Author Topic: Tactics for Newbies  (Read 766 times)

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Tactics for Newbies
« on: February 23, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Aces High (AH) Main Arena tactics for newbies.  This is a compilation of some lessons learned, some of them the hard way, which I feel will help newbies be more successful in a shorter time at Aces High. This compilation is not meant to be all inclusive but are major ones that I've found have helped me improve dramatically (i.e. more kills and fewer deaths) over a short time.  Of course knowledge of basic air combat maneuvers is necessary.  Volumes have been written on air-to-air dogfighting tactics and I chose not to go into these here.  There are other people far better qualified than I am regarding that subject.  The same goes for e-retention or energy management tactics.  The tactics below are meant to establish sound engagement fundamentals and in some cases give specific tips for certain attacks:

Know thyself, know thy enemy - It is imperative that you know the performance capabilities of your own airplane as well as your opponent's.  Does my airplane turn better or not?  Is if faster than my opponent's or not?  Can it climb quicker, or not?  This is paramount in forming an engagement strategy.  Take the time to fly different airplanes even in the training arena (including bombers) to better understand their strengths/weaknesses to capitalize on in a fight.  It will be time well spent.  Also look online at the published AH speed and time-to-climb charts to get a feel for comparative performance.  This is absolutely essential towards success in air-to-air combat.

Situational Awareness - Don't assume because the radar doesn't show any red dots nearby that you're ok.  I've found it to be a good indicator only.  Constantly check your views and at times do clearing turns to check your low 6 o'clock position.  If you see a dot in the distance which isn't positively identified as a friendly green dot on radar, odds are it's an enemy plane.  Knowing what enemy planes are where at ALL times is critical to staying alive.  It's the enemy plane you DON'T see which often is the one that shoots you down.  Cycle thru your views every 30 seconds or so, more if you're engaged in a furball with lots of enemy planes. I can't stress this enough.

Strength in numbers - If possible, always look to engage when you have the greater numbers.  The general level of pilot ability in AH is fairly high. Going against odds greater than 1:1 reduces your probability of survival dramatically even for good pilots.

Get high, stay high - ALWAYS look to have the altitude advantage or at least a co-altitude situation when engaging.  I have on occasion engaged 4-5 enemy aircraft while alone if I have the altitude advantage, as I'm able to dive and attack then climb back up to a safe altitude.  At times where I've gone 1-on-1 where I'm at the lower altitude I've more often than not lost the fight.  Altitude also gives you a way out to disengage from the fight by diving away from your attacker.  If your field is under attack, circle over your field for friendly ack support until a good altitude is attained or fly AWAY from the enemy while climbing to reduce the closure rate and allow you time to gain precious altitude.  If you're outnumbered AND low, my suggestion is to disengage immediately and look to re-engage when you have the advantage.  This is a situation where the odds are heavily stacked against you.  Why put yourself in a losing situation?

Don't go there - Avoid fleet (CV) and field ack.  Don't be tempted to chase an enemy plane into fleet or field ack.  Let them go.  The odds are high you'll get shot down.  This is especially true for fleet ack which is far greater in numbers and seemingly more accurate in AH.  If you're attacking a field to overtake it, attack in numbers, don't go solo.  This will reduce the number of ack guns firing at you and increase your odds considerably.

Speed is Life - This is the fighter pilot's credo.  This allows you to engage or disengage from a fight at your discretion.  Flying the faster airplanes like the BF109-G10, Typhoon and P-51D are a good start.  But, remember to keep the altitude advantage if at all possible.  Don't fall into the trap of getting low and slow in these airplanes or any airplane for that matter.  Even a slower, better turning airplane at a higher altitude can dive on you gaining speed, closing the gap and engage with a high chance of successfully shooting you down.  If you know you're outclassed or out-gunned, use your superior speed to run away and look to re-engage when you have the advantage.

Don't get low and slow - i.e. slow speed and low altitude.  This usually ends up in a quick death (refer back to Get High, Stay High and speed is life rules)  More than one pilot will be happy to pounce on you when you're in that situation.  I don't know how many "conga" lines I've seen of 3, 4 or more airplanes lined up chasing someone who's gotten low and slow.  From there, it's only a matter of time before you're shot down.

Attacking Ground Vehicles (GV) - The tactic with the highest odds of survival when attacking GVs is to wait until they're firing at someone else!  They can't fire at 2 targets at once so you KNOW they're not aiming are you.  If they're NOT firing at someone else there's no guarantee they don't already have a bead on you if you're the closest target.  I've found going head-on with a GV on a strafing or rocket attack to usually be disastrous this way unless you're dropping a bomb from a relatively comfortable distance (greater than 1.5d).

Attacking Bombers - Do NOT attack from the 6-o'clock position.  This is usually a suicide approach unless the pilot is asleep and sometimes you don't know that until it's too late.  Use slashing attacks from above, or at the 4, 8, 10 and 2 o'clock positions where tail and nose guns may not have the angle.  Aim for the nose or slightly ahead to "lead" the target and they'll fly right thru the steam of shells.  If possible, concentrate your fire at the weak wing or engine roots to take off a wing.  Look to team up against the bomber if at all possible.  While your countryman is drawing fire with his attack or feint, you'll have a relatively risk free approach.  Also, try to engage the bomber RIGHT before it's over the target and ready to drop bombs.  The pilot has flown all that way to bomb and will more likely be busy in the bombardier position and can't fire back.  If nothing else it may divert or distract them enough to not drop their bombs.  Another tactic is to shadow them after their initial run and wait for them to turn back for another pass.  Typically, most bomber missions will not drop their entire bomb load on a single run and will require at least 2 or more passes over the target.  Wait until they're turning when you know the pilot is at the controls and not manning a gun.  Then attack.  Most important with bomber attacks is to BE PATIENT and set up your attack.

And, Practice, practice, practice…

Good luck.  SpitLead out!

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Tactics for Newbies
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2001, 04:09:00 PM »
New AH players should go to the Help forum and try a search on "Tips" or other key words like that.  I know that many, including myself have posted help there for people trying to start out.

SpitLead, just wanted to point out that speed and alt aren't always good for all planes.  Planes like the N1K and Zero, specifically, don't perform well in the same zone as things like the P-51.  N1K's don't like to fight very high since they seem to run outta power, and Zero's don't like a fast fight because the controls become really heavy/ineffective.  It's important to know you plane, not just stick to a general rule like "Speed and Alt are Good".  It really depends on what you are flying at the time.

-Soda
The Assassins

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Tactics for Newbies
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2001, 04:33:00 PM »
Soda, you are absolutely correct.  I specifically tried to avoid looking at particular airplane characteristics. Again, these were intended to be more general tactics.  

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this but hadn't seen anything related to "newbie" tactics in AH anywhere else so I just dropped it here.  Some of this are tips I've captured from various threads I've read on the BB. At least it's a single message to get tips rather than searching the various forums.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Tactics for Newbies
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2001, 06:28:00 PM »
well if someone is very new those are great rules - they really sum up many of the main tactical points - learning what plane is right for what situation takes time and falls into the points for style category - these tips are perfect for someone entering the game - good reminder for those of us who aren't new but still get slaughtered mercilessly as well