Author Topic: I'm worried that my computer won't be able to handle WW2OL  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
I'm worried that my computer won't be able to handle WW2OL
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2001, 08:49:00 PM »
Actually Dinger the situation I was thinking of would have had barely 12 people in the area total.

The framerate was fine until the combat zone was reached. There was no hard drive thrashing going on - the framerate just dropped through the floor.

I've been in much more densely populated combat situations in AH without such hits.

Don't get me wrong. Jumping on the back of an A13 to get a lift to the frontline was absolutely awesome.

The issue is I have truckloads of other software with much better and busier graphics (DF3, Falcon 4) that don't take these framerate hits. My guess is its the graphics engine waiting for server updates. But I don't really know anything cept my PC dishes out toejam hot graphics elsewhere without these problems.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2001, 09:05:00 PM »
well I guess I'll have to wait....I'll save my money and buy me somemore ram and maybe a new vid card. it sucks that if I want to play this game that I have to revamp my system. maybe by the time I get some ram and stuff, WW2ol will have the bugs squashed and the game will be better
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2001, 10:14:00 PM »
Well, Beef, if it's any consolation you are not alone.

I guess I'll start looking around tomorrow at upgrade stuff.    :(

Vulcan, that has been my experience as well. Frames are usable, not great, until I encounter even a few other aircraft.

It was actually screen-locking for a few seconds when I was in a flight of about 8 spits above the cloud deck.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
That is bad news indeed.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2001, 09:42:00 AM »
wonder what the legalities are in marketing the "patches" ??

:)

SASE and $19.95 - the latest patch is headed ur way - no guarantees it'll work any better than before the patch but I'm up $20  :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
Vulcan, after you got to the front line how was the game besides FR drop?

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
I have a PIII 600 and a Viper V550 and my FRs are usually around 20.  Although I have not been in a battle with more than 3 others yet.  In a tank in a city it sometimes hits 8-10 FPS

Killer recently said:
"I want to see performance up, memory requirements down. It's possible to get more efficiency from what we have but it won't be quick and it wont' be easy. I will have guys dedicated to that task and nothing else as soon as I can."

At least the Rats have their priorities straight.   :)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
Don't try and overclock an AMD CPU.

AMD is allready running near limit of what it can take, if you overclock it there is a chance it will brake, or more likely shut down every now and then cause of heat.

WW2OL is nice but you need a Kick A** computer, I jsut upgraded my RAM to 256 and it takes away the HD Trashing but as long as you're running bellow 600Mhz you won't get many FPS out of it.

I am on a 450Mhz and I just got out from a battle with 0.5-3.5Fps before my crew got killed.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2001, 03:05:00 AM »
Beef,

Buy the game now to support the development of the game, djust dont go online untill you see an patch that fixes the framerate issue...

Thats my suggestion anyway   :)

Edit : of course you can do the troop/tank thing untill the framerates improves...

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: Maniac ]
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2001, 11:28:00 AM »
well I want to buy the game, but it's not in stores around here yet, but when I get it I will most likly want to do tanks as that is what I bought the game for  :)
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
"Topic: I'm worried that my computer won't be able to handle WW2OL"

Well right now it looks more like WW2OL not being able to handle your computer..... or anyone else's for that matter  :mad:

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2001, 12:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbus:
Don't try and overclock an AMD CPU.

AMD is allready running near limit of what it can take, if you overclock it there is a chance it will brake, or more likely shut down every now and then cause of heat.

WW2OL is nice but you need a Kick A** computer, I jsut upgraded my RAM to 256 and it takes away the HD Trashing but as long as you're running bellow 600Mhz you won't get many FPS out of it.

I am on a 450Mhz and I just got out from a battle with 0.5-3.5Fps before my crew got killed.

Uhm hate to break this to you Wilbus, but the new Duron and Thunderbird AMD's are the best overclocking CPU's you can find at present time. With enhanced cooling you're almost guaranteed at least 20% performance increase by overclocking. That is if you didn't happen to get a bad individual cpu.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2001, 03:22:00 AM »
Ok, didn't mean Duron, didn't know about The Thunderbird so thanks for telling me  :)

Wilbus
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Senor_ding_dong

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
There working on the FPS Issue. Just give it about 2 weeks. Its also becuase of the servers. Im buying game on monday but i wont go online untill servers are fixed.

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2001, 04:10:00 PM »
Like ding dong says, most people no matter their system are having fps problems.  I'm sure once the server/connect issues are stabilized that this is the next hot issue.  I would hold off on any major system upgrades for a few weeks.

bowser