Author Topic: WBIII Beta is out!  (Read 5322 times)

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2001, 10:49:00 PM »
Does anyone else notice the horizontal axis seems squished? Looking straight down on a plane from external view a wingspan aligned in the vertical is about 1/2 inch longer than in the horizontal. It also makes the f6f side view look real stubby like an f4f.

Maybe its just my machine, but it was noticeable in 1280x1024 and in 1024x768.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2001, 11:05:00 PM »
It crashed within 2 minutes of use on my system.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible that the final product could be good.  I'm just saying that this sure looks bad right now.

And yes, I have seen worse things that were "beta".  Mind you, they sucked when they were released though.

Daff,
I'm Karnak, not "Sisu".  Sisu is a Finnish word that means "What must be done, will be done, regardless of the cost".

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Spitfire F.MkXIVc to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Moose11

WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2001, 11:56:00 PM »
Well, without a system (waiting for the new processor to come in) I won't say one thing about how bad or good it is, but WBIII will have to really outperform AH for me to get an account there next to my AH one. And there no chance in hell that I'd drop my AH account for iEN, and I'm sure that most people here agree. So HTC has little to worry about right now.

However it'll be interesting to see what gets added to AH in the coming months with WBIII and WWIIgeneralsonallthetimeOnlin e being released. In the end, it's better for us, the players, because you'll see some great features and price wars..

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2001, 12:10:00 AM »
downloaded it,tryed it and it sucks. nothing but a little eye candie.

same game new grafix

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2001, 12:55:00 AM »
WWIIgeneralsonallthetimeOnlin e
==============================
   sounds like something Id come up with!

I generally (no pun intended) liked what I saw in the initial release.  Understanding clearly that it is a basic release for testing.  The key will be what it is like in 6/12 months.

In the meantime, the WB loyalists are finally getting something serious to chew on.

Im happy for em.  Born and raised there.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 03-15-2001).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2001, 01:29:00 AM »
 I have'nt DL it. Probably wont. Dont have enough puter anyway. But, I am suprised at the flames about it. Why any of us would be unhappy about a new WW2 sim coming out, is beyond me.

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2001, 02:48:00 AM »
Well one reason might be that is just

"OFF TOPIC" like Staga said before.

nice Graphics, but what is that ugly purple sky supposed to be, is that mars atmosphere  ?

Maik

TheWobble

WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2001, 04:59:00 AM »
I dunno about anyone else but when i fired up the prop engines i got this wierd spinning square insted of the spinning prop, i also got little squares for tracers, bomb blasts, rocket blasts, and fire..

NOT impressed.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2001, 05:57:00 AM »

Originally posted by Sancho:
It is a beautiful screenshot.  Competition is good.    
\

Could not agree more! As stated in another forum by me.. Look what the Japanese did for the American Autombile industry

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2001, 06:26:00 AM »
I gotta say I'm not overly impressed with it so far, although it does have a couple of nice 'features' that would go well in AH.

1.  Gun shaking in buffs (although possibly a bit overdone in WBIII)
2.  Those nice misty, hazy cloud layers.

Apart from that, nothing to get too excited about.  Graphics seem 'OK' but there are some glaring oddities.  Try the Ki84, stop the propeller and take a good look at it.  Looks like something knocked together in 5 seconds with an arc welder and a couple of Coke cans  

But, it has promise.

PakRat

WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2001, 06:47:00 AM »
Somebody say something about hookers????  

---
PakRat
http://www.jump.net/~cs3" TARGET=_blank>63rd FS, 56th FG
"Zemke's Wolfpack"

"I see dead people"

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2001, 06:52:00 AM »
someone tell me if the Fw190 initial rollrate sucks as much as it did in WBs2.7

If it does, then I wont waste any minute in downloading it  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
Well, preferences and differences aside, I'm glad the WB community finally got their graphics upgrade, and I'm sure they will continue to improve, so far, they are following the trail the HiTech has blazed, and you can bet more of what they implement will be concepts already used here, which, for their community, is a GOOD thing!...that being said, WTG iEN, and congrats to their player base, ya finally got 'there'.  

------------------

~Death Rattlers~
Member of 'MAG-33' (Click here)
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for interviews with other Aces High Squadrons
"Anytime you can engage, and disengage the enemy at will,
you have already won 1/2 the battle before merging.."

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-15-2001).]

sky_bax

WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
"same game new grafix"

Hehe, not the same game by a long shot.

Lots of new features added, lots changed, and lots can be done with this engine, were as the old 2.77 was maxed out.

This link might help you a bit:

http://www.dogfighter.com/interviews/show.php3?interview=984006498

[This message has been edited by sky_bax (edited 03-15-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »
Spitboy I honestly wrote what I did with a very neutral tone and demeanor. Never meant or intended it to be combative in nature.

IMO, WB III is still in an early beta state. Look at the glaring problems. The FM feels like a Cessna would if it was in AirWarrior "RR" and there are so many graphical problems I'm amazed they were not fixed before this was releases. Yes, it is a beta so I'll play nice and compare WB III to AH when WB III goes pay to play. That's only fair.

But I will give my opinion as we're all so apt to do in both camps on what is out..

I suspect it was released too early and into a "so called"  "open beta" for marketing reasons. To try and retain or gain desperately needed financial backing for the company and to help retain the fence sitters who are tired of WB 2.xx and the connects.  WB III  doesn't need a load test. It hasn't made it that far. If they think it has the WB customers are being ripped.

I've participated in several beta's and IMO the WB III release is by far the least finished and polished given to players to test.  

As for the clouds?  Aye yie yie.  I guess it's al a case of what you *want* to see. I run in 1024X768, 32bit mode. It runs fine. These "clouds" look like the thin whispy smoke one would see  in a grave yard scene from a Bela Lugosi horror flick.  Flying into the layer (it's so thin I hesitate to call them clouds)  is *very* realistic, but then your breifly in them and there is no  substance. Suddenly you're through to the upper side and looking around at this thin whisp of "smoke"  Going back down through them is very weird as it looks like diving thru a watered down layer of skim milk.

Is it better than what the WB player had? MAC customers? Absolutely. But for the rest the current WB III is like a half way house on the way to the real thing.  I'll comment when it's out. No more from me now as it's not warranted. Most folks see the same things I do. Be they here or even in AGW.

-Westy