Author Topic: Will ToD work or will it be another CT  (Read 3492 times)

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
Will ToD work or will it be another CT
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2005, 02:15:45 PM »
sorry cliffra jones seems you thread has been hijacked..

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2005, 02:16:12 PM »
You know what?  It is hard to have any sympathy for anyone who bails on an arena, blames it on other players, and yet, does absolutely nothing to help improve the situation.

From my perspective, everything in the CT is peachy.  No problems whatsoever.  If you are complaining, here in the bulletin board, I can only surmise you need attention of some kind, as there are no issues I am aware of with the CT nor the players using it.

I will continue to go on the perspective the CT is doing ok, and the players in it are handling themselves in a mature and polite manner, until I get some screenshots saying otherwise.

Balls in your court, step up to the bar or quit your bellyaching.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Kutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.cfl.rr.com/kutt
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2005, 02:17:39 PM »
I'm not in favor of slamming in a TOD rule set as an entire package. If too many wrong assumptions are made by the AH dev team, this could lead to a train wreck that may be difficult to save.

I would be interested in seeing some form of rolling plane set to start with in the MA. Ever since coming back to AH, it seems to me there is a fairly significant capabilities gap between the early war rides to the late war stuff. This gap can be filled when the "hot sticks" take up an inferior plane, but the rank and file can not or will not try to fly the older iron for the sake of variety. I think this is why we see the same 5 plane types being flown by 90% of the pilots every night. A little more variety to plane set that is actually flown would be nice.

Once the pacing of the rolling plane set is nailed down, I would like them to beef up personal stats. The emphasis being that you are flying against your last flight, not that you are trying to beat the entire player base. The stats need to tell the story of personal improvement in order to dangle the carrot in front of the newer pilots to get better.

Pilot logs, awards, ranks are great as long as they clearly show personal improvement as an emphasis and do not solely focus on how you rank with the best of the player base. Healthy competition between similarly skilled pilots is a great thing.

I know a lot of people say they don’t fly for score. It is easy to fly by the numbers to make yourself look better. That is why I think the emphasis should be on personal improvement. If your cooking your own numbers to make yourself look better to yourself… well umm go ahead I guess.

Not so sure about AI. If the AI is implemented in such a way that it forces pilots to make more interesting decisions, or is done so that the pace of missions is more frequent then it may work. If it just done to add more planes in the air, not sure what that adds once the thrill of clubbing “baby seal” AI pilots is gone.

I think TOD will work if it puts more game into the sim. The flying it self should remain realistic. Creating more interesting decisions, tracking self improvement, creating a better atmosphere and immersion are things that TOD could provide for AH.

I hope it succeeds.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2005, 02:23:38 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
You know what?  It is hard to have any sympathy for anyone who bails on an arena, blames it on other players, and yet, does absolutely nothing to help improve the situation.

From my perspective, everything in the CT is peachy.  No problems whatsoever.  If you are complaining, here in the bulletin board, I can only surmise you need attention of some kind, as there are no issues I am aware of with the CT nor the players using it.

I will continue to go on the perspective the CT is doing ok, and the players in it are handling themselves in a mature and polite manner, until I get some screenshots saying otherwise.

There is barely anyone in the CT Skuzzy.  It's not alright.  In fact it sees less use than either the training arena or deuling arena.  Thats not boding well for TOD..

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2005, 02:25:36 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Total waste of time

FU hub:D

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2005, 02:31:39 PM »
"I don't grasp the idea behind doing TOD from a developers point of view. Clearly, it's closest option, the CT is a dismal failure....Why not focus on the MA"

Why? I'd imagine it's because the number of players who subscribe to play in the AH "MA" are a mere fraction of the potential customers who buy historically oriented box sims and who play online in historical settings (ex/ IL2 and WWIIO).  

The CT is not a good example of an historical setting in the least.  Why? Because it is just another "MA" but with slightly different rules  As such it does not appeal to MA players and yet it lacks a decent historical environment

TOD is, I believe, going to be like an "Aces over The Pacific/Europe - European Air War- IL2: ONLINE"    And that will appeals to a LOT of people I'll wager.

