Author Topic: Just a passing thought on Afghanistan  (Read 933 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Just a passing thought on Afghanistan
« on: June 12, 2001, 10:22:00 AM »
Ok, before heading out for my evening job, I saw a preview of what the nation news was going to cover.  I saw a blurb that effectively said that Afghanistan is having its worst drought ever and in need of help.  (Add NBC music and the like as the preview wraps up).

Isn't this the same country that told us to F**K off, they aren't handing over Bin Laden, even though its well known he's blown up 2 US Embassies and other terrorist attacks?  And our sweet ole press thinks we should forgot all that and go save these poor souls??  

Granted, I missed the news story, so who knows what the real story was.  But if the Afghans are starving, and they need help, ask away.  But c'mon....funny how everyone wants the USA to help them out.  And yet, no one helps us dig out when we are in distress.  Am I the only one getting a little annoyed with these little antics?  Why do we go outta our way to help nations that will just jab is in the back the first chance they can?  And then ask for more, and repeat this process!

Ok Ok, back to my coffee....just something that kinda irked me last night...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2001, 11:05:00 AM »
agree
Yep, we helped these animals gain their "freedom" from USSR only to have them step back to the stone ages...
I say let someone else foot the bill unless they give us Obin, treat women and other nationalities as equals and establish a democracy getting rid of the militant idiots running the show there now.
just another arse backwards country who aren't happy unless they are fighting, killing, supressing or blowing up something....

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2001, 12:05:00 PM »
Sadly Eagler, LePaul the situation isn't like you describe. These aren't people who signed up to some deal and suddenly turned nasty.

The CIA knew EXACTLY what the Islamic extremists in Afghanistan were like, but because it helped to tie up Soviet forces in the Middle East, they helped them as much as they could. Perhaps in revenge for Vietnam? Possibly part of it, but the true motive was strategic.

After arming and funding these monsters, knowing full well how brutal and barbaric they were (just look at how they treated Russian captives), the US government then acts surprised when they 'turn tail', as it were.

It's all a throwback to the most senseless game in history - the Cold War. Where minor nations were pawns, and the future was barely considered providing the other side was defeated.

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: Dowding ]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2001, 10:44:00 PM »
We chatted about this at work.  Basically someone pointed out that they are a Nomadic culture.  He who has the biggest guns, biggest thugs, and largest wallets, tend to rule.  Democracy isnt anywhere to be found.  That's why their own people, who are suffering, come in last.  Turning over Bin Laden equates to turning in that big guy, with the guy guns, wallet and goons.

Frankly, I think we oughta spare that little island in Puerto Rico and shell the snot outta Afghanistan.  But hey, I like yanking peoples chains   :)

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2001, 11:02:00 PM »
Oh, brilliant! Because the government of Afghanistan is a terrible, evil institution (etc, etc.), the ordinary people living in Afghanistan, who aren't involved in the actions of the government, and are frankly more concerned with surviving, should suffer! Brilliant!
 :mad:

These are people dammit! :mad: Since when does assisting people in need become a matter of political or other selfish priorities? "They won't hand over the evil terrorist, boss."
"Eh? Well, screw 'em. They don't hand 'im over, the ten million of 'em can die like rats."
Ick.

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2001, 03:17:00 AM »
Hmm, maybe US could do again some new weaponry testing in Afghanistan, like they did in Bosnia. Good will and big heart, linked somehow to US government?!ROTFLMAO!

Those guys do now as the Texas oil companys chief says, not how things SHOULD be done.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by ispar:
Oh, brilliant! Because the government of Afghanistan is a terrible, evil institution (etc, etc.), the ordinary people living in Afghanistan, who aren't involved in the actions of the government, and are frankly more concerned with surviving, should suffer! Brilliant!
  :mad:

These are people dammit!  :mad: Since when does assisting people in need become a matter of political or other selfish priorities? "They won't hand over the evil terrorist, boss."
"Eh? Well, screw 'em. They don't hand 'im over, the ten million of 'em can die like rats."
Ick.

No ispar, lets feed and cloth them while their "leaders" assemble bombs for our airlines ... take a pill and get real.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2001, 08:04:00 AM »
Heard a short blurb on the TV with a background shot of sacks of US cornmeal being distributed that said currently the US is providing 80% of all food aid reaching Afganistan.

Haven't been able to verify it in print yet. I'd be interested if anyone has a link to such information.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »
No ispar, lets feed and cloth them while their "leaders" assemble bombs for our airlines ...
Yep, it sounds cruel but it's true. That's what most of so called "freedom fighters" are like. Whether it's Kosovo, Uganda, Afganistan or Chechnya. Keep it in mind next time you see yet another BBC, CNN or some other network correspondent in a flack-jacket breathing heavily with a heavy machine gun firing at some mindless hill in the background...

Feeding "the people"? I think it's naive to assume that the food will even reach the starving populace. Unless they are lucky enough to have a TV camera crew nearby showing the "aid in action". The very same "big guys" will sell the food for even bigger guns...

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: -lynx- ]

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
They can fix the problem themselves if they just pay the cost.
 I saw on Modern Marvels not to long ago, I think it was Iraq or Isreal. I'm not really sure were come to think of it, but they made a water treatment plant that turns sea water into fresh. The plant pumps 250 thosand galons of water an hour. The country has an abundant supply now compared to before were they suffered just like Afganistan is now.
 Build the plant and pipeline it. Future drout problem solved. Its a better solution than praying to ALA to fill there wells and watering holes.