Author Topic: Where I can get the terrain tiles?  (Read 659 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Where I can get the terrain tiles?
« on: February 10, 2005, 02:58:18 PM »
I want to catch the base terrain tiles that I can edit them suitable to my becoming "waterland" (read Finland) map.

I don't mean only terrain textures (I have them) but the tiles with those little hills and "pyramids" and which I can open in the Object Editor.

Here's a demo example with the default Farm tile with the waterways, I am just waiting Squirrel's final terrain textures:

Those kind of little lakes and rivers are coming almost to every base tile's third and fourth subtile. I must move the hills for ex. from Grassy Rock and give space to water.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 08:40:01 AM by kanttori »
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Where I can get the base tiles?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 05:29:33 AM »
Those are all objects. You need to export them to AC3D with the object editor.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Re: Where I can get the base tiles?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 05:32:23 AM »
Originally posted by kanttori
Those kind of little lakes and rivers are coming almost to every base tile's third and fourth subtile. I must move the hills for ex. from Grassy Rock and give space to water.
Whoa...Wait...If I'm right about what you're asking, you can't subdivide the base tiles. They need to be whole tiles. A base takes up all 4 sub-tiles.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 04:29:11 PM »
Ok, then I must edit the whole base tile with the 4 subtiles, for ex. the Grass tile (terr0001, terr0101, terr0201 and terr0301). But from where I can get those tiles that I can edit them with the OE?  :confused:

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 05:30:20 AM »
Slow down batman. :)

Terrain texture tiles and a field tiles are two entirely different things. Terrain texture tiles are 1/4 mile square each. A field tile is the full 1 mile (might be wrong on the dimensions but the ratio is the same). I do believe the airfields carry their own underlying terrain. Thus the reason if you place an airfield on rock it has a green tone to the ground.

If you want to edit the underlying terrain, in the TE select the airfield type and click "Save Texture". This will give you all of the editable textures for the field. BUT, if you do this ALL of the fields of that type will have the changes in the exact same place.

If you really need the water running through a field, you might consider making completely new field tiles with AC3D and the OE. Personally I'd sacrifice a little water or move the field to a full land tile. Mainly because you'll rapidly use up resources if you have every field as a different object. I don't think anyone knows the limits of the new TE yet. Well, maybe HT does. ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 05:47:14 AM by NHawk »

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 06:00:08 AM »
Are you guys talking about same things when you talk about base tiles and field tiles?

I somehow got the impression that Kanttori is NOT talking about air bases.... but about basic textures (or did I completely misunderstand what is being discussed here?).
Correct me if I am wrong :)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 06:51:53 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Are you guys talking about same things when you talk about base tiles and field tiles?

I somehow got the impression that Kanttori is NOT talking about air bases.... but about basic textures (or did I completely misunderstand what is being discussed here?).
Correct me if I am wrong :)
To be honest, I think he's talking about both. He has two similar threads going. That's why I keep giving both options in my replies.

He mentions water crossing an airfield in one or more of the quadrants which would mean he needs to edit the airfield to show the water. But then he askes about terrain textures, which is a totally different animal. And, water shown on those would remain "land" and not be water.

It's a confusing topic to say the least. :)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 07:03:08 AM »
:D My terms might be a little confused, but I mean this:

As you see there's a (demo) waterways everywhere in the map made by terrain textures. Now I need to do the landscape flat under those waterways, but the HTC's default base tiles has hills and trees on the "wrong places", for ex. in the middle of the little lakes.

Hitech answered that I must create totally new 1 mile x 1 mile terrain tiles where I can place trees, bushes and hills to the right places around those waterways.

I tried to find HTC's default base terrain tiles that I can look them closer and maybe edit the new ones from them. But it is not possible, I suppose.

Does anybody know how I built them? Do we need to make with Ac3D at first half mile x half mile sub tiles' flat bases and then texture them? After it bring them to Object Editor and add all those landscape stuff over them? :confused:

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 07:22:28 AM »
Ok, first off those are obvously not the default terrain tiles. :)

The large airfield underlying terrain tile is this...

afgrass5.bmp

It takes up the FULL 1 mile terrain square. NOT the 1/2 mile quadrant.

So, in order to make an airfield that has the water as you show it. You would need to make a single bitmap out of the 4 quadrant tiles AND create a new airfield object with AC3D (I think) and import it into the TE.

You would need to do this for each different terrain layout, or accept the fact that the terrain on all airfields will look the same.

Again, I'd sacrifice the water and just put a regular airfield in there. The trees bushes and hills are ground clutter and again you'd need to create new ones with AC3D. Even then, since ground clutter is pretty much random you would still wind up with those things in the middle of your water.

Remember, just because you have water displayed in a texture, it doesn't make it water. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 07:32:02 AM by NHawk »

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 07:30:21 AM »
Honestly, I dont think that Kanttori wants to put water on an air field. At least I would not know any reason why he would want to do that.

Field is also a place where one grows grain :)

.. but then again, English is not my mother tongue.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 07:33:27 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Honestly, I dont think that Kanttori wants to put water on an air field. At least I would not know any reason why he would want to do that.

Field is also a place where one grows grain :)

.. but then again, English is not my mother tongue.
Yeah, I could be misunderstanding what he's talking about from that aspect.

When someone says "Base" in here, I automatically assume airfield.

The problem remains the same... So far as I know, you can't assign ground clutter to sub-tiles. Once a main tile area is designated as "Grassy Rock" the entire 1 mile grid is assigned that ground clutter. Which is causing them to appear in the middle of his artificial water areas (which by the way can still be driven over by GVs).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 07:52:03 AM by NHawk »

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »
I have noticed that the clutters are random, for ex. the forest tile's trees are changin their places a little. But is it possible to built totally new clutters over terrains with AC3D? Or must I live with the default ones? :confused:

For ex. I want to surround lakes with threes like there are nice looking  tree surrounded fields and pastures on the default Farm tile. Those clutters are not "random moving" very much...

And yes, I know it is not "water" even if I had texturized them and GV's can drive over them. They are both eye candies and they make the landscape more Finnish looking.

Apart from that those "rivers" are mostly very narrow and low in Finland, so you can drive with the GV's over them.

Maybe we can surround the lakes with the invisible barriers later...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 08:19:48 AM by kanttori »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 08:24:47 AM »
You would probably need to change the default clutter to flat, totally transparent objects. Then create new objects and place them where you want them to be.

The default object types in the object editor are all hills and trees. They can be exported and edited in AC3D.

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 08:33:01 AM »
Thank you NHawk for your patience and instructions. Can you please tell me step by step how I should make this process... :rolleyes:

I have noticed that the tiles are called "ter0X0X" (only one "r") and they are "object groups" as airfields etc. But I can save only their textures from the Terrain Editor, not the tiles self...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 08:50:11 AM by kanttori »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 08:49:23 AM »
This is where I can't help very much. The extent of my knowledge of AC3D is how to draw a box and that's about it. :o

Perhaps someone else can take it from here.