Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 16386 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2005, 06:25:05 AM »
Originally posted by Schutt
I leave one crew spot empty in the Type II boat, made it easier for me to handle the crew, have the same amount in the back crew room than in the engine room but only 6 crewman and 4 maates needed.

If the crew is exhausted from a battle make sure to switch as soon as you have fully rested ones. Fully rested sitting in the bed will make you loose "overall resting capability".

The Sims U-Boat :D

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2005, 06:27:32 AM »
Originally posted by Kirin
Another advantage of magnetic pistol is that you get better succes at steep angles. I blown up ships from dead 6 that way -  e.g. when you cannot catch em.

Man.. my torps from behind only gets deflected by the force shi.. erm... propellers.
Instead I use the under the keel system.. lots of metal to trigger the magnetic fuse :D

Jarsci,

Use magnetic torps 1 meter below the targets draft.
Goes from all angles.
Only problem is when you have already hit a ship and want to finish it, then it might be little bit deeper and you don't know how deep.

Works nicely against the destroyers trying to run you over :D

Then you'll also benefit if you aim particular spots on the ships.
When you know where to hit, you can get even the 11 ton ships to cut in half with a single torpedo, which could otherwise take even 3 torpedos.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 06:31:55 AM by Fishu »

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2005, 06:51:39 AM »
Phew - just finished the patrol I met the convoy (see above).

Got away from the destroyer by sitting still at 100m until he had enough and went back into formation. Then I set a new intercept point. Set myself up about 2km from the convoys course on about 90° angle. Wanted the destroyer bad!!!

Problem was that it was still alert and was doing a search pattern in front of the fleet. Well I wanted him. Set myself up right in front fleets path, periscope depth, all engines stopp. I got too anxious and wasted 3 torps while I had him 90° off at about 1000m - but he turned too early...

Well, side effect was he went back to fleet since he must have noticed the torp explosions in the rear.

So, outta front torps I had enough. I surfaced and opened fire with the deck gun. For my luck it was night. The destroyer did not discover me until I had hit him 4 or 5 times. Then he opened fire with his deck gun. Ok, I wanted to bully it out. I kept firing as he turned on me and closed at flank speed. Tracers went past me, near hits but no directs. Luckily I made some AP hits just below the waterline.

At approx 1500m I alarm-dived and headed straight into the convoy at flank speed. As I had freighters all around me by using the hydrophone I went to periscope depth again. And there he was, the destroyer doing his search pattern again, but with searchlights this time. I kept the periscope as low as possible. I noticed he got "Schlagseite" - so the waterline hits must have breached the hull. But he was still fully manouverable.

I again got anxious. Since I only had aft torpedos left I let one go at a T3 tanker my rear. It was a bad angle and 2500m away. The stopwatch went beyond the redline and I thought the torp wasted. But I heard an explosion - no kill message though.

That woke the destroyer up again and he started going in front of the fleet. Maybe he thought I'd be still out there.

Well, as he passed 1500m I surfaced again and opened fire! This time I got noticed as soon as my tower peaked out. Tracers went flying again. As he showed me his side I was able (or rather lucky) to get one of the rear guns. A few hits later the destroyer actually gave in. The top HE hits plus the waterline AP hits must have been too much!

I couldn't believe it - I won a shoot-out battle with a WV Destroyer... :D

So there I was in the middle of that convoy with no protection left. Too bad I wasted all my AP ammo. But still I was able to sink a C3 cargo (american!!), a T3 tanker (which was already partially submerged from the 1 torp hit), a T2 and a small tanker, 2 C2s and a small freighter that crossed my line of fire to the C2 (don't do that!).

All in all 10 merchants and 1 warship sank. Finished the patrol by sitting 24h at AN13 and heading back to Brest.

On the way back I got a radio message on another convoy - but  absolutely no ammo left.

Got 2200 points for it (maybe some deduction because of the "neutral" american C3 cargo?). Couple of EK and promotions for the crew plus the small stuff.

