Author Topic: I'm worried that my computer won't be able to handle WW2OL  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
I'm worried that my computer won't be able to handle WW2OL
« on: June 06, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
:(  I really REALLY wanna try ww2ol, but I'm afraid my year old comp won't have the kick to do it. It's a:

Compaq AMD K7 Althon
500 mhz (not over clocked)
128 megs
Voodoo 3 1000 Vid card

do you think it will handle it? I mean I get 45-50 fps average in AH, even with alot of planes on the screen, but it usually drops to 15 in heavy smoke and clouds.

Btw.....can anyone splain to me how to overclock a comp?  :)
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
No, it won't.  Not if you're going to try to fly.

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2001, 02:44:00 PM »
I don't know about the vid card...even tho 128 RAM is listed as the min, you may want to consider 256.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2001, 02:46:00 PM »
Maybe you should go to the ww2ol forum and ask there. Last time I checked this was the AH BBS.    :p

Mav

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Maverick ]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
Instead of plugging your gear into a 110volt outlet try using one labelled 220volt. That should give your computer an appreciable boost. If you do not notice the differnce emmediately, well..... you're blind and have no sense of smell
 Just don't forget to plug the clothes dryer back in when you shut the PC off when you're done.

Dr Rufus Westyheimer

(p.s.  why not ask on thier boards? It's like the guys trying AH out and asking how to fix a problem on thier boards. Not that you can't her of course. Just seems more help would be there for you)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
Beef,

As a MINIMUM first thing to do, bump your RAM to 256. 512 would be even better.

If that doesn't hack it, you're going to have to boost the CPU.

...and I KNOW what I'm talking about here.   ;)

I'm running an O/C Celeron at 850 w/256 and a GeForce2 STS. For my personal standards of play/framerate this was a miminally acceptable system.

Try the RAM first though. No matter what CPU you end up with you'll need at least 256 IMO.

Good luck!

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
Beef... PIII-600, 256Mb PC133 SDRAM, Geforce 2MX. Point it at the online action... 5-15fps flying. Now we all know doubling cpu speed doesn't double framerates, so I think you can figure the rest out.

Oh, BTW, that was 1024x768 @ 16 bit.

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2001, 03:25:00 PM »
The real issue is going to be your connect...and I'm not talking about  playing it. I'm talking about patch download.

There's already a mandatory 60mb patch. If you don't have DSL or cable you're looking at a monumental download.

And I can't get DSL or Cable unless I move, and even my dialup can't get above 26.4

I have a strong suspicion that there are going to be 20mb+ mandatory patches on a very regular basis.

To be honest, they should put "broadband" in the official "recommended" requirements and leave the minimum at 56K, but we all know they'd never even dream of doing that, for marketing purposes.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2001, 04:56:00 PM »
Yeah... the 56K hurts. I'm on the closed beta. It takes hours to download so I typically start the download before I go to bed.

cheers
sand

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Sandman_SBM ]
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »
Hate to report this but...

Just played it again online and my frames were pretty much unacceptable for _air_ combat. (I hadn't played it for the last 3-4 updates; was out of town.)

I could no longer honestly say my system is good enough.    :(

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
I'm begining to think the CRS guys should have flagged the air combat like the naval stuff and polished up the land side first.

I wish I wish WWIIOL would succeed coz it'd be my dream come true. But... reality can be nasty.

On the bright side there were 302 people logged in a few minutes ago.

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2001, 05:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Toad:
Hate to report this but...

Just played it again online and my frames were pretty much unacceptable for _air_ combat. (I hadn't played it for the last 3-4 updates; was out of town.)

I could no longer honestly say my system is good enough.    :(

HOLY COW!

That combined with a modem connection DEFINITLY counts me out of it.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2001, 06:25:00 PM »
Yeah main problem is when you get near other players the framerate goes through the floor. Some people are rattling the cage and saying you now need 512Mb of RAM. Seems a bit excessive to me.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2001, 08:15:00 PM »
ok.  Here's my view:
It works fine with 384 megs.  256 probly is ok.  But with 128, you're not going to be doing any flying that's fun, due to HD thrashing.
As for FPS, well, it all depends.  THink of AH.  Normally, you're flying with maybe 5 other vehicles in the visible area.
Now think of WW2OL.  THere are areas of sparse battle, then there are the "hot spots."  Imagine a combined-arms fight over a town with 100 vehicles and troopers slugging it out, destroyed buildings, smoke and the rest.  That's cool as all hell, and a helluva lot of fun to be in, but if you're trying to fly a plane, you better have one sweet rig.

If you go for areas of medium activity, you can find decent FRs. Not great, but decent.

On the bright side, there are things that CRS can do to improve FR and reduce HD thrashing, and no doubt they will.  So it only gets better.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Dinger ]