Author Topic: CTD  (Read 677 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
CTD
« on: May 23, 2005, 09:11:19 PM »
I've been getting random CTD's (random because they have nothing in common, I'm never really doing the same thing when it happens) for a month or so.

Sometimes I just CTD, sometimes I get a total reboot, and once or twice, I've gotten a BSOD and then a reboot. Often, I hear a screeching and squealing or popping.

I've gone so far as to format and reinstall everything completely fresh. I've run Prime 95, DXDiag, and everything SisoftSANDRA has to offer, along with the diagnostics from WD for my hard drive.

I recently replaced my motherboard and my CPU, the motherboard is exactly the same, the CPU is a slight upgrade.

I have exactly the same software and hardware I ran for over a year with no problems, setup the same way. It was stone reliable(I never had screen freezes or CTD's or any other problem with AH, and my rig performed better than a lot of rigs that were way higher on the food chain than mine), and performed great.

But now I can't get rid of the CTD's.

system specs:

Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
AMD Mobile Barton 2600+
512MB of OCZ PC 4000 Dual Channel Gold EL
Western Digital Raptor 37Gig 10K RPM SATA RAID
Creative Audigy LIVE!
VisionTek GeForce 3 Ti 200 64MB 4X AGP

It's on Windows 2000 Pro, has the Omega 61.77 video drivers, the latest nVidia nForce board drivers, the newest Creative drivers (now, I was running the old ones and updated to try to fix it), and all the latest Windows 2000 Pro updates, including DirectX. I'm running RAID 0, just like I was before. I did a full format and fresh install of everything Saturday, it's the same as before.

I'm about at the end, I'm pretty decent at computer stuff, I've been building and repairing them for years, but this problem has got me stumped.

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions within reason. I've got almost $200 in the replacement board and CPU, I would have gone Athlon64  if I'd known I needed a board and CPU. Money is tight after that, and AGP cards are going the way of the dodo, or I'd consider a new 6600.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
CTD
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 09:18:20 PM »
When you downloaded and installed the new nForce drivers for the motherboard, did you include the sound drivers in the install?  Just asking since you arent using the onboard sound.  If you did, Windows might think there are 2 sound cards installed, and its going bonkers?  Something to check anyway.

• Platinum Member
CTD
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 09:38:17 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
When you downloaded and installed the new nForce drivers for the motherboard, did you include the sound drivers in the install?  Just asking since you arent using the onboard sound.  If you did, Windows might think there are 2 sound cards installed, and its going bonkers?  Something to check anyway.

No, no onboard sound (it's AC'97) drivers are loaded, and onboard sound is disabled in the BIOS. the onboard sound is not installed in the hardware manager either.

Thanks for looking, thanks for the effort, and don't hesitate to offer anything else.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
CTD
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 09:18:55 AM »
Virgil,

You are most likely BSODing(Blue Screen Of Death) when you reboot. Your system is set to automatically reboot when the system crashes. Go to your System Properties, right click on My Computer, Select Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery and turn off Automatically Restart, Turn off System Dump if it's on (probably isn't). The next time it dumps it will stop at the Blue Screen. Write down the stop code and message and post it here. I may be able to find the problem with this information.

If it's restarting wihtout a crash screen then I would seriously look at heat issues or power.

• Platinum Member
CTD
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 05:11:19 PM »
So far, since the format and reinstall, I've only seen one BSOD. it dumped so fast I couldn't catch it. I think it was a ntoskrnl or something of that nature. Auto restart is NOT one, system is off.

My CPU never gets over 45C, and hasn't been over 36C in this cooler weather. All my power supply readings look good.

SaVaGe

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
CTD
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 05:48:32 PM »
I could be wrong, but I swear I rember a thread where Skuzzy stated that if you heard popping noises like that it was an IRQ problem?  Have you checked to see if you have any conflicts?  Did it mainly start after the motherboard change?  Perhaps some IRQ's got changed around?

