Author Topic: Setting gun convergence  (Read 1626 times)

Offline ZXMAW

• Copper Member
Setting gun convergence
« on: September 10, 2001, 03:55:00 PM »
I have 2 questions on this subject that I'm sure someone can answer and everyone who always wondered would want to know.

Gun convergence is where the bullets meet in the air then cross into a spray but what is the best convergence to use. Do different types of ammo need different types of convergence settings? (cannon/ 50's)

When setting the convergence on different planes you will notice a few different colors representing the different weapons the plane can carry. What colors represent which weapons and how should they be set?

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2001, 04:33:00 PM »
Gun convergence is a huge variable area.  It depends on who you ask and on what day.  Guns are harmonized to shoot at a certain point in front of the plane.  Anything closer and the bullet stream will hit farther apart and anything after this point the bullet stream will hit farther apart.. because the streams cross at the convergence point.
  Convergence should be set to personal tastes.  Some have it set max out around here.  I have mine set at about 300yds on most planes.  The spot where it the convergence is set is where you will most likely do the most damage... if you set convergence to 300 yds ..fire at 300yds for greatest concentration of fire.
  The difference in color is the placement of the guns.  If you look where the colors start on the plane are the guns they adjust.  There isn't any set color for calibre.  You can either adjust all of your guns to fire at the same spot ( all colors at 300yds) or stagger them some.  All set together is supposed to give a more concentrated stream at that yardage giving you a really powerful punch. Or you can stagger your convergence for each set of guns by 25,50,75,100 yds and have more of a shotgun affect of the guns.  
  I have heard of guys setting the convergence out farther on the cannon than the machine guns.  Does it help?  They seem to think so but I couldn't tell a huge difference.  
  Play with your convergence for your fighting style and see what works best for you.   :)  :)

S!
Rocket
AH Training Corp
AH Scenerio Team

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2001, 04:56:00 PM »
Ususally, guns are most powerful when hit from a close distance, and the probability of hitting is also highest when close. This means, though one has set high convergence range, and all the bullets may converge and hit the target, it is significantly weaker and chances of damaging the target plane is low.

Since setting high convergence ranges is rarely efficient due to:

1) Weak power from distance
 2) Low probability of hitting the target
 3) Lot of wasted ammo
 4) Target plane can easily maneuver out of way

.. This naturally suggests the tactics the real aces used. Get in close, then go closer. Set the convergence at low range. Most usually people set convergence ranges around 200~400 yards. And as you have questioned, different types of guns and ammo require different settings.

The standard USAAF weapon .50 Cal Machine gun is known for its high velocity and accuracy. When set at around 250~350 yards, it can hit close targets from 200 yard range to far targets up to about 500~700 yards. In case of Luftwaffe MG131 13mm machine guns, the rate of velocity is high but accuracy is lower than .50 Cals. Even at convergence, it is not much effective over 500 yards - thus, it should be setted between 200~250 yards(firing range should be not over 300 yards for best effect).

In theory, cannons have lower velocity than machine guns, and the shells - due to its heavier weight - drop more. This means you should set the cannon range slightly higher(about 25~50 yards) to compensate for the difference in drop rates. But in actual practice, the drop rate does not make much difference when you fire under 300 yard range. And since cannons have low ammo, nobody would want to waste it in long range tracking shots anyway -> this means most of the times, cannon shells are fired at a close range where the drop rates don't make much difference. So, there is no real need to set cannons and MGs differently. (But then again, there are those C-Hogs and N1K2-Js spraying at anything within 1.0 range.. but..  :D)

And, another thing, setting different convergence in individual guns do make some sort of difference at hitting the target. For instance, P-47s with 4 pairs of .50 MGs... if you set the innermost pair at 200, than proceed with 25 convergence apart.. so the guns are set 200, 225, 250, 275 .. in this case, the bullets are more spread out, therefore, chances of hitting the target are high - but the power will be weak. If you set all 8 guns at 200, the chance of hitting is low, but you'll have maximum power. You could set convergene at 'hybrid'.. inner two pairs at 225, outer two pairs at 250.. experiment with it and see which suits you best. But if you prefer shooting decisive and powerful bursts at real close range, of course, all guns set to about 200 yards is the best.