Playing at 97% realism (event movie on so I can judge the manual torpedo solution after launch)
---

some cool observations  :cool:

- One of the C2 had tanks laden!
- the american C3 had trucks laden - I shot them burning for the fun of it - after a while the exploded and fell of deck!
- some of the freighters tried to run, others went for collision course and most stayed on course

tip on shelling C3
 - there is a cavity below the bridge; put some HE into that hole from front angle and it will explode rather quickly (maybe 10 shots or so)
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2005, 07:05:33 AM »
Originally posted by Bluedog
But that feature you are talking about is definately still in the game, it shows up when your U-boat is pointed within about +/- 10 deg from having a 'perfect' 90 deg deflection shot, or 180 deg for the stern tube.

You must have the recognition manual open on the right class of boat for the one you are targeting also.

You can just click a box for engine room, fuel tanks, keel etc, and let her rip.

I haven't seen that happen? :I

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2005, 10:52:27 AM »
Doesn't compartment tgt'ing only work in easy mode? And you have to be fairly close.

I read about it - but never managed the compartment side (it's a third page in the reco manual) to pop up. Not very interested either though... ;)
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Titanic
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2005, 11:51:03 AM »
Wow... talk about a blind crew :D
I just survived a mid-sea collision with a small merchant, rough seas, rain & heavy fog...I was merely cruising at 15 knots trying to follow a sound contact. I am looking at the map, when I hear screaching sounds and "we're taking damage sir!", I go on the deck to investigate... and we're flanking & scraping the hull of a ship 3 * our size... hard rudder left, flank speed... go to repair crew & repair minor damage here & there. I went back to the heading of the ship I just saw (at that point I already lost visibility on the ship.... visibility is about 300 meters.). Go to PD, listen to the bearing and wait with the periscope out, franticaly scanning the sound bearing. Set the back torp to magnetic 8-9 meters deep. Here he comes, by the time I ask my  torpedo officer to set a firing shot, the ship is already passed 40 deg to my right flank... Switch to the two front torps I had set to aproximately the same settings, and at 280 is I rip two ... tic tic tic...BOOM! ....tic tic...BOOM!

You can hear the sounds of the breaking hull in the hydrophone room :D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2005, 12:15:47 PM »
Have to see if this thing is out in Canada yet.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2005, 12:26:44 PM »
Did a little excell sheet (simple) to convert the speeds & distances (One or the other is ok for me... as long as I don't try to use them both at the same time).

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/19_1111603134_speeds.xls

(Edited to put a new version)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:39:34 PM by Saintaw »
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2005, 12:50:44 PM »
Wow, some of you guys are doing amazing things, considering this game has only been out since last week! :eek::cool:

OK, I have the 60 page manual that came in the box, and there's a .PDF version of it in the installation. But is there any more training material than that? Positioning the boat to attack with torpedoes is quite a substantial task. Surely there must be more training than the guidance notes at the start of the exams. I have only done the exams so far - no career missions yet.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2005, 01:05:45 PM »
Beetle, did you see the training videos? If not, when in training menu, click on the "view tutorial" (bottom option).

Am going back under to get out of that fog (Wish we could have weather forcast from BDU).
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2005, 02:54:54 PM »
You guys all suck.

My copy is being delivered sometime...probably the classic "Two Weeks".
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2005, 04:11:03 PM »
Don't sweat it, I have two copies :D
(If anyone is interested in having it shipped from Yurop, but be warned, I cannot ship it before next tuesday). Got the one in the shop... and had the shipping confirmation of the other one as I got home.

Straffo, si ca te dis, j'ai la version avec le manuel en francais.

That patrol was horrendous, all of it was under very heavy weather... it felt like walking with the eyes binded in an elephant park. 2 more C3's in my logbook though :)

PS: I can't figure where the he** are the screenshots I did?

Meanwhile... this would be AH related: Planes attacks screenshots:
http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=59010161&f=469102863&m=3221048692
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 04:27:57 PM by Saintaw »
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2005, 04:17:29 PM »
SAW - found the tutorial, thanks. On my first attempt, I didn't hit a sausage. It wouldn't let me fire until I had "solution". I think I'll watch the tut again. :mad:

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2005, 04:22:22 PM »
Merci mais non :)
Vu le temps que j'ai passé sur les versions précédente et sur 688 ces jeux ne sont que des accélérateur de divorce :)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2005, 04:30:28 PM »
Celui ci c'est la marque "divorce guaranti" :D

edited for Straff-ism. (eh?)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 04:42:06 PM by Saintaw »
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.