It's purpose is not to offer the current MA subscriber base another gameplay option. I'm sure some of those players will like it but from what I gather it's audience will be mainly people who buy box sims such as IL2, EAW and the Aces series.  People who want, and will pay,  to experience WWII air combat against people and not all AI in an historical setting all while roleplaying as Bong, Bader, Sakai or Galland.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2005, 02:52:26 PM »

:rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2005, 02:53:47 PM »
Rabid, not sure why you want to equate the CT to TOD.  From what I have read on the board, they are worlds apart.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline plank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2005, 03:02:51 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
:rofl

Great input and constructive criticism, kudos.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2005, 03:03:42 PM »
Rabid, not sure why you want to equate the CT to TOD.  From what I have read on the board, they are worlds apart.

Can you tell me where to find info on ToD skuzzy?  I'm interested, but I really haven't seen anything official.  Thanks.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2005, 03:13:15 PM »
well.. I hope Westy is right and it all works out but I continue to get the impression that HTC is pretty well maxed out just chewing the code (coad) base you folks have now.

The nearest thing you have to it is CT and it lacks any real support from the player base or HTC.

I'm laying my poker chips on another year for TOD while ah2 languishes with minor fixes and maybe a couple new AC or GV's.  TOD will just make it out the door with lots o issues and not nearly the interest we all hope for.

Hope I'm totally wrong but history has a habit of repeating itself.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by plank
Great input and constructive criticism, kudos.

Right.  Things in the CT are peachy? you don't think thats funny?  My post was as constructive as yours or his.  Atlist his was funny.  Off the high white horse now please, :D

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2005, 03:55:38 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
In that different thread, I asked you for your opinion(s) on the reason for the decline in numbers in the CT since AH2 was introduced.  You have yet to respond.

Humble, people are getting up front and personal because there is an implicit, and, on this occasion, an explicit theme in your posts that the CT is populated by losers who somehow can't make it in the MA.  You, Morpheus, Selector, Widewing and others are doing the same thing in this thread.  How could you really expect that you wouldn't draw a personal counter-reaction?

- oldman

Actually I'm implying that about 18 months ago "squads" appeared in the CT...prior to that there really were no such animals. Those squads began to alter the CT for the worse, 1st by "porking" the maps and rolling things up in the face of zero or almost zero opposition. 2nd by "ganging" the individual fllyers who had typically made up the CT headcount. Each and everytime these issues were brought up those same folks started the "loser' threads taunts...in effect telling those they were ganging...dont blame us because you cant cut it here. You see this same thread continuing here from storch and others...in effect I'm a "loser" and I "suck". Why? for calling a spade a spade?

I could care less about what anyone in the CT thinks of me.....that being said I have always tried to be fair when you gritz or others who I do respect get caught in my overly broad "assualt" on the CT:)....

I simply feel bad that a small number of bad apples ruined the whole thing. The DA and TA get significantly more play than the CT...that sums it up nicely. The community as a whole has issues with the CT or it would have a larger following...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2005, 04:10:40 PM »
Hey oldman ,

Nothing but respect for you sir.  Always a good and fair fight when you are around.  Win or lose, its always a fun fight.  CT, MA, . . . all games, need more people like you.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2005, 04:11:39 PM »

I couldnt disagree with you anymore....

1st off I have "helped" somewhat. I spent a pretty significant amount of time as a trainer here. I still work with folks if/when they ask. I'm saying that to project im anything special...I'm just another one of hundreds of relatively competent vets. I flew the CT for years and my comments are in the hopes of bringing it back. When I started flying the CT the normal peak load was 150-250 players max...now we get 450+ every night. Back then you might have 35-40 in the CT on a good night. that was 15% or more of the logged player base...sometimes as much as 25%+.

Now with 450 or even 500 folks on you rarely see 15 folks in the CT...that between 3% to 5% of the logged player base. Further the quality of play in the MA has decreased dramatically with regard to the "old school" mentality...yet the hundreds of "old school" types wont set foot in the CT....why. You'll see us tooling around amonst the hordes in A5's Ki-61's 109 G-2's P47-11's and P40's instead of bothering with the CT.

If you want to believe its fine all I can say is coming from someone whos been here (almost all the time:)) since beta...its a shadow of what it was....and could be.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson