Author Topic: Open channel whining...  (Read 2672 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2000, 10:25:00 AM »
Ya know, I don't think I've hardly ever heard someone squeak about warps on someone they just shot down.  Its always the guy floating down in his parachute squeaking.

Of course its also always the dead guy squeaking about the "uber" plane that got him...about the alt monkey...about the vulcher...about the gang-bang...see a pattern?

I think dead guys should lose open channel privs for 2 minutes after a shoot down.  This code feature could save us all a lot of annoyance.  The only thing should should be broadcasting after a shootdown is "salute" or nothing at all.  Spare us all the excuses.

$0.02,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2000, 10:51:00 AM »
and .02 = .04
Hear it all the time ususally it is in the form of "By the way you were warping a bit.."
Follwed by OK ill check or nope none of my wingman see me warping...must be you..
I think that a command to tune out open channel is what you are looking for. If little complaints about warp and chute shooting bug you that much. By the time a guy has blabbed for 3 lines I have squelched him so its not a big deal for me.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2000, 11:04:00 AM »
I use the squelch command alot! ALOT!  I dont thing the open channel (1) is an AOL chat room, but some guys seem to think so.

Some guys have such huge egos, they have to make excuses or throw out insults when they get killed. I dont care to hear it.  Nor do I care to hear anyones gloating when they win a fight.  I guess if they won a fight very often, they would be used to it and not need to gloat.

If I could squelch ch 1, I would be a happy camper.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2000, 11:57:00 AM »
Unfortunately Channel one has turned into somewhat of a joke. The Swearing has gotten so far outa hand it just not funny. Ive got screen shots of an open text buffer full from top to bottom with F***** this F**** you M******* F*******, Its the most rediculous thing ive seen in all my time flying online. And ive been flyin online since 1989.

Now i aint no prude,we all get frustrated and the odd time you will see S*** in the buffer. Thats not a problem. But what has been going on is Way outa hand.

Ive got kids that fly my accounts,had to stop them from flying my AH,now there restricted to WBs..

Very sad state here right now ..

Unfortunately theres an Idiot born every day.

------------------
Wardog = 357th Pony Express =
== Death From Behind ==

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2000, 12:08:00 PM »
Bah, Fatty don't have no class.  If he did, I'd have to kick him out of FDB!  

As Popeye mentioned, I'd love to see a squelch channel command.  Beyond whining, sometimes the banal conversation on radio 1 gets thick and keeps you from seeing important info.

Gordo

[This message has been edited by Lance (edited 02-08-2000).]

TT

Open channel whining...
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2000, 01:32:00 PM »
 I for one enjoy the squeaking and whineing. It is a vary human responce to the frustrations of the game. The first time I flew an online sim, I saw a player acuse another of cheating. I knew at that point that I really was playing against other people. And not some elaberate AI.

A squelch command has been thoughtfully added, for you macho, John Wayne types. So why whine about it here.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2000, 01:49:00 PM »
In Bill Gates' book (Business @ The Speed of Thought), he lays out 11 rules that students do not learn in high school or college, but should. He argues that our feel-good, politically-correct teachings have created a generation of kids with no concept of reality who are set up for failure in the real world. I thought that you might be interested in his list:

RULE 1 - Life is not fair; get used to it.

RULE 2 - The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

RULE 3 - You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice president with a car phone, until you earn
both.

RULE 4 - If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.He doesn't have tenure.

RULE 5 - Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping; they called it opportunity.

RULE 6 - If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

RULE 7 - Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try "delousing" the closet in your own room.

RULE 8 - Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades; they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

RULE 9 - Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and every few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that
on your own time.

RULE 10 - Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

RULE 11 - Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Defected~)
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Open channel whining...
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2000, 02:17:00 PM »

...But there is a way to defensivly warp in this game...I thought everyone knew that....I dont know how to do it but it is some form or style of stick stirring no doubt..

This says it all! Maybe you should inform HiTech and Pyro of this well known secret  .

Thats what I get for arguing with a newbie.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2000, 03:02:00 PM »
I understand your confsion.
You are actually whining not arguing, and I am discussing not arguing, This can lead to confusion for people who are over aggressive..

Pyro and Hitech and most of you non newbies must allready know about defensive warping. The stick stirring code was implemented to curtail it. It has.
But feel free to forward this new (to you )revelation if you like.

Sorry I wasted your time with my opinion about the posted topic.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2000, 03:37:00 PM »
Pongo, There is a big difference between "stick stirring" and purposeful warping".

I didn't mean to sound like a fuddy duddy.

But to listen to some peoples view of things you would think half the players had some kind of Application "cheat" software running in the background, modifying packets, causing their planes to move any direction at any time and speed that the "cheater" tells it.

I'm sorry, this simply aint the case.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2000, 04:11:00 PM »
I knew we agreed, it just took some time to get there..
I squelch after the word "uber"
I squelch after the second or third "we will lose so  and so field if you dont do as I say"
The guy that was on his fm hack rant a few weeks ago was on squelch for days with me..
But...
I dont see the difference between stick stirring and purposeful warping..One is done to induce the other. Like I said not prevelent. The knights I usually fight dont do it anyway. I will mention it if I see it. flame me then....

We are deffinatly a bunch of primadonas..I think its historical. Lots of WW2 aces are flaming each other right into the grave and beyond..

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2000, 06:37:00 PM »
How can stick stirring cause a warp?

I've never heard of this, and really don't think it is possible to be honest with you.

Lost/damaged Packets cause warping. In other words the information coming to and from your PC and the server gets interrupted or lost. Then your plane appears to jump from here (the last known place the server knew you were) to there (your present location).

Stick stirring in all my experience is just that, stick stirring. This is due to a general lack, on behalf of the pilot of what the hell to do to lose the bandit on his ass. Generally stick stirring just causes a plane to move erratically. Which to me is just fine, because it bleeds energy like crazy.

I'm not talking about you Pongo, but their are too many self appointed web/server/flight simm experts in the arena, who haven't got clue#1 what the hell they are talking about.

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, and am open to correction by anyone who really does know what they are talking about.

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2000, 06:55:00 PM »
Why can't we all just get along?
'cuz we wouldn't be playing a game that simulates killing people if we did  
I ignore warp comments for the most part unless they come from someone whose opinion I value. The rest of them, dead people can't talk, so shut it.
As far as "stick stirring" I'm no code expert, mind you, but it seems to me that small rapid stick movements to get the FE to lose updates so you "jump" all over the sky, wouldn't work, in actuality, the FE would move past the lost updates and lock you in the last speed/attitude you were in before it happened, in other words, easy meat. correct me if I'm wrong, peacefully, If you think the channels are bad this BB has reached the point where I send my daughter out of the room before I come here.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

funked

Open channel whining...
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2000, 01:43:00 AM »
Hey no whining about he whining please!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2000, 12:33:00 AM »
I run a firewall at home with packet mapping set to detect hit packets from the AH server.

Sometimes when I get really pissed off I set it to intercept these and replace them with hit packets back to the source IP address of shooter.

If anyone wants mappings let me know.

-vlkn- in

(wonders if the breaking strain on his line is enough).