Author Topic: Ostwind Hit 5 Times by 75mm High Explosive Shells: No Damage  (Read 1477 times)

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
The other night, in an LVTA4, I hit an Ostwind 5 times with 75mm high explosive shells from a range of about 2000 yards.  The shells did not ricochet; each gave the white flash of a hit.  Yet the Ostwind seemed to have taken no damage.

Is this how the damage model is supposed to be?  I have my doubts.

/S/ MRPLUTO, Captain, VMF-323 "Death Rattlers"

Offline Booky

• Copper Member
Ostwind Hit 5 Times by 75mm High Explosive Shells: No Damage
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2001, 04:26:00 AM »
I been getting wierd stuff like that too. Sometimes I kill them with like 20 50 cal rounds and then just the other day I was in a M16 and put 3000 rounds into a osti from 200yds and it just started smoking. It didn't die, he ended up ditching and I didnt even get the kill. Guess this thing with your base is closest then you ditch you are safe. Oh well. After yesterdays chitstorm I gave out, cussing and all, I think I need to evaluate why I play this game. Maybe then the little things like these inconsistancies won't bother me as much.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2001, 07:05:00 AM »
heheh it never occured to me that an M16 could kill an ostwind in this game. I never saw an M16 last long enough to find out.   :)

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »
The M8 Scott carried a few HEAT rounds, and so did some of the LVT's used for crossing the Rhine.

Hmmmmmm.

:)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2001, 05:13:00 PM »
Except for maybe the turret, the 75mm shells fired from the LVT4 is not going to be able to knock out a panzer or ostwind.

I've had some luck shooting the ground by a tank and taking out their tracks.

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2001, 09:36:00 PM »
Well, the Ostwind is built on a Panzer IV hull.  It has enough armor to stop High Explosive shells.  Hell, even some armor piercing rounds cannot get thru all the time.

I do not know how detailed the new damamge model for the tanks are, but I see nothing wrong with a Panzer IV/Ostwind surviving a HE round hit unscathed.  A real one would survive.

The only snag might be damage to the Ostwind's turret, which may not have been heavy enough to resist a 75mm explosive round or not.

Still, this "bug report" about 75mm HE vs Panzer IV armor is not correct.  Your not supposed to be able to kill a tank with HE rounds.

Hans.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2001, 06:14:00 AM »
The shells did not ricochet

I don't really think that high explosive shells are capable of ricochetting...

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
Thanks for your comments.  After reading them and thinking more, this might be what happened:

Since I did not move the gun once I got a hit, all 5 rounds hit the same place.  That place seemed to be the side armor below the turret, but above the track.  So maybe this location, even though hit repeatedly, is just programmed to be invulnerable to 75mm shell fire.  However, one would think that HE shells exploding next to the turret would have, at the very least, knocked it askew putting it out of action.  I think LtHans's point about the weakness of the Ostwind's turret is important.  I didn't expect to destroy the Ostwind, but I did think I could damage it.  But maybe I just put all 5 shells into the wrong part.  Bloom25's comment would seem to support this idea.

/S/ MRPLUTO, Captain, VMF-323, "Death Rattlers"