Author Topic: Perhaps shallows to prevent CV flacking fields?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
Perhaps shallows to prevent CV flacking fields?
« on: January 16, 2001, 09:20:00 PM »
What does everyone think?  Maybe we should not allow CVs to get too close to shore.  Its really great having them in the game, but having them pull up along a coastline is bad, having them com ashore is insane (yes Ive got a pic of a CV onshore...the fleet around it was actually IN the base at one point!)

Just an idea
 http://home.tampabay.rr.com/strategy/cvonshore.jpg

PakRat

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2001, 09:44:00 PM »
I disagree. The fleets getting so close to the fields is just a function of the current terrain and the fields being close to shore.

Like everything else, it is just a part of the sim. Now CV groups going ashore is a different story and would certainly appear to be a bug that ought to be fixed.

------------------
Rape, pillage, then burn...

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2001, 12:05:00 AM »
Shore Battery's, could use the same 8" turret we have now only mounted on a concrete bunker. Make em tough to kill (like a hanger, 3k of bombs) One 8" and 2 5" battery's would certainly keep any fleet out of range as well as keeping low jabo types hopping.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2001, 07:58:00 AM »
HT said last night it was fixed and in the next patch. No more ships coming on shore.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2001, 08:33:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ghosth:
Shore Battery's, could use the same 8" turret we have now only mounted on a concrete bunker. Make em tough to kill (like a hanger, 3k of bombs) One 8" and 2 5" battery's would certainly keep any fleet out of range as well as keeping low jabo types hopping.

Fixed, pointing towards the sea with say a 45 degree swing placed in front of the VH. That way they would not be an issue during a capture.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2001, 08:52:00 AM »
Mines and mine sweepers !  

-Westy

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
2Late4U I've  got something even better, I filmed the whole thing when TG 13 went aground at A9 or whatever base it happened at...(at school so I can't review the film   ) Anyway it was fun, wish I was in the 40mm when we got that close.  
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
I'm not big on the whole representation of the fleet in this game at all.  It seems much of time both Japan and the US were trying to hide their fleets.  I wonder how many times they parked a carrier 1 mile of the coast for bombardments.

Unrealistic sitautions require unrealistic solutions.  How about if flack simply doesn't pass over a coast line.

AKDejaVu

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
I vote for shore batteries.  Partial solution to the fleet field defense issue....and something new to do.  
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

OTTO 111th Fighter Group

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2001, 11:27:00 AM »
Shore Batteries  

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2001, 11:50:00 AM »

Originally posted by Westy:
Mines and mine sweepers !    

-Westy

Now there's an idea! The PT's could lay them. I always thought the Fw 200 Condor was a pretty plane. Also a good reason to introduce some sea planes. The Catalina could lay mines. The thing about shore batteries is they would just be bombed along with the flack prior to taking the base. You would have to introduce something that had a range of 20k yrds I would think to be of any good. That would at least hold the fleet back tell they got bombs on the shore batteries. The US 240mm Howitzer M1 had a traverse of 45 degrees and a range of 25,000yrd+. The German 240mm Kanone 3 would be great. It had a traverse of 360 degrees and a range of 41,000yrd+. Or how about the 355mm Haubitze M.1. Taverse of 360 degrees and a range of 22,800yrds.

[This message has been edited by Jimdandy (edited 01-18-2001).]