Author Topic: Questions  (Read 779 times)

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
Questions
« on: March 26, 2005, 10:08:52 PM »
I'm New to Aces High, (Been playing about 4 days now offline learning to fly, set controls, that kinda thing)

Anyway I have a few questions that I cant find the answers to in the help section

Maybe someone can help

1.When I'm flying there is a grey band (This is where it tells you ditched or crashed, that kinda stuff)

How do you make it go away? It's very distracting as it comes accross the gunsight.

2.when flying the P51D, I take off fly for awhile, then I hear this loud bang. I check my damage and it has my landing gear in the red. How do I stop doing this? I looked for a key to raise landing gear, but I just dont see one.

3. When flying, If I dive my screen goes red. If I climb to fast or turn to fast My screen starts blacking out. I assume this is to simulate too many G's which can cause black out. Is this correct?

Also if I bank hard I get a sound like a elec hair trimmer. Is this a stall sound or something?

4. When mapping keys (global, flight, chute etc)
Depending on which you have checked, are these the ones that are active?

What I mean is, If I have global checked, does that mean that my flight keys are not active?

If so, what set of keys are best to use with a fighter? Global or flight or what?

Anyway thanks for the time. I hope in a couple of days I'll have this figured out and be comfortable enough to come fly online.

Again, Thanks

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:14:22 AM »
(1)From clipboard left click setup, video, then GUI and pull the sliders down to about 7%. You'll need to keep them greyed a little. I then go back and grab the messege bar by left click and hold and move it to the top left corner. The (`) key is defalt for min/max.(2)G key. (3)Yes and yes. The stall limmiter can be disabled but I wouldn't right away till you learn the limmits of a few rides.(4) No. They are devided in catigories to make it easier. No key or combo of keys does more than one thing and most of them work well where there at when you get used to them. Tried to move some around once and opened a big can of worms.There are a few minor functions that are not assigned a keystoke. If you have an account go to the Training Arena where someone WILL help you. If you haven't gone online the first  2 weeks are free. There is a learning curve but the Training Arena will get you on track the quickest.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
Questions
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 12:30:22 AM »
Thank you for the help!
Now I have gear to lang with LOL

I'll try the traing arena here shortly.

Thanks again

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
Questions
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 01:02:30 AM »
Question on landing.....

I see the green light during takeoff (gear down)

I get in the air, hit the G key and see the lights go amber, then out.

But when I come in to land, I hit the G key again but I dont get a green light showing they have come back down.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm throttled back and about 2000ft

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Questions
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 02:19:09 AM »
You should be below 200 mph to lower landing gear.  In some planes, closer to 150 mph.  There really isnt alot of pressure required to lower landing gear, and it cant overcome the forces of the wind pressure at those speeds.  If your gear were already down and you exceeded 200 mph, you would probably hear that snapping sound again and your indicator lights would all go amber.

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
Questions
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 03:02:06 AM »
Being I'm just figuring out the controls and all....
I have my throttle all the way back (Just like when I take off)

Is there some other control I need to add to slow down more?

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 03:19:12 AM »
Flaps.  Engaging flaps will slow you down.  You need to read up on whatever plane you have chosen to learn to fly in, some planes have flaps designed for "landing only", meaning they usually have just two settings.  UP or DOWN.  In a full down position, flaps act like an airbrake to slow the plane down, and at the same time they provide extra lift to help keep your plane up at lower speeds than it normally could manage without stalling.  I like to be at around 100mph or less when my wheels cross the end of the runway.  The rudder can also act like  a big airbrake, but I would recommend you get comfortable flying first before you try using the rudder to slow down.  It requires a bit of a balancing act to hold the plane steady and level with full rudder deflection.  Even left or right with the rudder is a decision that can vary from plane to plane due to torque modelling.  One of the simplest ways for you to kill  your speed, as a new pilot, is as  you come in close to the runway, if your speed is over 200mph put your plane into a banking turn with the throttle down.  Make a complete 360 degree turn, pushing the throttle up a bit if you need to to keep your speed up where you can handle the plane.  Be careful not to climb too much during the turn, and work the throttle to stay just fast enough to handle the plane without stalling.  As you come back lined up with the runway, check your speed.  150 or less, drop your landing gear.  Drop flaps.  Push some throttle back in if you have to, but try to let the plane settle toward the runway.  As you cross the end, pull the throttle back, and hold your rate of descent to 1 or less.  Just before you hit the ground, you should be hearing the stall buzzer start, pull back GENTLY on the stick and let the plane fall onto the runway.  Use the spacebar to brake (unless you have another controller mapped to the brake).  Cut your engine and head to the tower.

Trainers in the Training Arena can help you perfect your landing skills.  Dont feel too bad if it takes awhile, 75% of the guys playing this game dont bother with their landings.  They either belly flop on the runway, or never make it back.  :)  Good luck!

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
Questions
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 03:42:42 AM »
StarOfAfrica2
Thanks for your help.

I'm flying a P51D.
I just found where  the Airspeed gage is LOL.

I guess I was throttleing back way too late.

It took a long time to get from 250-300 down to 150.

Once I get it slowed to 150 (Like you said) the wheels come down

(Man its hard to keep the runway lined up and the wings level for that long)

Anyway  (just cause I'm not sure) at level flight my top speed in the P51 is about 250-300. Is this about right?

Sorry to ask so much but my PM thing dosent work.
And being this is the 1st flight sim I have nothing to base my  contols on.

You talked about flaps ..... do I need them with the Mustang?

Again thanks to everyone who has helped me out.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 04:37:36 AM »
Learning the flap controls in the Mustang will help you alot, but you dont HAVE to use them to fly it and land.  The Mustang has several flap settings, the 1st "notch" is generally called the "combat flap" setting.  Some planes like the P-51, P-38 and a few others have "combat flaps".  You will also see the term "fowler flaps" used sometimes.  The first flap setting allows a little tighter turns in a dogfight without dragging too much of your speed (although you still have to watch how many G's you pull).  In a Mustang, for landing, I'd use the second "notch" of flaps to help slow you down, and give you the extra lift you need for slow speed handling.  The P-51 is very touchy at the edge of a stall, I'd stay off the rudders if I were you.  

Oh, and you should be going alot faster in level flight than 300 mph.  Make sure you dont have your flaps engaged, make sure the gear is up, and until you are comfortable in the plane I'd use the Combat Trim.  It will automatically keep your plane trimmed for you as you fly.  I'd also leave the Stall Limiter on for now.  Both of these can be turned off later and let you take the plane much further in performance.

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
Questions
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 06:03:12 AM »
Gear is up and None of the flap buttons are assigned.

I had the stall limiter off

Not sure what you mean by "1st notch" and 2nd notch...Is this a setting in the flight controls setup?

practiced and finally was able to land w/o crashing it.

went into the main areana late last night to check it out.

Now I just have to figure what I'm supposed to do once I'm there
LOL

Question though...... once I'm online (On my computer)
My Login name dosent show on the roster..... but my password is listed?

Is this correct or did I do it backwards?

Thanks again for your time
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 06:20:37 AM by Elyeh »

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Questions
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 08:34:20 AM »
Elyeh, contrary to what some say about using stall limiter, I recommend that you turn it OFF and leave it OFF.

It will become a crutch, and it will limit you in so many ways. You are much better off learning how to fly the whole aircraft. Once you do, stalls and spins will become a thing of the past.

Just my $.02

RTR
The Damned

Offline Wind

• Zinc Member
Questions
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 10:36:37 AM »
Originally posted by Elyeh
Not sure what you mean by "1st notch" and 2nd notch...Is this a setting in the flight controls setup?

It's an amount of "flaps" you get.  Some planes have only flaps down or flaps up.  The P-51 has multiple degrees of flaps.  If you push your flaps key more than once, you will get more flaps.   The more flaps you have, the slower you fly.

Aces High has an "auto-retract" setting as well, so if you are flying too fast, the flaps automatically go back up.  (some of us hate that--different story)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Questions
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 12:48:10 PM »
I'm New to Aces High, (Been playing about 4 days now offline learning to fly, set controls, that kinda thing)

Anyway I have a few questions that I cant find the answers to in the help section

Maybe someone can help

1.When I'm flying there is a grey band (This is where it tells you ditched or crashed, that kinda stuff)

How do you make it go away? It's very distracting as it comes accross the gunsight.

That is called the text buffer. It doesn't go away but you can move it around the screen by grabbing it with the mouse and dragging. Suggestion. Drag it to a point dead center at the bottom of your screen. It won't be in the way of your views.

2.when flying the P51D, I take off fly for awhile, then I hear this loud bang. I check my damage and it has my landing gear in the red. How do I stop doing this? I looked for a key to raise landing gear, but I just dont see one.

The loud bang is your gear breaking. If you use max gear extension speed, for most planes, of 150 mph you will not break the gear. The G key on the keyboard toggles gear up/down

3. When flying, If I dive my screen goes red. If I climb to fast or turn to fast My screen starts blacking out. I assume this is to simulate too many G's which can cause black out. Is this correct?

Correct. Speed is the major contributor to both red and black outs. Your choices are limited to easing pressure on stick movement or adjusting your stick "throws".

