Author Topic: Need Some Help...  (Read 579 times)

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Need Some Help...
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:26:37 AM »
Ok, Howie hasn't been straight with everyone, and has a confession to make:

I don't read instruction manuals for the most part, and I am going to be honest when I say that I didn't know there was even a stall limiter setting on this game for the first year that I played it.  :eek:  Now I know that sounds N00Bish, but I can't help it.  Anyways, when I heard that all the cool kids flew without this "stall limiter" I tried it, and I couldn't seem to do it.  Well I just turned it back on and moved on with my life.  Well, I want to rectify the situation, but found I have some problems.  

I was working with Roscoroo in the DA last night, and it seems that he can pull harder than me and manuever at much lower speeds than I'm able to with my stick.  I went into a loop in a spit V, never under 180 mph, and the thing just snap rolls left.  I cannot sustain a small turn with just a little rudder at 160+ without entering a flat spin.  Rosco even said this looks wrong.  I know I'm not pulling hard manuevers, so I need to find the problem.  My stick is calibrated fine, but I'm flying under the default AH stick settings... should that change?  I still use a twisty stick and I'm opposed to rudder pedals at the moment.  

Anyone up for helping me out sometime tomorrow evening?  I'm in central time, and we can duel or go to the TA or whatever.  I just need some stick help or some pointers.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 12:28:37 AM »
I can give you my stick settings,  help,  etc...    At say 10 PM EST?  If you wish..

Edit:  I use a twisty stick aswell.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 09:01:58 AM »
Originally posted by WldThing
I can give you my stick settings,  help,  etc...    At say 10 PM EST?  If you wish..

Edit:  I use a twisty stick aswell.

Sure that would be great.  I'll meet you in the TA if that is alright.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 09:08:57 AM »
Great,  TA it is.

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 09:20:31 AM »
Howie..one thing to check.  I had a similar problem until I went into my joystick set in game.  Go into the setup and move all your axis's slowly and watch the little screen.  Make sure that none of the axis's are spiking in any way. Particularly the rudder axis.  I still cant fly worth a damn with the Combat Trim off, but when I tried and went into snap rolls etc, I knew it was me and not the sytem.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 09:36:34 AM »
Another thing to check is that you do not have force feed back enabled. It used to be enabled by default in AHI, not sure about AHII (but I suspect that that was remedied already), but it is worth checking. It can give you some pretty wild inputs if it is enabled.

Does sound like a stick scaling issue to me though. If that is the case I am sure Wildthing will have you fixed up in no time at all.

Hope this helps a bit at  least.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 12:36:41 PM »
Great advice!  Thanks guys, I will look into that.  It definetely feels like a stick scaling thing to me as well.  I mean I'm really not pushing it hard at all, but when I try any type of turn with a little rudder I just flat spin.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 03:08:13 PM »
Howitzer im getting CTD'd when I load up this new update,  im trying to get HT to try to help me with this..  If I dont get in tonight I probably will tomorrow if your intrested.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 03:24:56 PM »
Wldthng, look for me in the MA then if you make it on, if not its really no hurry.  I can continue flying like I have been without problem.  Thanks again for the help, just give me a yell in the MA when you make it in.  Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 03:32:59 PM »
Originally posted by Howitzer
Great advice!  Thanks guys, I will look into that.  It definetely feels like a stick scaling thing to me as well.  I mean I'm really not pushing it hard at all, but when I try any type of turn with a little rudder I just flat spin.

I have a ms FFB2 twisty, and i have deadband and dampers set fairly high for rudder input - it prevents inadvertant input, i.e. to use rudder becomes a deliberate decision to twist it enough.

however just abt any plane will want to snap on you if you're using all 3 axis in the manuever.  it's all about feel and a light touch.  of course a too sensitive rudder will play havoc with this ability.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 05:22:51 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
I have a ms FFB2 twisty, and i have deadband and dampers set fairly high for rudder input - it prevents inadvertant input, i.e. to use rudder becomes a deliberate decision to twist it enough.

however just abt any plane will want to snap on you if you're using all 3 axis in the manuever.  it's all about feel and a light touch.  of course a too sensitive rudder will play havoc with this ability.

Actually shane, I have the exact same stick.  I tried the light touch, but I just can't maneuver at all that way and I would be dead meat in any fight I entered.  Maybe I am using too many axis on the turns... but geesh even in just a straight turn?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 09:12:22 PM »
well if you have the exact same stick... wanna try my settings?

i only use 2 of the FFB effects, both set around 40%, stall and buffet.

for roll and pitch i have all sliders at 100% (with deadband/dampers set very low - just enough to avoid too easy stick stirring msg)

for rudder... all sliders 100% with damper/deadband both set about 2/3 way up.

i don't think i'm known for being a snap-rolly fish-floppy flyer...

also... it *will* take some time to develop that touch if you just disabled the stall limiter not too long ago. you'll very likely go thru a phase of spins 'o death, but once you get past that you'll find yourself rarely spinning by accident.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 09:17:39 PM by Shane »
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 09:59:43 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
well if you have the exact same stick... wanna try my settings?

i only use 2 of the FFB effects, both set around 40%, stall and buffet.

for roll and pitch i have all sliders at 100% (with deadband/dampers set very low - just enough to avoid too easy stick stirring msg)

for rudder... all sliders 100% with damper/deadband both set about 2/3 way up.

i don't think i'm known for being a snap-rolly fish-floppy flyer...

also... it *will* take some time to develop that touch if you just disabled the stall limiter not too long ago. you'll very likely go thru a phase of spins 'o death, but once you get past that you'll find yourself rarely spinning by accident.

I just re-read, and mine is not a FFB, but it is the microsoft of the same type.  I would like to try your settings if possible.  I'll just omit the FFB ones.  If you have time, would you mind throwing me an email at: ]?  Let me know what you think.  Thanks for the help shane.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:50:10 PM by Howitzer »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Need Some Help...
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 10:03:17 PM »
so you have the precision pro?  not PP2?

PP1 looks exactly like the FFB2 stick...

i pretty much described what my settings are.. 100% sliders on everything (some do a curved scaling ala AKAK's settings) with deadband and damper sliders set very low for pitch and roll, and 2/3 way up for rudder.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Need Some Help...
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 10:23:30 PM »
what was really wierd in Howi's flight path
is as he banked and went thru a horizontal turn  is that all of a sudden his plane would roll back and forth hard then he would fall ..
 I was right on his 6 following along and the airspeed was good (180ish) and he wasnt pulling so hard as to black out or disrupt his flight path
 I could of easily turned within his radius and lapped him on the inside .

It sort of looked like a spiking stick or a dirty potentiomiter  ..
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation