Author Topic: For all those of you who defend death penalty:  (Read 2486 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
For all those of you who defend death penalty:
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
Ammo, I gotta hand it to ya, some of the quotes that are in the bible are downright powerful  :).

Proverbs 11 has one of me favs:

A kindhearted woman gains respect, but ruthless men gain only wealth.

I take it you've found the online bible at  http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible

It's excellent, particularly for a disbeliever like me  :)

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2001, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by MrBill:

"For those of you that take your morals from the Bible, a source I don't defer to very much at all, here's one of the Ten
Commandments: Thou shalt not kill. I add another word to the end of that one, myself.
                        "Ever."
---------------------------------------------

I have never read that in any bible? In all the versions I HAVE read the quote is
"thou shalt not murder"  
I really can't see "god" putting a species on earth that MUST eat to survive and then commanding them not to kill anything!    :eek:

Of course if we are rewriting history I guess the bible qualifys.

To those who are of a moral Christian religious persuasion opposed to the DP.
Where would Christianity be if Christ got 1 to 5 with time off for good behavior?    :D

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: MrBill ]

Well, we are both equally uninformed then. I have never read a bible in which that particular commandment read "murder."

And no, I don't expect that we can live and not kill anything. Hell, I'm not exactly a vegetarian, myself. But when it comes to our fellow human beings, killing should be avoided at any cost - so long as that is not greater than what is being bought. In other words... Kosovo did not have to be fought. But would it have been better to allow "ethnic cleansing" to continue? This is an important question.

So the best way to deal with these scum is to lock them up and never let them see the light of day, IMO. That can be a worse sentence anyway.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2001, 08:50:00 AM »
Off with their heads!!!!

:)

I mainly dont get involved with such topics,  but if someone were to murder or attempt to murder any part of my family, I would do my best to ensure they would never breath again.

Then let the courts get me a trial.

What is that old code? "An eye for an eye!"

Humbaraurri or something like that.
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2001, 11:28:00 AM »
ispar

I am not quoting your previous post in the interest of space.
I do agree on your comments on Kosovo! But then that's politics'  :eek:
The link posted by St Santa is kinda neat I cruised it a bit an was again amazed at the differences in passages depending on the version and religious bias.
I really do not expect you to do so, (mainly because it is a lot of time consuming work) but just in case you WOULD like to see for yourself and not take ANYONE else's interpretation of passages you could go here. http://www.biblicalhebrew.com/index.htm

After Exodus "god" came to the rules in Leviticus (many of these are not exact I just copied em from a general source)                
24:16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death.

25:17 And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.

24:18 And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.

24:19 And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him; 24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.

24:21 And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.

24:22 Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God.

Kinda bloody after commanding "Thou shalt not kill" doncha think ;)
I think 24:16 would pretty much depopulate the earth.  :)

You believe we should lock em up, I believe we should save a lot of time and expense, we both can point to "god" (and many other sources) to "support" our beliefs.  It all makes for a good pastime to debate the issue, but in the end I suppose that we will all find the truth of the matter.  
I do also suspect that it will then be to late.  :D
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Sachs

• Nickel Member
      • http://where?
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2001, 12:22:00 PM »
Looks around see's a switch,
flips the switch, knocks california offline for another 2 hours.  Ah sweet justice, tag em and bag em.  Less tax money we have to spend on these chumps in prison.  I am all for death sentences and I think they should be made public for us to view.  Better yet, have them fight it out, whoever lives gets to fight next week, but in the end you will die for your crimes.  

Ciao AG