Also if I bank hard I get a sound like a elec hair trimmer. Is this a stall sound or something?

The sound is the stall warning. When your angle of attack gets too high the stall buzzer goes off to give you warning of the impending stall. You will find that easing pressure on the stick will reduce the angle of attack and you buzzer will cease.

4. When mapping keys (global, flight, chute etc)
Depending on which you have checked, are these the ones that are active?

What I mean is, If I have global checked, does that mean that my flight keys are not active?

Any keys can be keymapped and/or changed. This includes the ability to turn on/off some functions. However, there are so many keys that are available it is very easy to change keys and end up with duplicates. Suggestion ask for help from any trainer in the Traint Arena (TA)

If so, what set of keys are best to use with a fighter? Global or flight or what?

Global, flight, view keys etc depict the particular keys assigned to perform a certain function. For instance, "view" keys are those key assigned to provide multiple views using a variety of keys. Firing guns or tracers on/off are a function of "flight" keys. So, if you wanted to assign a key which would change  tracers from on to off you would go to the "flight" keys section.

Anyway thanks for the time. I hope in a couple of days I'll have this figured out and be comfortable enough to come fly online.

I know this might sound funny but an hour in the TA will get you setup, get some basic flight instuction, provide you with other folks, who are at your particular skill level, so you can practice new things you will be learning. It will also begin to provide you with the flavor of this fun and interesting game. I hope this helps you.

Again, Thanks

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Questions
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 01:23:09 PM »
I'm flying a P51D.
I just found where  the Airspeed gage is LOL.

I guess I was throttleing back way too late.

It took a long time to get from 250-300 down to 150.

It is easy to slow if you go level, then cut throttle to idle. The problem most folks have is they cut the throttle then nose over. When you nose over to get lower on your approach gravity tries to help you get down faster. While it helps you getting lower faster it does nothing to help slow you down for the final approach and landing.  So, once you get down to around 1000 ft. go level and cut the throttle. As the plane slows add flaps (q and w keys), as she continues to slow add more flaps until you are down to 150 or so then lower the gear (g key). Let the plane continue to slow to 110 mph then begin the nose over to a landing. Add only enough power to maintain 110 mph. Continue a gentle descent to the runway, cut the throttle and very gently ease back pressure on the stick to arrest your downward movement. As the plane slow continue to add gentle back pressure until she touches down with a perfect 3-point landing. Do not rush any of this. There is no race to get it on the ground and it will happen for you :). Also, the reason for a traffic pattern is to allow you to transition from normal cruise speeds to approach speeds. While there are basic left and right haned traffic patterns as in real life (RL) you can do anything you want as long as you manage to get your plane slowed to a final approach speed.

Once I get it slowed to 150 (Like you said) the wheels come down

(Man its hard to keep the runway lined up and the wings level for that long)

Anyway  (just cause I'm not sure) at level flight my top speed in the P51 is about 250-300. Is this about right?

Close enough for now. Right now getting used to the planes flight characteristics (like when will it stall or when do the controls lock up form going to fast) are what you need to be doing, The Mustang is a very good plane that is fun to fly, However, it is not the most forgiving plane to begin with. While no real fighter is completely docile, like a cessna 152, there are other choices which will give you the opportunity to get used to the flight model of AH2 much more quickly than using a P-51. The learning curve is quite steep because these planes follow the same basic physics that real ones do.

Sorry to ask so much but my PM thing dosent work. And being this is the 1st flight sim I have nothing to base my contols on.

I'm not quite sure what a PM is but I was going to ask what stick you have. We can help you get it set up correctly in the TA whenever you want

You talked about flaps ..... do I need them with the Mustang?

Again thanks to everyone who has helped me out.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Questions
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 01:40:52 PM »
went into the main areana late last night to check it out.

Now I just have to figure what I'm supposed to do once I'm there
LOL

The MA is where all the action happens. It is a very difficult place in which to begin this game. There are so many things going on, planes flying around, things to learn about maps reading, dogfighting and the like, that it is very easy to be ovewhelmed by everything going on around you. The TA gives you a safe environment to begin learning about the game.

Question though...... once I'm online (On my computer)
My Login name dosent show on the roster..... but my password is listed?

You actually have a login ID and passward  and a "call sign" for flying. The call sign is the name everyone will know you by in the Arenas. If you did not pick a call sign when you first logged online then you end up with a number. Something like 1237856. I'd suggest you change it as soon as possible. Beware. The call sign you chose will prolly stick with you as long as you fly online sims :). You may also find you're favorite one is already taken so take yer time and choose wisely:D

OK, out for Easter dinner.