Author Topic: MS sidewinder rebuild?  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« on: March 02, 2005, 09:49:57 AM »
I've heard talk of a kit you can get to refurbish this stick?
If anyone has info on where I can get this and the cost, etc. Id appreciate it.  I cannot seem to get used to the X-45 for combat.
Always did well in other games with the sidewinder, but it's worn out.

Offline JB66

• Copper Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/ssbranni
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 09:57:54 AM »
Here is a link to a site that has instructions for the ms 3d pro.

http://www.cc.utah.edu/~dlg7/sidewinder/repair.html

You can find the 3d pro sticks on ebay for not too much...the ff2's are hard to find, and usually you have to pay a premium for them.

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 10:03:02 AM »
Thank you JB!

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 04:22:32 PM »
if you open the stick and see how the  axis's move , it is round eye in a cradle that is secured in plcae  by a bottom plate.  if you get a roll of teflon tape you can wind it around round part and it tightens up all the slop out of it . have done that to mine and it is as tight as it ever has been , seem the cradles wear alittle and it makes for a sloppy stick  GL   38

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 09:26:55 AM »
Not a bad idea about the tape, but by the time I read your post, I already followed the instructions in the link that JB gave me and got
my old stick running like new!  For being an inexpensive stick at the time, I sure do a whole lot better in the MA with it than I did with the X-45.  That old sidewinder seems to have all the buttons/hat in all the right places and the twist (rudder) action is very smooth.  Took it into
MA last night and kicked butt for a change.  X-45 IMO is better suited for games like MS Flight Sim where your not pressed for time groping for buttons.

JB66!

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 01:42:43 PM »
Originally posted by JB66
Here is a link to a site that has instructions for the ms 3d pro.

http://www.cc.utah.edu/~dlg7/sidewinder/repair.html

You can find the 3d pro sticks on ebay for not too much...the ff2's are hard to find, and usually you have to pay a premium for them.

Recently the number one button went out on my MS FF2  and I did a little research online.  

I found a lot of places willing to sell, like new, joysticks from prices as low as $89.00 to as high as $256.00.  The question then became how much was I willing to pay, well I started at the $89.00 end and worked my way up.  

What I found was that many claimed to have it, but really didn't.  They responded to my order request with a , "Sorry, that item is no longer in stock, but we do have model x at $39.99." (bate and Switch)

I finally did find the real deal by searching using Google.  That led me to a link to Amazon.com where I was able to order a factory new, still in the original shipping creat joystick.      

I originally purchesed a MicroSoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick in 1998 for around $50.  The replacement set me back $180.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 06:11:38 PM »
i bought an x52  , cant get used to the stick , has a major deadzone . So i use the MSPP2 with the saitek throttle. it works like a charm hehe 38

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:00:40 PM »
So to get back to the question at hand.....can it be done.....can u successfully refurbish an MS FFB2? I've bought 2 from ebay now, rangin in price from $70.00 - $160.00. Eventually there won't be any on ebay to buy, so if anyone knows anything about refurbishing joysticks ...plz indulge.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 11:44:38 PM »
ah the good ol ms sidewinder 3d pro, i still use it for red baron 3d but its spikey as heck, i finaly settled for the thustmaster flcs  tqs and rcs system, only 56 bucks!

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 02:18:34 AM »
Originally posted by Traveler
Recently the number one button went out on my MS FF2  and I did a little research online.  

I found a lot of places willing to sell, like new, joysticks from prices as low as $89.00 to as high as $256.00.  The question then became how much was I willing to pay, well I started at the $89.00 end and worked my way up.  

What I found was that many claimed to have it, but really didn't.  They responded to my order request with a , "Sorry, that item is no longer in stock, but we do have model x at $39.99." (bate and Switch)

I finally did find the real deal by searching using Google.  That led me to a link to Amazon.com where I was able to order a factory new, still in the original shipping creat joystick.      

I originally purchesed a MicroSoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick in 1998 for around $50.  The replacement set me back $180.

For the same amount of money you could had a shinny brand new CH fighter stick (minus the rudder) IMO the best investment I've made in computer hardware.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 08:25:14 AM »
Originally posted by Dace
So to get back to the question at hand.....can it be done.....can u successfully refurbish an MS FFB2? I've bought 2 from ebay now, rangin in price from $70.00 - $160.00. Eventually there won't be any on ebay to buy, so if anyone knows anything about refurbishing joysticks ...plz indulge.

i saved this off the BBS a while back... i'm guessing it would apply to the FFB2 as well.

