Author Topic: Immortality: Discuss  (Read 1128 times)

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Immortality: Discuss
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 05:05:37 PM »
p.s. - omaha is my home town.  of course he is right.

;)
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 05:15:20 PM »
Who wants to live forever?

( sung in a "Queen" style )

:D

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 05:16:20 PM »
There can be only one. ;)
sand

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 05:17:58 PM »
Eternal life?
Guess Vladimir Putin would be the president of Russia forever
Not sure about J W Bush - looks like he can get some problems here ;)

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 05:20:45 PM »
Isn't it GW Bush?

Not sure about him either but this is a thread about immortality and thank the lord he and other politicians  are mortal.

:aok

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 05:23:06 PM »
I...  have doubts that we will become immortal anytime soon.  I think it's very possible, even likely, that a mechanism will be created within our lifetime (or that of our children) that removes 'old age' as a method of dying, but I think that a few posters really nailed the chief cause of death that would replace it: boredom.

Specifically, the older you get, the more new things you would need to do to stay interested in life.  If society doesn't change fast enough to keep you 'stocked up' on new things to try/new skills to learn, then eventually humanity would reach a point where people either suicide or effectively suicide by trying things that are absolutely foolhardy, because it's the only way to get any sort of rush/feel something.

Basically, maybe the lifespan would end up doubled or more, but a mixture of accidents and suicides would make it so that all but the most commited would be alive to see their 300th.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 05:30:05 PM »
Human evolution would stagnate.  No purpose would be served...except to make us narcissistic

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 05:38:25 PM »
Perhaps this is also the answer to the immortal question "Where are they?!" that anyone who sees the Drake Equation asks.  Everyone who survives the nuclear/biological/nano weapon stages ends up immortal and collapses within themselves, trying to stay interested in life through the creation of countless new mindless games.  Eg, video games as the downfall of civilization because that's the only medium for creating things that are 'new'.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 06:01:38 PM »
Now the question is, would you choose to be immortal?

I'd say no.  (Very grecian mythology / Tolkienish) But mortality was given to us as a gift.

Of course you can look at it the optimistic way.  Everyone right now is what's called, "Grand Piano Immortal."  Meaning their immortal, as long as a Grand Piano isn't dropped on them.  But what's to say that a grand piano isn't sickness or old age?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Didnt some star trek characters on one of the shows pretend to be pilots in the bob on the holodeck?

Maybe...but that's not "quite" what I had in mind.  ;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 06:18:09 PM »
Originally posted by Gh0stFT
and what if your wife had an fatality accident after living togheter for 900 years?

My guess is you'd be having one hell of a party :D

Marriage for 900 years has to go to be one of the major contributing factors against immortality!

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 07:14:49 PM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
Isn't it GW Bush?

Not sure about him either but this is a thread about immortality and thank the lord he and other politicians  are mortal.

:aok

Sorry - GW - my apology.

But with the implementing of immortality some politicians would like to become immortal i guess. I see some problems here.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2005, 07:16:49 PM »
I'd choose the treatment that would remove old age as the killer.  I'd like to control that aspect of my own mortality.  If it doesn't protect me from the falling piano, that's ok, it'll leave me better off then I was before.

If it turns out that I only have 150 years of stuff to do, then I excercise one of the few remaining rights that humans retain.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 08:11:59 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Maybe...but that's not "quite" what I had in mind.  ;)

I'm sure other characters had fantasies of being Airheads carribian maids just like you...

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 08:42:33 PM »
after 150 years, you'd get rediculously bored and end up spending the next 300 learning every skill imaginable...then start playing with "perfect" societies...then just to stop the boredom, we'd start playing rediculous livefire war games...