Author Topic: MA "merge" - without being shot in the face  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
MA "merge" - without being shot in the face
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2005, 09:22:08 AM »
Originally posted by Schutt
I can usually dodge the noobie ho as you described, but i have problems with the HO experts.
For example FTDEEP shoots me down no matter how i try to avoid it. This is flying P38G, problem is it is a big target.

Sometimes you have to get awful creative in yer wigglin' to sneak past a good ho'er...  Try to be unpredictable if you've been fighting him for a few consecutive fights.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2005, 01:34:14 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
And what if, as the defender, you have just finished with another fight and are wallowing around with no speed and very little alt to work with?  Often you are forced to at least turn in the attacker's direction and try to avoid the HO attempt as best possible.  Giving him time to line up on a bigger profile if I try to turn out of the way is not an option.

You're not going to avoid all head on shots. In the situation you describe, you are at such a disadvantage to anyone up there  it probably doesn't matter which direction the kill shot comes from.

I have problems with a bogie I'm chasing reversing on me and shooting me in the face before I realize what he did. AH doesn't always accurately depict the other plane's movements and at a distance too great to see detail motion but short enough to quickly get within HO range I'm a sucker. Of course I'm also old and getting slower each day.

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2005, 01:48:38 PM »
Originally posted by TWA500
Im new to AH and not a very good pilot yet but I am trying to learn the tactics. I know about lead turning but thats about all I know.

I have learned that flying a cannon with wings and doing nothing but booming has its flaws. If I miss my shot I will probably lose the fight. The guy in the turn fighter is now on my six chewing on my tail feathers.

I try to avoid the headon if possible, I prefer a good fight because it is more challenging and I can learn from it even if I lose.

On a boom you should be able to pass by a victim and extend out of his range before he can get a shot on you. What you must do is extend straight for a bit before you begin to pull up. You also should not turn during your attack. Figure it this way:

The enemy has to do a lead turn to get a quick shot at you before you're out of range. If you happen to deviate your line of flight (turning or pulling up) there is a chance that every degree of deflection by you can be deducted from his turn giving him an additional fraction of a second for a shot.

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2005, 11:20:13 PM »
TY for the film wetrat !

It helped!