Author Topic: "Barebones" system?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
Umm.. AMD has been way past Intel for quite a long time.

Intel has been successful in fooling the consumers to believe more Mhz is better. In reality all the new Intel revisions have been slower in architecture than thier predecessors. Heck, sometimes even in direct comparison.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 12:10:31 PM »
The Intel Prescott's are certainly terrible and slower than the previous Northwood's at the same clock rate.

However, it was not until AMD came out with the 64bit CPU's did they surpass the high end Northwood.  The AMD 3200 is slower than a 3Ghz Northwood P4.  Not by a huge margin, but Intel did win there.
Price/performance ratio has always been in favor of AMD, regardless of the speed of the CPU.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 07:34:13 PM »
LOL try and get one of those 64bit cpu's for the price of an Intell 2.4 northwood.

Good luck.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 06:50:34 AM »
That is not even a good comparison wombatt.  The 64bit AMD CPU will eat that Northwood alive thus its price/performance ratio would be better than that Northwood.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 03:57:26 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
That is not even a good comparison wombatt.  The 64bit AMD CPU will eat that Northwood alive thus its price/performance ratio would be better than that Northwood.

Wow I did not know you could get a AMD 64bit CPU for $130.00

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 04:04:51 PM »
Read it again.  Price/Performance ratio.  The 64bit CPU will cost more, but it also runs circles around a 2.4Ghz Northwood.

Again, it is a poor comparison.  They are not in the same class.  It's like comparing a Celeron (which is a lot cheaper than the Northwood) to a regular P4.  Or to put it in your words....

Can you buy a Northwood 2.4Ghz chip for $71?  That is about what a 2.4Ghz Celeron goes for.

That's the comparison you are making between a 2.4Ghz Northwood and an AMD 64bit CPU.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 04:39:19 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Read it again.  Price/Performance ratio.  The 64bit CPU will cost more, but it also runs circles around a 2.4Ghz Northwood.

Again, it is a poor comparison.  They are not in the same class.  It's like comparing a Celeron (which is a lot cheaper than the Northwood) to a regular P4.  Or to put it in your words....

Can you buy a Northwood 2.4Ghz chip for $71?  That is about what a 2.4Ghz Celeron goes for.

That's the comparison you are making between a 2.4Ghz Northwood and an AMD 64bit CPU.

RGR I understand now thx.

Let me ask you If I was going to build a new puter would you go with a AMD or Intell?

I have always had better luck with Intell but it looks like Amd is got there stuff together on the 64bit.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 04:56:35 PM »
As long as I can get Northwood P4's in the 3+Ghz range, I will use Intel.

It will be, at least, 3 years before I need to build another computer.  So I have the luxury of waiting to see what developes.  I figure Intel is lost and they will not recover in that time frame.
In that time frame, other chipsets for AMD CPU's will become available and I will watch those closely, with my fingers crossed that some chipset maker gets its act together.
This is where Intel still reigns sumpreme.  Damn I wish they would make a chipset for AMD CPU's.  That would be a no-brainer then.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 05:10:27 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 05:17:17 PM »
where is a good place to get a great deal on Northwood processors?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
"Barebones" system?
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 05:23:06 PM »
They are getting more difficult to find.  Newegg and MWave seem to still have some though.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese