Author Topic: Why are "they" celebrating?  (Read 4955 times)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Why are "they" celebrating?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Toad:
This is our reward for trying to be the "world's policeman."

As I have said here before many times, Washinton's Farewell address was damn good advice.

We are now, and will continue for some time, to pay the price for not heeding it.

damn straight...

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2001, 12:34:00 PM »
Toad,

I have to disagree with you here buddy. Simply ignoring a problem and hoping it won't come to us is not the way to protect our country and interests. Like it or not, the world is a much smaller place tan in Washington's time. Event WILL overtake us whether we want them to or not.

Our interests ARE global. We cannot maintain our country with the assets soley within our borders, or even in this hemisphere. our economy is tied to the rest of te globe on the basis of energy and every other major product you can think of. Remember what happened to the price of computers when that chip factory burned down overseas??

If we act like an ostrich and place our heads in the sand it only means we won't see it coming wehn we are taken out. Forwarned is forarmed, provided you believe the warning and can prepare. Closing our eyes to the rest of the world deletes that possibility.

I agree that being the "worlds policeman" is a damn dirty job and it has risks. Having been a cop I did things no one would want to do, but someon HAD to do them. It can either be us, or someone like bin ladin will absolutely step in and do what the fek they want. We just have to analyze where we NEED to go and what we HAVE to do. This requires careful thought and precise actions on our part as a country.

Ignoring playground bullies only emboldens them. It tells them no one will stop them and they can do what they please. Someone HAS to be the playground monitor. Who do you want it to be, us or someone like hussien/ bin ladin/ kadafy/ arafat or any number of others who by virtue of location and empathy with a population group can influence things on a global scale?

Think, then act.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
well said mav

gw lived in a much different world than we do today

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2001, 08:49:00 PM »
Intervene in the affairs of a sovereign nation WITHOUT a justifiable cause and this is what you get.

We've deployed around the world to "right wrongs" and "support democracy" and all the other buzzwords. These, despite UN good wishes, are NOT justifiable cause.

Fact of the matter is we're dealing primarily with BARBARIANS. We're interfering in the Sovereign Affairs of Barbarian nations. Fools on a more foolish mission.

This is what you get. And you're going to get more of it... and your kids will get more as well... and their kids.

People from all over the world have come here. People that had age old hatreds for others of another race or religion back in their native lands.

By and large, they have been able to put that crap behind them once they found this "special place". Here, the Baptists don't roll tanks down the road to take out the Mormon village after Sunday Services.

Our mistake is thinking that we can extend what is special here back into the places that are the sources of hatred and conflict around the world. After all, people from all those places come here and get along after a fashion, don't they?

Big mistake. The Barbarian nations will never change.

Try to force them with "American might" and you will see a lot more of what you saw on CNN today.

Two choices: 1) Mind our own damn business or 2) kill every stinking one of them.

2 won't happen. Thankfully, we're not that kind of nation; we are not the Barbarians.  Besides, you'd always miss enough of them to continue the "jihad forever".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
["The Americans are cowards. They use other countries to hit us. They don't have the courage to meet us face to face," said Khalil Matar, 43, who works in a state-run soap factory. "The myth of the indestructible United States has gone up in smoke."]

Khalil Matar.  Wants to US Forces to fight and kill him face to face.  Check.  Next?

Scumbags.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2001, 12:26:00 PM »
Toad,

We held back before and what did it get us? Events overtook us anyhow and we were involved in not one but two world wars. Our casualties were far too high in each.

Like it or not, our position has placed us in a spot where we have to do something. Inactivity, as before, will be taken for a sign of weakness. It WILL generate additional attacks and no place will be safe in any country.

I agree with you on the premise that we should expose our troops into areas that effect our national interests. Unfortunately that covers A LOT of territory. Extremism can take many roads from military, terrorism and economic actions to have a severe impact o our nation. To be simply reactive is to allow everyone to have the first shot and cause damage before we can take steps to minimize it.

It's time to be more proactive and enlist all civilized nations in this fight. This isn't a case of the US against the world. This is a case of the world against terrorists. They are on every continent and will have to be dealt with. Now we can deal with them on our terms or theirs. One way has fewer casualties than the other. Either way they will not allow us to live in peace or ignore them.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
As a tree with strong uninjured roots, though cut down, grows up again, so, when deep craving is not rooted out, suffering arises again and again.

-Dhammapada

I say take this terrorist tree out by its roots, just like a bad tooth otherwise the pain will re-0ccur. Either that or someone figure a way to talk sense into the minds of these morons, freakin fanatics. Sorry but I don't see the latter happening in our lifetime..their hatred for us runs way too deep & just getting deeper.

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2001, 12:52:00 PM »
This is a case of the world against terrorists. They are on every continent and will have to be dealt with. Now we can deal with them on our terms or theirs. One way has fewer casualties than the other. Either way they will not allow us to live in peace or ignore them.

Absolutely agree. Terrorist organisations share resources and know-how as a matter of course. It's time to take the bull by the horns and stand up to it.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
They're celebrating because they're too stupid to see past all the ignorant nonsense labels of 'nation', 'country', 'race' or 'religion' and notice that in fact the victims were ordinary human beings (surprisingly like themselves) who they never got to know well enough to hate for any real reason.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
line up another F111 for this guy please:

"Saddam Hussein's Iraq said the United States deserved Tuesday's attacks in New York and Washington as the fruits "of its crimes against humanity."