------------------------
Microsoft Sidewinder FF Pro Info
Hey guys, my Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro gets a real workout when I play AH - especially the hat switches.

Anyway, the switch that selects right view started dying so I toook it apart to see about replacing them.

Here is the information:

The switches used are Omron 150g actuation tactile jobs. They are available from Digi-Key.

The ones for the hat are Digi-Key part number SW408-ND (Omron # B3F3122) and are $0.36 each (4 required).

The switches for the stick buttons other than the trigger are Digi-Key part number SW401-ND (Omron # B3F1002) and are $0.26 each (3 required).

The trigger switch is Digi-Key part number SW426-ND (Omron B3M6009) and are $0.71 each (1 required).

Swapping out the switches is easy and even though I only had one dying, I replaced all of them. The others would also be long in the tooth so I figured get them all while I had it apart.

I guess it has been about two years since new and with optical encoding, I'm expecting it to last a few more years so I bought extras to swap em out next time one decides to go belly-up.

To disassemble the handle to get to the board that the switches mount on, there are the obvious screws on the right side of the handle. The trigger must be removed before splitting the shell - spread it at the top to disengage the pivots. There is a catch at the bottom that will let go once you release the top. Then there are catches that hold the halves of the handle together I guess to make assembly easier. They let go real easy and if one breaks (one of mine did) it's no biggie as there are others and the screws actually hold the halves together.

Once you split it open, you have access to the circuit board. Just desolder carefully and then reinstall the new switches. Be sure to seat them properly down on the board (they have feet to assure the proper setup) then solder them back in.

You need to have a little soldering skill for this but it's no hill for a climber. I saved myself a new stick (about $100) for about $3 worth of switches and a few minutes of my time.

Anyone with dead switches that doesn't feel up to the job, I'll replace them for $25 and you pay all shipping costs. E-mail if interested.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 08:59:17 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
For the same amount of money you could had a shinny brand new CH fighter stick (minus the rudder) IMO the best investment I've made in computer hardware.

For the same reasons that you prefer the CH, I prefer the MS FFB2.  My experience has been that it works well and holds up very well.  Any number of kids, including my own, have beat the hell of the sidewinder and it just keeps going.  The problem I have with one switch not working properly set me looking for a way to have the joystick rebuilt or repaired,  not scrapped.

I have used a few different models of joystick over the last ten years and I prefer the heavier models.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 11:32:13 AM »
Originally posted by eilif
ah the good ol ms sidewinder 3d pro, i still use it for red baron 3d but its spikey as heck, i finaly settled for the thustmaster flcs  tqs and rcs system, only 56 bucks!

Ya, thats what goes bad (big dead zone and spikes) on the 3d Pro's.  Thats the prob I had and repaired it in ten minutes using the link JB provided.  In fact, I think its working better than new.  Has absolutely no dead zone, doesnt have a freegin retaining spring the likes of a car suspension spring that the Saitek's have, absolutley no more spiking, NO nose bounce in flight.  The hand movement is fluid with the angled stick handle and makes for easy twisty stick action( more normal, comfortable wrist movement.) Not like the verticle stick x-45 or evo i wasted my money on.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 11:40:56 AM by Ohio43 »

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 11:38:42 AM »
Originally posted by Traveler

Hmm..I have a FFB Pro I can't use since I got my new computer. No joystick port. Might be worth trying to pedal on Ebay.  I bought a saitek x-45 which I'm not real impressed with. If I had bigger hands or longer fingers it might be all right but for me the buttons don't fall easily to fingers.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
MS sidewinder rebuild?
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 11:43:32 AM »
Originally posted by Lye-El
Hmm..I have a FFB Pro I can't use since I got my new computer. No joystick port. Might be worth trying to pedal on Ebay.  I bought a saitek x-45 which I'm not real impressed with. If I had bigger hands or longer fingers it might be all right but for me the buttons don't fall easily to fingers.

Sure you can use the FFB Pro.  Just buy a analog to USB adapter cheap..or maybe even install an old sound card as a second audio adapter with the old analog input.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 11:55:25 AM by Ohio43 »