Author Topic: Regrets of Drugs Use and Booze Poll:  (Read 838 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Regrets of Drugs Use and Booze Poll:
« on: April 02, 2005, 09:05:04 AM »
I was just reading the Hunter S. thread and it got me thinking:

Which of you can now say that you would have been better off had you never: smoked, drank or used particular (or all) drugs?  Also state your age and how you believe that you would have answered this question in your younger years.

eskimo

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 09:23:48 AM »
the question is strange.  How do I know what I would have been had I not done certain things?   I believe that all we have done and seen are what makes us what we are.   All our experiances, good and bad.

I regret some things sure but nothing I can do about em now... I figure if I am a saint the rest of my life tho that I might get a little bit shadier spot in hell or a glass of luke warm ice tea every eternity or so.

lazs

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 09:50:45 AM »
I used "recreational" drugs for many years. On reflection, I don't think it had any effect on. . .. er. . . . . ah . . . . . . What was the question?

GronK
Flying as Noser

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 09:52:05 AM »
I tried acid 73 times. I do regret that last time... when I tried to fly off the roof of my house... was a rough landing
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 10:01:24 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
the question is strange.  How do I know what I would have been had I not done certain things?   I believe that all we have done and seen are what makes us what we are.   All our experiances, good and bad.

I regret some things sure but nothing I can do about em now... I figure if I am a saint the rest of my life tho that I might get a little bit shadier spot in hell or a glass of luke warm ice tea every eternity or so.

lazs

Certainly you can only guess.  You most likely would be a somewhat different person had you experienced less booze & drugs and more of whatever else you think that you may have done in its place.  

It’s kind of like guessing if your life would have been better had you chosen a different career.  Your career is part of who you are, but after awhile many folks realize that they didn’t choose a career that suited them very well.  After gaining some life experience through age, they can only guess that a different career would have been better for them.  Quite possibly they would have ended up living in a different town, married someone else or experience a major random tragedy.  All of these possibilities are beside the point however.

It would be fair for some folks to say had they not relied on booze & drugs for thrills they probably would have sought adrenaline thrills through speed in cars, skies, etc.

Basically, did your experiences with booze & drugs do more harm than good?  Without booze & drugs would you most likely have chosen other destructive thrills?

eskimo

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
what lazs said
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 10:13:55 AM »
if by changing my past, my present would be different - I will live with the choices I made in the past as I am extremely happy with the present
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 10:16:40 AM »
The way I drink I dont consider it destructive. Im a friendly drunk. The best way for me to drink is stick to beer and...
A.Start early..around noon
B.Eat all day...summer cookout type of thing.
C.Be on your feet doing something...horseshoes, volleyball
D.Drink with friends..who drink like you do(No fun having a sober guy around while yer wasted)
E.About 3 hours before you plan on going home(around 9pm lets say) switch over to water, or atleast alternate.
I can put away a case or better easy on a summer afternoon at a bud's house. And wake up feeling fine.

~AoM~

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Re: what lazs said
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 10:36:23 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
if by changing my past, my present would be different - I will live with the choices I made in the past as I am extremely happy with the present

My wife and I met by pure chance, minor changes in my life might have prevented that chance meeting.  My daughters are exactly who they are because a particular one of my sperm met my wife’s egg at exactly a particular moment.  Had we done our thing even seconds earlier, we could have ended up with completely different children.  I certainly wouldn’t trade my wife or kids for anything.

This is, however, not the point!  Set all of these possibilities aside and look at the question isolated from non-direct effects.  Even if you met your wife while you were high at a party, ignore it and assume the same would have happened.  Even if you were hospitalized after a drunken accident at which time they discovered and removed a tumor that ultimately saved you life, ignore it and assume the same would have happened.  

Just consider the simpler question: is your life probably better from your experiences with drugs and or booze, or probably worse?

eskimo

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 10:38:36 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
The way I drink I dont consider it destructive. Im a friendly drunk. The best way for me to drink is stick to beer and...
A.Start early..around noon
B.Eat all day...summer cookout type of thing.
C.Be on your feet doing something...horseshoes, volleyball
D.Drink with friends..who drink like you do(No fun having a sober guy around while yer wasted)
E.About 3 hours before you plan on going home(around 9pm lets say) switch over to water, or atleast alternate.
I can put away a case or better easy on a summer afternoon at a bud's house. And wake up feeling fine.

Good answer.
Your age?

eskimo

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 10:45:52 AM »
My only regret are those things that I didn't do.

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 10:47:47 AM »
I drink to make other people more interesting.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 10:55:31 AM »
"i don't drink to get drunk...i drink to stop the voices in my head"
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Re: Re: what lazs said
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 10:57:18 AM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Just consider the simpler question: is your life probably better from your experiences with drugs and or booze, or probably worse?

I cannot find a reason why it would be any better without ever drinking. I don't think I've missed anything by drinking occasionally. I can think of many things I would have missed by not drinking, both positive and negative. I think all experince is good. IMO Lizking nailed it.

In case I would have been driving drunk or doing some other stupid things to hurt other people I'd think differently. I cannot think of a reason why I'd feel differently in the future.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 11:00:47 AM by mora »

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 11:02:27 AM »
I wouldn't be the person I am today without some of the mistakes I made in the past. The only substance I would go back and never have used would be cigarettes. They are destructive, foul and have a nasty tendency to kill you.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 11:05:01 AM »
yep.  cigarettes suck...one of those..."what in the hell was i thinking" drugs.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.