Author Topic: For the P38 fanatics....  (Read 566 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
For the P38 fanatics....
« on: June 03, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »
Just checking to see if anyone else sees anything interesting in this photo of a 370th FG P38.  It was lost on October 18, 1944.

Anything in the image stand out that would tell you anything about this 38 and why it might be somewhat amazing it was still in combat in October 44?

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
For the P38 fanatics....
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 04:09:59 PM »
G-model, I think I see the armor glass plate in the cockpit. That and the intake scoops.

Hey, if it aint broke, why replace it? :D
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
For the P38 fanatics....
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 04:21:34 PM »
Originally posted by Tails
G-model, I think I see the armor glass plate in the cockpit. That and the intake scoops.

Hey, if it aint broke, why replace it? :D

Definately NOT a G model.  No G's flying combat in the ETO.

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
For the P38 fanatics....
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 05:42:36 PM »
Another Arkansas P-38?

This is interesting.........
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline Jnuk

• Copper Member
For the P38 fanatics....
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 05:45:46 PM »
how bout a hint?
 i would say its a j model myself.
i did a little looking for arkansas traveler and didnt find any more pictures of this particular one, though there was apparently another one in the 367th

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
For the P38 fanatics....
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 05:52:25 PM »
It's a very early J model, judging by the fact that while it has the intercoolers in the cowls, it also has a curved non armored windscreen with the plate of armor glass inside the cockpit.

By the way Dan, the other night I was talking about Bill Capron, a P-38 pilot with the 474th FG, and the member of that group who helped with the research for their website. I have not gotten email from Bill in a few weeks, and now a message I sent him returned with a permanent fatal error. It's never good when that happens.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
For the P38 fanatics....
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 06:05:48 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
It's a very early J model, judging by the fact that while it has the intercoolers in the cowls, it also has a curved non armored windscreen with the plate of armor glass inside the cockpit.

By the way Dan, the other night I was talking about Bill Capron, a P-38 pilot with the 474th FG, and the member of that group who helped with the research for their website. I have not gotten email from Bill in a few weeks, and now a message I sent him returned with a permanent fatal error. It's never good when that happens.

Sorry to hear about the 474th guy :(  Hope it's just an e-mail glitch

Yep it's an early J-10.  The internal armor glass was added in the J-10 series.

That an early J-10 was still in combat in October 44 is amazing to me, yet photos in the 370th history show a number of them still soldiering on into the Battle of the Bulge time frame when they had been introduced almost a year earlier.

Keep in mind the J-25s and Ls with the power assisted controls and dive flaps had been introduced in the early fall of 44 so this was a real long time combat vet. and was not one with all the bells and whistles of the J-25 and L.

Most of these J-10s were gone by this time.

And it really surprised me to see that curved windscreen and seperate armor glass ala the early 38 style on a J that late in the war.

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters