Author Topic: KOTH altitude enforcment  (Read 3261 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 03:51:46 PM »
Yep, it's been a long time since we had seperate cruise and max altitudes. I honestly didn't notice any change in the 6k or 8k alt cap.
Of course I was dying pretty soon when I did choose to fly a round.
And I officially say it did not 'suck' for me.
That shoots down the incorrect statement of "8k worked great for years, 6k so far this time really sucked for all envolved." Looking at the previous posts again I actually see 2 for 6k and 1 against. Lute's vote and mine make it 4-1, even though it's your opinion and not ours that will deceide it.
Anytime you say 'all' 'nobody' 'never' or 'always' you pretty much shoot your self in the foot. There is usually an exception.
I only notice one person really whining about the 6k altitude, Valkyre1. I do see others offering opinioins or suggestions on it.
I also think someone in the H2H arenas has a KOTH type event, maybe you should try that.
http://www.flyaceshigh.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151062
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Jish102

• Copper Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005, 04:16:36 PM »
Like I said before I believe 6k is the PERFECT alt for KoTH. Valkyrie if you think many whine about the 6k cap more than the 8k cap, where have you been? I also like to b/z sometimes, but I am mostly a t/b pilot, and I believe there are more t/b'rs in KoTH than b/z'rs, therefore giving a little more action to t/b pilots, but not taking anything away from b/z pilots.

If you like to climb straight up on the merge, fly 1 or 2ks below the cap and pull up under the enemy, they will not have many options but to turn if you have enough speed. If you can't do that, maybe you should touch up on your t/b skills.
MA: Irish
71 Sqn

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »
I don't have any complaints now that I know there is no cruise alt and just the max. Like I said I haven't read the rules in years. I just showed up for 5 or 6 rounds then left after an hour or so. Just assumed that the rules remained constant. Message traffic to me didn't look like it had changed so I thought the rules haden't either. My mistake.

Vlkyrie1

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 09:53:30 PM »
open apology to Vlkyrie1,  I invisioned your first couple of responses as another Shane wanabe.............

if ya still want to do the DA drop me an email......if you want to work on different tactics BnZ, TnB, SA,
E Fighting as wellin the TA or DA,  the offer is still always open to anyone and everyone!

I usually am getting online around 9pm est or later at this current time......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 11:22:06 PM »
Valkyrie1, I also came down sort of hard, apologies.
This may have a good result, we could possibly add a note in the MOTD when the last rule change or clarification was made.
That way you look at the last change date and you would have a better idea if you really needed to go over the MOTD again.
Of course the Host usually goes over it beforehand so it might be redundant. It's an idea though and I'll bring it up.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2005, 09:41:55 AM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
open apology to Vlkyrie1,  I invisioned your first couple of responses as another Shane wanabe.............

huh?   that's nothing like what i would say...  the alt cap thingy would be more a BK whine; nor do i beech about "styles" per se... and i don't do out of game personal insults...

replace "shane" with "BK" and you'd be more accurate.  :aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 06:34:17 PM »
My opinion is 6K max alt is plenty. I don't care too much at the start, especially with the 60 second rule. I mean, you can't really build up a BnZ E advantage with a co-alt plane in 60 seconds. So even if you are both at 6K, and you *could* zoom to 8K, you probably wouldn't have great enough E advantage to make that an effective move. I just don't see it with same-type aircraft.

What concerns me in alt cap is when the round is almost over. Two guys fighting one side of the arena, another on the other side. One fight gets over, so the victor begins a climb to the other side of the arena where the last two guys are fighting. When that fight gets over, the first guy could be at or near max alt. -- THAT is when the difference between 6 and 8K is VERY apparent and important.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 09:22:38 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
huh?   that's nothing like what i would say...   nor do i beech about "styles" per se... and i don't do out of game personal insults...

notice I said "Shane Wanabe"  I was not implying you beech, whine, dine, or flame that way at all Shane.............

no matter though,  is all good!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2005, 12:34:18 PM »
I like the 6K alt cap too...

Makes the event run faster...

Vlk's not knowing that cruise alt was discontinued months ago explains a lot...

Just FYI Valk,
I quit using a cruise alt because it was completely unenforceable from a CMing perspective...  CMs have no special "player altimiters" to view, so why have an ambiguous standard?
WIND
We changed it to 180 straight-up, fromt he original straight down when we noticed that player that wanted to violate it - could fly right up into it, then coming screaming back down with a tail wind - totally unfair.  I chose 180 & up to exagerrate the alt error and make it easier for me (and the players) to see an enforce - increasing CM objectivity.  But it still relies on Ethical play by those involved.

Hope that clears it up a little, and why I made the decisions I did.

:aok

***EKOTH is TODAY!***

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2005, 03:37:24 PM »
Any reason the weather Gods cant make the 6k limitation visible by slapping a big fat cloud layer at 6k?

Balsy

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2005, 04:24:13 PM »
Originally posted by Balsy
Any reason the weather Gods cant make the 6k limitation visible by slapping a big fat cloud layer at 6k?

Balsy

I wish.  

As of now, CM's are unable to adjust cloud layer alt, or AAA puffy ack alt.

In the future we hope to be able to adjust those settings.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 08:39:41 PM »
Originally posted by Balsy

Balsy

Weather patterns are not CM controlled either, they are written into the maps...  Maybe HT will give CMs that ability one of these days, then we could certainly add that to our repetoire of tools.