Author Topic: Help with the F4F-4  (Read 1005 times)

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Help with the F4F-4
« on: May 20, 2005, 08:07:29 PM »
Can anybody help me with tips on evading enemies with an F4F-4 and what should be my minimun speed in performing evasive manuevers?:confused:
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 09:07:09 PM »
keep your eyes on, whats going on, outside your plane. you have to know the enemy is there, before you can evade him.

learn ACMs. go to the Training Arena and ask if any trainers can help you with learning ACMs.

as for the F4F-4 try to keep it in the 200-300 mph band. in hard manuvers, it'll quickly lose speed. try to regain as much as you can after the manuver.
it'll manuver all the way down to stall speed. but get too slow, its a sitting duck. learning the ACMs will teach you to manuver and keep speed from falling too much.

another thing is, what is the enemy flying? knowing the enemies planes capabilities, strenghts, and weakness.
and fly to exploit their weakness.   know thy enemy.

I could go on and on, but I have to go now. hope this helps some, anyway.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 11:20:50 PM »
Thank you Ill keep those in mind and also if anybody knows what is the most manuverable Corsair medium to low alt?
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

HiTech

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Corsair
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 04:09:51 AM »
The most "manuverable" Corsair is the F4U-1. It is the lightest of the Corsairs and is the fastest on the deck.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 11:08:02 AM »
Ok thank you.:) O wait which one?

HiTech

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Corsair
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 11:21:22 AM »
Originally posted by Patches1
The most "manuverable" Corsair is the F4U-1. It is the lightest of the Corsairs and is the fastest on the deck.

Excluding the perked F4U-4, which is quite a bit faster everywhere.

For that matter, I would consider the F4U-4 the most maneuverable Corsair. Its far greater power; meaning acceleration, speed and climb, give it a much greater overall maneuverability than the F4U-1, which is far more limited in vertical maneuvering and cannot sustain a prolonged fight with the F4U-4 on anything close to even terms.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 11:28:47 AM »
While I agree with Widewing about the advantages of the -4 the -1 sure handles sweet when it comes to doing a little bit of everything.

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 01:57:33 PM »
I'm assuming he doesnt have enough perks to be "manuevering" a F4U4 around so I would say F4U-1 is the right answer.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 04:43:23 PM »
although widewing is right, i think we should take out the F4u-4 from the equation.

no disrespect towards SAS_KID but it will only confuse him.

SAS_KID. about the F4u \ F4f
those are 2 completely different planes.

the F4u is the corsair
and the F4f is the wildcat.

hope it helps clear out the fog :)

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 08:38:20 PM »
Lol,

Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit with Gilda Radner as "Emily Litilla" confused about why everyone was concerned about "violins" on television.

Regards,

Malta

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 10:56:56 PM »
I'll add 1 thing to this...the F4F is one of those planes that requires a plan going in. It's not going to keep E or get it back very easily so awareness of both the E state and plane capabilities of the "other guy" is essential. It's an excellent angles fighter and like all american iron can generate massive amounts of E if it has alt to work with. Ideally you want to engage with enough E to force the fight and then use the planes greatest disadvantage (its E bleed) as its greatest advantage...you can work wonders vs spitties and nikki's but only if you are aggresive and fly a smart opener...if you havent bagged em in 20 seconds you probably wont live another 10...if you happen to have some alt...drop the nose to gain E and rinse and repeat...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 05:18:48 AM »
Until you're quite familure with the american turn fighters I suggest you consider the FM2 over the F4F. They are pretty much the same plane but the FM2 has a better engine.

Turning success in the american planes is a game of energy manipulation, and this is why the wildcats are so dangerous. To take advantage of being slower requires a fairly intimate knowlege of reversals, however. This is why you don't  see many f4fs in the MA. I've always done very well in the FM2 as it's awsome turn rate (it's the american zeke) makes it a beast if you set up your reversals. SpitVs are your usual prey in this, as their E retention makes it pretty much impossible to shake you if you set up a good merge.

Aside from trying to sucker people in with reversals this plane is a solid attacker. Despite being very slow by MA standards it's a pretty decent diver that can handle high speeds. Dive down on your prey like a mad man and cut throttle while turning to very quickly become near co-E. The E bleed of the F4F means you should be able to pull for a shot no matter how hard your opponent turns so long as you anticipate his moves. When you're not moving in for a kill keep a light touch on the stick. This plane isn't so different from the F6F E retention wise until you pull too hard and run out of speed.

Overall this is just a different balance of turnfighter from the rest of the herd, but just a turnfighter none the less.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 09:49:53 PM »
Roger that you guys thank you.:aok

HiTech

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 10:00:32 PM »
[Shameless Discontent Trolling ON]

What 'E' management?

Just pop a notch or two in any US plane and you'll outturn everything in both instantaneous and sustained turns, except the best of turners - Spit5, Hurris, Zekes.. etc.

[Shameless Discontent Trolling OFF]

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 02:48:54 AM »
You feel you get out turned by planes that shouldnt out turn you? You get out turned by say P51s in a F4F?

Reason is simple. You are turning they are manouvering.

Turning is the safest way to a quick death.

By using ACMs one can kill a tight turner (Zekke, Hurricane, Wildcat, Spitfire MkV) that turns in less then 20 sec after the merge flying a P47. Its extreamly easy to do and works 95% of the time. All you do is you do a Immelman after the merge instead of a flat turn. If he flat turns he is dead.

People look to tight turning planes for manouverability and then use them for flat turning and die all the time.

All your manouvers should always be both horizontal and vertical in motion.

Your flight path should NOT be "follow the path of the enemy". You should always work on getting angles on the enemy. Meaning you do your own manouvers. Know what shot you are looking for and constantly work to get it. Manouver your self into position for *the* shot, dont turn your self into position for *a* shot.

Feel the plane and be creative. Learn to feel where the plane can go from where you are. Manouvering is not just using the basic ACMs (Immelman, Loop, Spit-S, Roll, Barrell Roll, High YoYo, Low YoYo) as they are but combing them. To reverse back on someone you might have to combine for example a half Barrell Roll with a low YoYo or a Low YoYO with an Immelman.

Finally learn to use your flaps.

Tex