Under the headline "America burns," the official newspaper Al-Iraq said that "what happened in the United States yesterday is a lesson for all tyrants, oppressors and criminals."

Overnight an official Iraqi statement said: "The American cowboys are reaping the fruit of their crimes against humanity." "

Seems Moammar Gadhafi remembers Reagan's fly over all to well...
 http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/09/12/mideast.reaction/index.html

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler:
As a tree with strong uninjured roots, though cut down, grows up again, so, when deep craving is not rooted out, suffering arises again and again.

-Dhammapada

I say take this terrorist tree out by its roots

i agree with your sentiment on cutting terrorism at the root 100%, but you are using a lesson from the dhammapada to justify vengence and that is way out of context.

it's intended as a lesson about the great buddhist tenet of 'suffering' and extholing the virtues of self control.

it's not at all about killing people to prevent them from causing more harm. it's not your opinion that bugs me, just your use of the dhammapada to back it up - it really goes against those lessons.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
The foe we now face does not attack us due to our "police" actions. They are after us as they see us as the cornor stone of a society that they despise. They see us as "satans" own so to speak thus these attacks.

Isolationism has never worked... our Nation is far too intangled economicaly across the globe to even consider such a policy now. Simply the fact of being the "wealthiest" nation in the world makes us a fat target.

I totaly fail to see how we could of "earned" this. Our actions through out history show a habit of doing what is right to the best of our ablity. We certainly have made mistakes and have had dark moments BUT we are far from the "evil empire" these terrorists scream about. They hate us simply because we are...nothing more. Turning our cheek will only earn thier contempt and more of what happened. We MUST strike back... we must root out all like them and then keep doing so for untold years in the future. The price of terrorism must be made to high...
and now soon I feel that is what is going to begin happening.

xBAT

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: batdog ]
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2001, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrfish:

i agree with your sentiment on cutting terrorism at the root 100%, but you are using a lesson from the dhammapada to justify vengence and that is way out of context.

it's intended as a lesson about the great buddhist tenet of 'suffering' and extholing the virtues of self control.

it's not at all about killing people to prevent them from causing more harm. it's not your opinion that bugs me, just your use of the dhammapada to back it up - it really goes against those lessons.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]

I know mrfish

ironic isn't it, just like life..

<S>

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by batdog:
I totaly fail to see how we could of "earned" this. Our actions through out history show a habit of doing what is right to the best of our ablity. We certainly have made mistakes and have had dark moments BUT we are far from the "evil empire" these terrorists scream about. ...

xBAT

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: batdog ]

Yes, I think you and I and probably MOST Americans would agree with and believe in your statement.

However, right here on this BBS, in this small society, a quick search of some other threads will show that a few or perhaps several American posters would disagree with the above statement.

I think there is ample evidence that more than "several" non-US posters would also disagree with it. These are people that for the most part come from "allied" or at least "friendly" countries with respect to the US.

Therefore, it's clear that not everyone agrees with this view of the US as a benevolent power. Further, it's now clear that there are entities that SERIOUSLY disagree with your sentiment.

It's not a case of sticking our heads in the sand. The US can and will be defended. It's a question more of keeping our noses out of other people's business.

A prime example of this is the US-led, NATO authorized airstrikes on Bosnia. Yes, the Serbs, Croats, Muslims, et al were acting like Barbarians. They ARE Barbarians. That does not give the US authorization to attack them.

There was NO UN MANDATE or AUTHORIZATION for those attacks. There was no "world opinion", no "justification" for that attack.

Despite that irrefutable fact, the US led a massive air attack against a sovereign nation. The fact that other NATO countries joined in doesn't excuse it either. We were ALL wrong.

Had a nation or group of nation's attacked the US because they felt atrocities were being committed here, we'd have been outraged.

This gets back to the thread dealing with US entry into WW2. Like it or not, one Sovereign nation cannot simply attack another without justification under International Law/Law of War and "Just War".

This is the basic underlying truth that caused the United Nations to be formed in the first place. The idea is that we, the countries of the world, must AGREE that force is required and its use authorized by the world community BEFORE any one nation commits warlike acts against another.

The US, "knowing" it is "good" and "right" and "acting in the interests of peace" has all too often acted UNILATERALLY with military force.

Obviously, not everyone agrees that the US is always "good" or "right", etc. The result is retribution by terrorism, their only possibly response against such a huge superpower.

If the US keeps sticking its nose into other nations sovereign affairs, WITHOUT THE EXPRESS DIRECTION OF THE ENTIRE UN and without major participation by numerous other "non-aligned" countries, this terrorism will go on and on. So, we had all better get used to a new and more dangerous way of life.

By "non-aligned" countries, I mean the ones that are not viewed as the "normal" US allies, ones that seldom if ever get involved in International firefights.

For example, I'd think it a significant step forward if the Scandanavian countries handle the next major problem. Sure the US would suppport the operation logistically and monetarily. However, the "bad guys" of the world need to finally see that EVERYONE stands united against them... not just the US.

Otherwise, it's time we just defended our own borders, welcomed the refugees from the Barbarism and waited for the Barbarians to finally kill each other off entirely.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!