Author Topic: next scenario  (Read 6824 times)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
next scenario
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2005, 05:10:39 PM »
Originally posted by ROCrats
SKJohn,

I'm working on one to present to the CM team that is just that.

I'm looking at a long flight from England to Russia, with a delivery on Germany in route.  Then, the return flight next frame, bombing again, returning to England.

Still a way to go on it, but that is the premise.

There are some Very good Euro Bomber missions ahead for us all :)

Wow - I must be in tune with ESP or something!

Jordi - sorry, but I missed that one.  I've been doing AH for 1 year now, and the first 6 months had no clue what a "scenario" or special events area was.  I thought the "SEA" was something just for navy fighters.
That leads me to thinking that there are probably a lot of new players now that are in the same boat I was a year ago.  Maybe something should be done to increase the awareness of the scenarios - not only that they exist, but how to get to them, etc......?

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
next scenario
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2005, 05:21:43 PM »
Originally posted by SKJohn
Wow - I must be in tune with ESP or something!

Jordi - sorry, but I missed that one.  I've been doing AH for 1 year now, and the first 6 months had no clue what a "scenario" or special events area was.  I thought the "SEA" was something just for navy fighters.
That leads me to thinking that there are probably a lot of new players now that are in the same boat I was a year ago.  Maybe something should be done to increase the awareness of the scenarios - not only that they exist, but how to get to them, etc......?

Trust me - we have tried many  a ways to get the word out !

The problem is maybe 90% of the paying cusotmers never come to the forums - and that is where most of the talk is about current and cup coming special events.

Now if HTC had an automatic email list that new people get signed up to and they get sent maybe monthly emails about what is happeneing and the player would have to opt-out of that list we might get more people interested and in the know about the events.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 09:28:08 AM by jordi »
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
next scenario
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2005, 12:26:32 AM »

Commitment to making the frames enjoyable to more individuals than just yourself is the philosophy that everyone needs to take.  A scenario doesn't have the "all about me" feel, which is why they are appealing in the first place.

Other than the TA, my first online flight was in a scenario on MACAW years ago now!

My 3rd flight in AW3 was a scenario. I hadn't fully set up my stick yet, and it took a few minutes to figure out the way point thing.. I did get a couple kills though, and violated the rules by grabbing a second plane.. Something back in my cranium says Culero was involved in that one.. I was a walk-on.. Midway.. I think.. circa 1999..

Since then, Scenarios have been one reason I stick around. Scenarios have been a source of unending discovery for me!

My outlook is that it gives you a chance to learn a plane that you may not pick up in the MA because it's likely a deathtrap and won't help your score. In a scenario, there are few planes to choose from, and expanding you palate is part of it, for me.

Without my experiences in scenarios, I never would have flown an ME110, TBM, 190F8, B-17, JU88, Spit1, F4F, F6F, F4U,  La5/7 and YAK9.

Any day, in the MA, I'll take a  ME110, TBM, 190F8, B-17, JU88, Spit1, F4F, F6F, F4U, La5/7 and YAK9. I love those planes, and will happily run their strengths I've learned in scenarios :aok

SALUTE!

Newman

Who would like to see a scenario that includes a bit of ground attack planes, like the P47, 190F8, 110, IL2,  or Typhoon..
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
next scenario
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2005, 12:44:13 AM »
It also helps if people talk about scenarios (especially when they are ready for sign up) in the main arena.  If each squad had some folks who love scenarios, that would help a lot -- they would help get the word out.

It is amazing to me that there are squads out there that don't know what a scenario is.  We need to talk it up -- recruit people into the awesome world of scenarios.

I have a web site geared toward promoting scenarios (lots of screen shots, AAR's, descriptions of what scenarios are like, and so on).  People can feel free to use it as a promotional tool.  It's at http://www.electraforge.com/scenarios

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
next scenario
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2005, 01:02:13 AM »
Hey Brooke..

I'm ready for an official declaration of Zulu surrender to be signed at the Bremerton Naval Ship Yard..

Might add a new dimention to it all.. as much as I hate to be on the loosing end of ANY scenario :(

I've got a gig this weekend, but I'm open next. Let's talk amongst ourselves ;)

SALUTE!

