Author Topic: Realism Vs. Trees  (Read 299 times)

Offline Razor 479th

• Zinc Member
Realism Vs. Trees
« on: May 08, 2005, 02:11:13 AM »
I'm hoping someone here can help me understand the trees at the end of the runway.

It seems, rightfully, much effort is made to make the realism in the game the best it can be.  This is why I do not understand why tall trees are near the runway ends at so many fields.  I can't imagine that any air base commander would have allowed for such a thing.  I'm certain he would have ordered them cut down in order to improve safty.  It seems in the name of realism we should not have trees so close to airfields.

I was landing tonight when a tree at the end of the runway nailed me.  With my slower computer I do not have the luxary of being able to see trees until I'm quite close to them.

Thought?

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Realism Vs. Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 02:31:07 AM »
I have been there, landing and find one tree right in front of the runway.  I think we need a Jeep and a chainsaw to clean up these fields :)

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Realism Vs. Trees
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 03:05:44 AM »
I really don't care one way or another about realism personally, but these trees at the ends of runways are t3h suck... I caught an invisible one on landing tonight and just popped right back to tower dumping my 5 kills in a squirrel's nest off of a75.  

Any chance we can sanction someone to clean up the maps of these killer redwoods?

Offline Kegger26

• Nickel Member
Realism Vs. Trees
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 03:22:22 AM »
Like what has been said before. If HTC cant do trees right. Then they need to be removed untill they can. Two hundred foot high and 50 foot in diameter trees are just silly. More so when they sit right on the threshold of a runway.

-Keg.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Realism Vs. Trees
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 03:33:48 AM »
Trees

Pros:

* the density of the forest has greatly increased the dangers and intensity of low-level flying. More than a few occasions I've been punished (and rightfully so) for attempting unwise, super low level flights.

* looks great. The feeling of 'canopy lines', as compared to terrains without trees, is a definate improvement.

* bombs now fall through the canopy.

Cons:

* California Redwoods? Sequoyas?

* Some people are experiencing frame drops(although my old machine has no such problems whatsoever..)

* A lot of misplaced trees. Especially too close to the runway.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Realism Vs. Trees
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 04:02:51 AM »
Maybe with a few tree's you guys will learn how to use a forward slip to land - a useful skill if you need to get down quick and on a short runway. Only time u will have trouble will be when flying a hair dryer and need a 10 mile final to slow down to clear the obstacle.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
Realism Vs. Trees
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 04:45:15 AM »
It seems, rightfully, much effort is made to make the realism in the game the best it can be.

:rofl  this is a game get used to it.