So to add it all up,

If you fly a USAAF plane, set the convergence between 250 and 350. If you fly a RAF plane, set it at about 250~275. Luftwaffe planes should have it at 200 or 225. Whatever the plane, the convergence should not go higher than 350.

Offline ZXMAW

• Copper Member
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2001, 06:14:00 PM »
After investigating further by adding and removing guns on the p47 I came up with a color pattern then I went to the spit and the pattern was different. I then added a bomb and got a new color to adjust so I went to the f4c to see if those colors matched up, they do not. Then I went back to the P47, loaded a bomb but no new convergence line was added for it so I came up with this.

There are no set color codes to distinguish between bombs, cannons and other munitions. All we can do is load a weapon set one by one as we check the convergence to see if a new line was added and go from there. Knowing your plane and where each weapon set is located helps. German planes have cannon in wings, spits have them farthest out on the wing ect ect.
Now I'm wondering how far out that bomb line should be and if all planes with that line will drop in the same location if I set all the same.  (Answer) Probably not but close enough.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2001, 06:36:00 AM »
Just as an FYI, I fly primarily US planes armed with .50 cal guns.  My favourite ride is the P-47 with it's 8 .50's.  I used to stagger my convergences for months, but I do not any longer.  I found with staggered convergences, I was getting too many assists.  I now set all 8 .50's on the Jug to 275 and all six to 250 for the Hellcat.  The very long range shots suffer for it, but I don't get kills from those anyway.  With all guns focussed on one point, if I get a hit at close to convergence, things explode.  For me, setting all .50's to the same convergence point gets me more kills and less assists.  I recommend you try it if you fly the .50 armed planes.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2001, 06:46:00 AM »
Um.. ZX..

"Bomb Convergence" lines?

I don't think I've ever seen that.. is there such thing??

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2001, 09:51:00 AM »
I found out early on that I seemed to have more punch with all guns converged together.

High speed passes with my6 .50s will kill quickly.. like a hot knife thru butter.

S!
Rocket

Offline HedBanger

• Zinc Member
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2001, 02:33:00 PM »
I'd like to add a question to this string.
Does the convergence setting have anything to do with vertical adjustments or just horizontal?

thanks
HeadBang

Offline Pinner

• Zinc Member
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
It should be that it takes into account both the horizontal and the vertical. The horizontal as has been discussed will have the criss-cross of the bullet stream at the convergence point. In the vertical, the gravity drop effect should be accounted for having the bullet drop into the center of the pipper out at the convergence range.

Originally posted by HedBanger:
I'd like to add a question to this string.
Does the convergence setting have anything to do with vertical adjustments or just horizontal?

thanks
HeadBang

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2001, 06:50:00 AM »
I fly the Spit IX with the .50's option. I set the cannons for 300 (killing range); and the .50 to 400.

The .50's are much more accurate than the cannons at long range (@400+). If the range is sub 400, I fire all guns. If the range is over 400, I fire the .50's only. I won't kill at 400 with the .50's, but I'll get hits, and 90% of the time they panic and start turning. Then I can close to sub 300 and kill them with the cannons.

Similarly, if the option's there, I like to set just one pair of guns longer than "the main batch" to ping runners. Once you start pinging them they nearly always turn, and then it's down to you.

The wider the guns are placed, the more important convergence is. Conversely, it's almost irrelevant on the P38, with centre line guns; one only has to remember the ballistic drop is greater for cannons, and thus fire only one weapon type at a time in long range shots (the .50's).

Offline JV44

• Copper Member
Setting gun convergence
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2001, 08:16:00 AM »
Hello...

Yesterday I was able to kill a alereon on a La 7 out of range of 1.0k. But it coast me 600 shoots, so it was waste of ammo....

The funny thing was that the La7 outruns me. Later I see a other knight kill it 4.5k away from me, he got assist and I got the kill...

lol   :D

JV 44