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
CTD
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 06:21:04 PM »
Im surprised nobody has mentioned PS... What size is it?

• Platinum Member
CTD
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 07:24:44 PM »
It's a 400 Watt, same as it has been along.

No conflicts evident.

SaVaGe

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
CTD
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 01:57:21 AM »
Does it happen when you are in range with a specific aircraft ?
Do you have custom sounds ?

Cause it took me about one year to figure why when close to some 109 I had CTD.
In fact the engine sound of the 109F was corrupted and created CTD ...

Use stock sound for a try.

Try also to open your computer case to see if it's not heat related.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 01:59:49 AM by straffo »

• Platinum Member
CTD
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
Does it happen when you are in range with a specific aircraft ?
Do you have custom sounds ?

Cause it took me about one year to figure why when close to some 109 I had CTD.
In fact the engine sound of the 109F was corrupted and created CTD ...

Use stock sound for a try.

Try also to open your computer case to see if it's not heat related.

No, it happens at any time. For example, Monday I was all alone the first time, just landing. I lined up on the runway, checked my speed and angle of descent (no view change) and poof, there I was at the desktop. The second time, I was lining up on a pony over a base and just as I drew a bead on him and got ready to squeeze him off, poof, there I was at the desktop.

It may happen within a couple of minutes of starting AH II, or it may happen 30 minutes later. USUALLY, I can stay on for 20-30 minutes or so, then I get an all expense paid trip to the desktop. After that, I can stay on for ten minutes at a time about half the time, and the other half is split equally between around five minutes and thirty minutes (ALL times approximate).

I have the regular AH II sounds, no add ons. I've COMPLETELY uninstalled AH II twice as well, even going in and taking it out of the registry. And then done a NEW download and install.

One thing is for sure, I'm getting my money's worth out of DSL. Which, by the way, remains connected when I CTD, unless of course it is accompanied by a reboot.

The CPU runs between 30C and 38C in this weather (I have my windows open and no air on). It isn't even close to running hot, the board is cool, and the video card is as well. Nothing is really even more than slightly warm.

My power supply readings are all within 0.15 volts of spec, and never vary more than 0.1 volts.

SaVaGe

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
CTD
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 07:37:42 AM »
ok , let try one thing :

Start eventvwr.exe

Clear all events you have in Applications and system.

Reboot your PC

Start AH wait for it to CTD , look again in eventvwr to see if there is a new entry in either with a red icon.

If yes post the event number here.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
CTD
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 08:49:20 AM »
Ok, you replaced your motherboard. Did that go without a hitch? No driver issues? No "inaccessible boot device"?

One thing you can try is to reapply the latest service pack (Sp4). This will refresh and problem DLL that may be there. After that I would hit Windows Update site to just make sure you have all the updates.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
CTD
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 04:55:53 PM »
Too lazy to read if someone already said this.

In DxDiag, turn your sound Hardware Acceleration to 3/4 (One less notch than full).
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

• Platinum Member
CTD
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 07:58:09 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
Ok, you replaced your motherboard. Did that go without a hitch? No driver issues? No "inaccessible boot device"?

One thing you can try is to reapply the latest service pack (Sp4). This will refresh and problem DLL that may be there. After that I would hit Windows Update site to just make sure you have all the updates.

Yeah, no problems with the motherboard replacement, besides, I've since formatted and reinstalled.

I have Windows 2000 Pro service pack 4 as well. I spent a couple hours getting all the updates.

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
CTD
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 08:02:21 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
ok , let try one thing :

Start eventvwr.exe

Clear all events you have in Applications and system.

Reboot your PC

Start AH wait for it to CTD , look again in eventvwr to see if there is a new entry in either with a red icon.

If yes post the event number here.

I'll try that in a day or two, I'm a little annoyed with this thing right now, and busy with other things. Maybe I'll have a decent day at the shop Friday and be in a better mood. Thanks.

SaVaGe