Author Topic: dumping BBs for more perfs  (Read 937 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
dumping BBs for more perfs
« on: February 10, 2005, 02:04:45 PM »
When you take planes like 109E/F/G-2, Fw-190A-5, (or even P-38) do you dump the BB rounds (7.7) before taking off? Does 1800 rounds of 7.7s make a difference in climb rate in this game?

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 02:27:18 PM »
i would have to guess no only because you can set ammo multiplier up to 10000 rounds in a plane in H2H or offline.

that much change in weight would make the plane definatly fly different, but it does not.

if i had to guess there is a set weight for an ammo load for each plane. (i.e. the 150 nose cannon load adds 50lbs, and the 200 nose cannon load adds 60lbs to the nose of the plane, and that weight is a "constant" for the flight)

that is only my guess though.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 02:48:26 PM »
Well everything that I've heard about this has told me that it either makes a difference or a lot of people think it does.  If you take the smaller gun packages on the jug, it feels more nimble when you fly it.  I've known guys in the DA to dump a bunch of extra rounds in order to get better performance.  I've even heard of guys ( I think this one is limited to elguapo if that tells you anything :D )  that have used all their top turret ammo in the 110 for better performance.  I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this one  :confused:

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 03:05:29 PM »
Originally posted by Howitzer
I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this one  :confused:
but opinions are nothing without proof.

HiTech could you possibly weigh in on this please?

thanks.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 03:23:10 PM »
Yes it does...

In events we always dumped the mg in the 190s if the fight is going above 22.5k

on the A5 never take the MGFF the weight isn't worth the minor increase in lethality.

The P38 otoh has 50 cals.. Most effective round in AH next to the Hisso.

For the 109 E you need all the gun you can get so keep the 7mm. You will run out of MGFF fast and be left with nothing. If you get in real close the 7mm can get you a kill or 2. Make sure you aim for the wing root, cockpit or eng.

On the G6 and up the 13 mm is good for a kill or 2 as well.

In the 190s 2 x mg151 gives you 500 rounds, you don't need the added mg weight up high.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 03:35:18 PM »
Only problem is if you are a statpotato your hit % will go under 1% dumping them on takeoff every flight.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 04:04:33 PM »
When flying the mossie i always dump the 3000 rounds of .303.  I've not tested myself if it affects it's performance, but it's highly unlikely i'll ever need them anyway.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 09:15:47 PM »
I always like to keep the small calibre rounds.  Nothing is more satisfying than killing someone with 500 rounds of .303.  They are getting hit sounds for about 5 minutes after they are in the tower.

*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*plink*

:D

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 11:59:04 PM »
Il dump them mostly while shooting at the target.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 09:16:52 AM »
Originally posted by JB73

if i had to guess there is a set weight for an ammo load for each plane. (i.e. the 150 nose cannon load adds 50lbs, and the 200 nose cannon load adds 60lbs to the nose of the plane, and that weight is a "constant" for the flight)

that is only my guess though.

But would 50 or 60 lbs make a difference in the way a plane flies?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 09:39:23 AM »
that's just an example, i don't know the numbers... but yes. the 150 vs the 200 cannon load in the 109's does make the nose heavier, and is modeled. HTC mentioned it when they put out the second ammo load.

also, try the 190A5 with the 4 cannon vs the 2 cannon load, definate performance difference. not a ton, but up at high alts, the one with mroe guns can not climb with the one with less guns. i have definate proof of that from a special event where i accidently took the wrong ammo load. at 28,000 i could not keep up with the other planes in the squad, i ran out of WEP keeping up, then it was over, i could not get as high (about 33,000 the capped out at, and i never got above 31,000) and they were faster level then.

i still say "dumping" the little bb guns but firing them off does not change the weight or performance of the plane, if it did, then offline you'd never be able to fly with the 10,000 round ammo load. the nose of the plane would be so heavy the whole CG of the plane would be off.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 09:58:45 AM »
The weight of the rounds are modeled and change as you use them.

We tested many times in AH1 for events.

Climb from 20 to 30k in an A8 or A5 with the mgs and without. Definate difference in climb rate. Do the same with and without the MGFF in the A5.

500 rounds of MG151 is plenty in the 190s. You wont need those 13 or 7mm and you won't need the MGFF.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 10:11:07 AM »
wotan, i stil can not tell... are you talking about the initial loadout, or are you talkinf about shooting off 500 rounds on the runway THEN taking off?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 11:03:26 AM »
I am talking spraying all your mgs off (all of them) then messure your climb from 20k to 30k.

When your climb rated drops to 250 fpm and you dump weight your climb rate will improve at those altitudes.  

Also it will help in making high alt turns where you weight impacts you ability to make turns with out losing altitude.

Below 20k it doesn't matter that much thats why I said for 'events' above.

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 02:36:22 PM »
All those 50 cal rounds in the 38 make practically no discernable difference on maneuverability. You dump all your ammo and you fly the same as with it, only now you can't shoot things down. As for those other planes the extra wing load make hinder you a little bit, but it's too easy to burn through your ammo in a fight and having some 303s is better then nothing.

-pellik