Author Topic: Is my throttle working properly?  (Read 532 times)

RearGunner

Is my throttle working properly?
« on: May 21, 2001, 07:21:00 AM »
Ok, it might be my impression but I think my throttle isn't working properly on my Logitech Wingman. I've been using Spitfires mostly and the boost guage at full throttle is 26 (without WEP), which roughly translates to 2/3 max. Is that normal? Isn't the boost guage supposed to reach near max at max throttle? Or is it just like a car speedo where you never reach the actual max? Something else connected to this, what does RPM affect? I've heard they are like gears in a car. So I assume when you want good climb performance you set low rpm and for cruising high speed high rpm?

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »

Well, you are right about the boost gauge, it doesn't go near max normally.  There is an easy way to tell if you are getting maximum throttle.  If you engage War Emergency Power (WEP) and it works, you have full throttle.  WEP will only engage (on planes that have it, most fighters do) if the throttle is full open.  If you can hit the P key at full throttle and see your boost and hear your engine increase with WEP, you are getting full throttle.  

RPM is the speed of the propeller.  Aces High has somewhat of a simplified engine and propeller management system, so the RPM gets automatically adjusted with the throttle setting.  You can adjust engine RPM separately by using your keypad + and - keys.  Normally you don't need to muck with setting RPM manually at all.  If you are trying to milk the maximum fuel economy from your engine, you may want to decrease RPM's as well as throttle.  Honestly though, that seems to make little difference, and I get just as good a result by simply decreasing throttle to save gas.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

RearGunner

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
Thanks Leph, it was my impression then, I knew my Wingman wouldn't let me down.   On the discussion of RPM, i've never understood this. On cars RPM (revolutions per minute) is controlled by the throttle and engine. But I've read that on planes, RPM is controlled by changing the angle of the prop blades??!! How come? I know you don't really need to use it on AH, but when would you normally use it on real planes?

RearGunner

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
Forget it Leph, I just reread your post and I've worked it out. So RPM is referring to the speed of the prop not the engine. AH!!! Now I get it. That's why changing the angle of the prop blades will speed up the prop due to less resistance. LOL. You don't know how long I was wondering about that.   Thanks again.