Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 16673 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #435 on: April 15, 2005, 01:53:28 AM »
On 4th patrol I got killed by a stupid mistake. Note to others: when a convoy approaches, be on either side of convoy. Do not wait for them to pass over.

Now it’s time to start third career.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #436 on: April 15, 2005, 06:43:52 AM »
This game is shrecking awesome!  (Thanks Saw!)

Q's:

Any way to increase the brightness/gamma?  Night-time engagements are impossible with my VDU.  It's just black.

Is it possible to train crew up?  Like......I'd like more POs qualified as watchmen.

How come after I've left port, set a course and left the thing on x1024 for a while......when I finally spot something and time auto slows back to x8 I find every crew member on the boat exhausted?  Don't these numpties end shifts and swap over on their own?

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #437 on: April 15, 2005, 06:53:30 AM »
Glad you got it Swoop, was beginning to wonder if Lulu post f*** ed up again.

Quick answer to your questions:

UZO: Are you on an Nvidia? I know there are issues with Nvidia.. did you try adjusting the gamma in your card settings (you can pretty much alt tab out of SHIII safely)

Crew: They get more xperience with time, you'll be able to promote them, ad give them medals... you will also be able to give one qualification between each patrol.

If you stay in TC (Time compression) above 32*, the crew won't tire... if you get below that, they will tire in aproximately 1h 20 min... not there is no "auto watch", it's the only part of the game i don't like... there are already mods out there that fix that.

Once you give your crew some big medals, they no longer get tired either.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #438 on: April 15, 2005, 07:42:22 AM »
Swoop has been bitten by the bug.  :)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #439 on: April 15, 2005, 07:56:41 AM »
It is a real fun game... my first patrol I came up cherry... didn't even SEE any ships, and they send me up by Scapa flow.  Got a couple of contacts on hydrophone, but they gave me the slip.  It was actually thundering and lightning the whole 7 days I was out on patrol.  

Second patrol went much better... got sent out in the Channel, farther south than I was before, just north of where England and France are really close.  Off the coast of Belgium I got a sound contact on the hydrophone, headed towards it... and a C2 cargo ship was tooling towards me.  Got set up for a perfect shot, set 2 torpedos to 9m depth, let em loose.  Both hit and exploded, but the damn ship didn't go down.  I had to finish it off with a 3rd torpedo set to hit at the waterline... the C2's bow was about 6 inches out of the water by that time.  But, I figured if the bastard hadn't gone down after an hour, it wasn't going to.  Got a small merchant and a coastal merchant in that patrol too.  

Anyway, anyone know if the ships send out maydays or anything?  Summon help and airplanes to their position?  That would be rather cool, I think.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #440 on: April 15, 2005, 08:14:02 AM »
Urchin, I *think* they don't when you manage to sinke them on your initial attack run. However, if you have the "We've been spotted sir" ... you can be almost certain to have planes in the air in the next 15 minutes... so I guess they do.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #441 on: April 15, 2005, 08:36:25 AM »
damn... when torpedoing enemy destroyers at daylight be sure you've selected electric torps and not those which run with steam...

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #442 on: April 15, 2005, 10:47:34 AM »
I ran into a Task force of 2 Revenge class battleships and 5 destroyers (3 C- Class and 2 Tribal).

I sunk 1 Battleship and damaged the other but was forced away by the Tribal destroyers.

The Next Patrol I went South almost to Gibraltar and caught a few C3's off the coast of Spain. I tracked back North while rtb'ing following the convoy route and ran head long into another task force. This one was made up of 2 cruisers, 1 Illustrious Class Carrier and many destroyers.

It took almost 2 days of saving to eventually get set up but I got off a spread of 4 torpedos and sunk the carrier. I then crash dived to 125m and got the hell out of there.

On the way back I caught another convoy in AM02. This one was full of troop transports and tankers with 2 V & W destroyers on the corners.

I slipped in the middle of the convoy and sunk a T2 and a Troop transport.

I made it back into Wilhelmshaven to a heros welcome.

