yes, Dive bombing is the most effective, most survivable type.

Use a 60-70 degree approach, anywhere from 8-12 thousand feet.  Cut the throttle and use a dive brake if you have one..then just nose her on over...release alittle ahead of your target, or better yet, get a good bombsite that has a rocket and bomb pipper on it.  Those are the basics...I'm sure someone else will go into more detail...

Contact me at ripsnort@aceshighcs.com for a custom bombsite I use.

------------------

VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~
Member of 'MAG-33' (Click here)
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for interviews with other Aces High Squadrons
Click here if you must whine about the F4U1-C
"My squaddies will follow me anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-15-2001).]

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
Bomb runs in fighters?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2001, 07:27:00 PM »
ever try dive tossing ?? lol u can throw that sucker a mile , no accuracy though .
( dive in , pull nose up and release )
if you could get it down killing ack would b a breeze

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
Bomb runs in fighters?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2001, 11:20:00 PM »
paintmaw

Tossing dumb bombs is an acceptable technique. Fighters have done it for years...I did it in A-10s in Germany. We had specific parameters to fly that ensured a particular bomb range. We used it for initial attacks on an advancing armored formation. Our objective was to get the gomers to 'button up'...ie, go from optical to radar guided AAA...also create a little confusion. Then we would attack with our Mavericks and gun.

We trained using inert Mk-82s on ranges in England. The idea was to run in at low altitude (100-200') at a given speed (300KIAS). We would then execute a moderate G pull up to a specific climb angle (about 15 degrees as I recall). We could get reasonable accuracy out to over a mile or so.

Andy

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
Bomb runs in fighters?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2001, 11:23:00 PM »

Lepton

Bomb runs in fighters?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
I actually did the code for one of the last versions of the A-7D's weapons delivery computer, and it had a toss bomb routine. You could tag a target via the HUD and then follow the attack profile that Andy described and the computer would figure the release point and provide a guideline to get the bomb on target. They did indeed get pretty good results with the technique, and I'm sure the A-10s were better. They certainly had better processors on board.

Anyway, that's a notable deviation from the topic. I'd agree that dive bombing is the easiest and most accurate delivery method in AH. A modified gunsight makes it even easier. That said, glide bombing also works, but it's really dangerous if there are any acks or flak panzers about. Again, the proper gunsight makes it much easier.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Bomb runs in fighters?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2001, 07:54:00 PM »
If you are using the default "+" targeting reticle take this in mind:

Rockets will hit things if you aim then using the mid-point between the bottom of the "+" in the gunsight and the midpoint in the gunsight. You must be at a 45 degree dive or less and at 5k (or less preferably) distance to have any accurate hits this way.

45 degree attacks with bombs, aim the opposite, use the midpoint on the top portion of the gunsight and the midpoint.

But if you really want to have accuracy just fly over the target at 10-12k alt, invert your plane, look up. The moment your target is on the middle of your screen, cut throttle, add dive break (if your plane has it), lower the Elevator to below the middle (so your plane doesnt pull up during dive and pork your aim) and then dive to the target.

Depending on your angle, just wait until your target is in the center of your gunsights and drop the eggs. Then pull the elevator all the way up and recover from dive.

Pray the ack doesnt hit you. Pray very hard. Saint Luck may hear your prayers if your roll a little bit while you recover from dive.

If you dont have altitude to do a 90 degree dive attack, do a 45 degree dive rocket attack on the target and fire rockets at close range, then pull straight up and loop, on the downwards portion of the loop, put target in the gunsights and let go off the eggs.

Of course, the single ping ack is always the squeak that screws you over.  

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 02-22-2001).]