Author Topic: Lag spike issues  (Read 161 times)

Offline redviper

• Zinc Member
Lag spike issues
« on: April 14, 2005, 02:09:44 AM »
:confused:
I am having a problem with this game.  The problem is that every couple of minutes the game glitches for about 5 secs or so and this happens about every 5 minutes.  Once it is done glitching though, it returns to running as a normal.  My computer has a amd 64 (3000) running at 2ghz, 1 gig of corsair value ram, and a mx4000 vid card.  I don't think that it is an internet problem becase this doesn't happen to my other online games.  By the way i have broadband internet through a wireless router.  This problem is vary anoying.  Is there anyone out there that can plz help me???

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
Lag spike issues
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 02:43:43 PM »
Your post was a little lacking in detail but I think I understand your complaint. Either you're experiencing the dreaded video stutter where the game freezes for a few seconds periodically or you're having network issues where planes warp around like crazy for a few seconds periodically.

If planes are warping and/or you're getting periodic disconnects try to run ping in the background while you play. If you start having trouble alt-tab out and see if a packet dropped. Skuzzy posted the IP of the server on the sticky connection thread. To keep ping running go to Start->Run and type in 'ping -t ', where is the addr skuzzy posted. You'll see packet loss show up in that ping window if you're experiencing it.

If the game is locking up there are two approaches I know of to deal with the stutter. There was a stutter a few months ago caused by sound cards that required an excessive amount of CPU cycles, as they functioned in a way similar to winmodems. Many people alieviated themselves of this by picking up a PCI soundcard and disabling their on-board one in the BIOS.

Since the last patch I too have been having a bit of trouble with the stutter, and I found that my problems were apparently tied into windows services. Windows doesn't like to play nice (bad pun for *nix geeks) with cpu time, and services runs periodically every few minutes. My stutter was reduced from a near dishabilitating stop to a pesky momentary freeze when I went through and disabled all windows trash I didn't need in services. I think this menu is under Control Panel->Performance and Maintenance, but I dont remember for sure off the top of my head.

Anyway I hope this helps you and the countless other people suffering from the stutters.

-p.