Newman
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline afool

• Zinc Member
next scenario
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2005, 06:57:18 AM »
Originally posted by Schaden
Europe would be good - perhaps 1942/43 either Dieppe or perhaps Salerno/Italy....Jugs P38's 190's and G2's G6's

I did a Dieppe outline once upon a time. I have it stashed in a newsgroup somewhere.
Typhoons -vs- 190's,
LV's storming the beach, panzers defending,
etc...

afool

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
next scenario
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2005, 10:00:47 AM »
How about this for MA Exposure, let's do it, in the MA  :)

(Points to Newman)  He brought it up :)

I'm ready for an official declaration of Zulu surrender to be signed at the Bremerton Naval Ship Yard..
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
next scenario
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2005, 11:12:23 PM »
Actually, Brooke and I had spoke about meeting up at the Bremerton Ship Yard a while ago.

Just before we ended up on opposite sides of a scenario.

ROC, I don't think the MA cats would understand what's going on, and would try killing all of us in search of a few extra perkies  ;)

SALUTE!

Newman
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 11:48:38 PM by Newman »
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
next scenario
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2005, 11:17:58 PM »
That really would be fun.

I haven't been to Seattle area in Years!
ROC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
next scenario
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2005, 01:35:08 AM »
Newman, that sounds great!  I'll send you some e-mail.

Well, ROC, you are welcome to stay at my place in the Seattle area if ever you visit.  We've got a couple spare bedrooms.  Newman and the 327th folks all have an open invitation, too.

One thing of interest in the Seattle area coming up, in late June through early July, the Collings Foundation B-24 and B-17 will be at various locations around the area.  For a small fee, they let you crawl around inside anywhere you want to go.  For $400, you can get a 30 minute ride in either (where they let you go all around inside it during flight).  Definitely awesome to tour the skies of Seattle in the world's only remaining flying B-24.  The planes are at the Museum of Flight near Seattle July 1-5.

Offline CPorky

• Copper Member
next scenario
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2005, 06:02:01 AM »
I think one of the problems is the same problem that is prevelent in the MA; scoring. Once a single side begins to fall in the scoring process (or get stuck in rides they don't like because of it or rules changes during the scenario) the individuals involved don't log on.

Scenarios need to move away from the scoring process and encourage the player to fall into 'the role' and enjoy the enviornment.

People need stories to promote this role, like the write ups we did after most of the old scenarios to keep them interested. Otherwise, its just a bigger MA mission with fewer different types of aircraft involved.

Originally posted by jordi
On average for MOST AH Scenarios you start out with a bunch of people on Frame #1 and each following frame the total # of pilots including walkons gets smaller and smaller.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
next scenario
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2005, 08:15:02 AM »
I have to agree with CPorky.

Scenarios dont need scooring. They do need objectives that need to be completed but they dont need to generate scores.

Scenarios should have supplies that carry over between frames. The number of planes should be set at forhand for the entire scenario and max number per frame should be set.

So say that each side has 50 Fighters and 30 bombers for the scenario and can use 20/10 per frame. If the side looses 15 fighters and 8 bombers in one frame then it has 35 fighters and 22 bombers for the remaining frames.

That and complete or not complete on objeectives is enough.

Tex

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
next scenario
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2005, 09:03:19 AM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
I have to agree with CPorky.

Scenarios dont need scooring. They do need objectives that need to be completed but they dont need to generate scores.

Scenarios should have supplies that carry over between frames. The number of planes should be set at forhand for the entire scenario and max number per frame should be set.

So say that each side has 50 Fighters and 30 bombers for the scenario and can use 20/10 per frame. If the side looses 15 fighters and 8 bombers in one frame then it has 35 fighters and 22 bombers for the remaining frames.

That and complete or not complete on objeectives is enough.

Tex
It’s more complicated then that.  Call me maJoe.  You just told me that if I signed up for fighters, I could be one of 15 guys not flying the second frame.  Not only that but my side was whipped last frame and now we suffer an even greater handicap.  maJoe won't be coming back, ever.

The trick is to make it fun whether your side is winning or loosing so you want to come back each frame, that’s why the players should always have their rides.

One thing I liked in Coral Sea, was the extra rides in the hanger to make up for missing participants.  That was a new element that could be used to balance team numbers when people don’t show up and encourage players to come back in the later frames with a chance of getting extra rides.  I wish we had some automatic way of tracking it to help prevent rules violations during a frame.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
next scenario
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2005, 10:55:59 AM »
Sorry to hijack this thread but Brooke brought it up first!

If you like bombers and have the money, if you EVER get a chance to ride in one you must do it!

I had a ride in 2001, my descriptive post is here.

I posted pictures in this thread  but don't waste your time there...the links are dead and after so many new hard drives I'm going to have to dig up the pictures and re-scan them.

It was SO COOL and definitely the flight of a lifetime.

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
next scenario
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »
End of June is my Grandmothers 89th Birthday, and I might just go to Portland for a few days.

Hmm....
ROC