Author Topic: High Angle shooting  (Read 1432 times)

Offline 54Ed

• Zinc Member
High Angle shooting
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2000, 06:10:00 PM »
Andy, that is an extremely useful and enlightening link, thanks.  The pictures and diagrams are excellent, especially the ones that compare the shot pattern of 300 yard convergence at various ranges.  

My gunnery appears to be improving with practice in AH, which is not surprising.  I find I do better with the P-51 than the Spit, again not surprising considering the greater bullet density of the shot pattern.  I've nearly given up on high-angle shots, though.  Instead, I try to set up a low-angle shot by varying my pursuit curve, using the Lead-Lag-Pure sequence.  AH keeps you a bit more honest than the other sims I've tried.

funked

High Angle shooting
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2000, 10:00:00 AM »
Fair enough Eye.    
I don't have any particular problem with you, I just thought you were being a little hard on Andy.
I wouldn't spend too much time looking at my statistics.  I do a lot of fighter bomber work so they are a bit misleading.  A lot of ack deaths and a lot of cheap kills.  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 11-18-2000).]

funked

High Angle shooting
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2000, 10:11:00 AM »
PS:

Andy, it appears that the current dispersion is truly random, i.e. each bullet has an equal chance of being anywhere in the cone.  Pyro says the next version will have a center-weighted dispersion pattern.  I think the cone angles will still be the same, but the probability of a bullet being closer to the center will be higher.  So convergence will likely be a more important setting.

Eye, It just occured to me that the importance of convergence would be different depending on the plane and guns we are using.  I'm pretty sure each gun caliber and make has a different dispersion pattern.  I fly a Spitfire usually and I fire cannons separate from MG's.  On the cannons (which are in the wing roots and are synchronized) the dispersion is so large that I find the convergence setting doesn't affect things much.  But on the MG's It seems more important, especially using the 303's which are way out near the wingtips.  So I have started to set the MG convergence in pretty close - 200-300 yards.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 11-18-2000).]