Installed the Convoy/Destroyer Mod and the 20% Single Shipping Mod. Am waiting for a complete World Mod or a bundled Mod with all mods combined, then I will start over

The same thing I run. I am waiting on the world mod to mature but so far everything is a lot of fun...

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2005, 01:24:32 PM »
Swoop, the only real way to beat the Dark of Night is one, Play in low light conditions, make sure there is no glare on your monitor.

I play with usually one light in an adjacent room on. Some people go as far to put red bulbs in their lamps. But thats kind of wierd.

Secondly, get your watch officer and give him some medals, When you have a watch officer on deck, the chances of you spotting a ship or aircraft in the dark of night are greatly increased.

My Strategy for Awards and Promotion is pretty simple.

Officers First. All of my Officers have IC 1st or 2nd, My CE has the German Cross and guess what? He never tires.

When promoting Non Coms, and Sailors, I go for the ones with the most patrols, I think in about two more patrols, all my crew will have either clasp or War Badge.

Skills matter, but its your choice, just pick what you need most.

For Example Ive got 4 machinists, so I can have two on the engines at all times.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #444 on: April 15, 2005, 02:59:12 PM »
Decisions, decisions... wait, I'm out of torpedos.  ****!

I don't know why, but I like hovering below these guys.  You can tell the destroyers are pissed the way they disrupt the formation and drop random charges.

Just launched a volley.  Dove and ran.  I usually run into the convoy and watch the destroyers get pissed...

What happened to the one I was hiding under...

son of a bitch!  Still 1940! :D

You are shrecked.  (two images spliced, above/under)

Testing out my new deck gun on the Type IXB :)  Told the gunners to open fire long range and they were making hits at 4k!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 03:02:39 PM by Octavius »
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2005, 03:33:06 PM »
Nice screenies Oct.:aok

My deck gunner was awesome on my last mission...I think he sank 7 or 8 ships.  It was a convoy whose contact was relayed to me...I ran into a single C2 on the way to the convoy which the deck gunner dispatched with ease, then when I got to the convoy I drove the boat straight at it, firing torps and allowing my gunner to clean house.  Ended up with 11 ships and over 54,000 tonnes sunk.

I was damaged by a depth charge attack, but nothing serious.  Made it home and was able to award my watch officer a Knights Cross...gave the other to the Nav officer.

PS....How do you take screenies?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #446 on: April 15, 2005, 03:38:17 PM »
Do planes roll of deck of cvs when listing ?

And is there debris (cargo,sailors,oil slicks) floating after a ship has gone down ?
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #447 on: April 15, 2005, 03:46:37 PM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
Do planes roll of deck of cvs when listing ?

And is there debris (cargo,sailors,oil slicks) floating after a ship has gone down ?

Yes, but not as Graphic as it sounds, all I usually see is Cargo Boxes. Ive seen screenies of sailors being blown off the Decks of Destroyers though.

Now when I hit the Illustrious, It was to dark to see. And although I took a picture of her before I put four in her, I wasnt going to stick around for a good picture after, because after the intial explosions it was like someone turned on the electricity at Scapa Flow.

Screenshots are F11 I beleive.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #448 on: April 15, 2005, 04:23:43 PM »
I sunk some light cruiser at Scapa Flow and watched it to fall in the bottom of the bay. It had a aircraft (looked like a Walrus) on the catapult and when the cruiser turned on to its side the aircraft fell down from the ship.

Edit:
About crews: I hit some DE with a torp and saw guys who were manning the AA-guns flying in the air...

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #449 on: April 15, 2005, 05:57:18 PM »
Finished Patrol 11.

Just had my first run in with a tribal, and I was complaining about No ASDIC Destroyers.

Got Crapped on for about 25 Minutes, but snuck away unscathed. Matter of fact it was the first time my boat rocked do to Depth Charges.

It was my worst Patrol to date. Less than 5000 Tons of Merchants, Two Armed Trawlers and my first Aircraft, A hurricane.

Next Patrol slated August 4th 1940 (AN26) Departing Brest.