Author Topic: New Chinese Aircraft Carrier !  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
New Chinese Aircraft Carrier !
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2005, 10:01:57 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
They Kuzentsov class also has 192  SAM's and 12 ASM missiles. Dunno what the Chinese will do regarding that tho.

While I imagine that they would want to make use of the SAM capability, I'm not sure what would happen with the ASMs. The next Generation of Russian Missiles is well underway, and the Chinese have some promising designs as well.

The PLAN has been loading up on SS-N-22s for the past 5+ years, but I would think that they would be more forward thinking if they were going to put anything on the Varyag.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2005, 10:04:55 AM »
Originally posted by ASTAC
I agree with your analasis Sikboy.

This is exasctly what we in the US Navy have always figured about the Russian CV programme...They did have a ship on the building way that was much larger more modern CV that was scrapped before much work was done due to the cost to build it.

Well where do you think I came up with the story? lol. I was a Russian Linguist in the Navy in the early-mid 90's. We probably went through bootcamp around the same time.

-Sik

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2005, 10:05:23 AM »
Maybe the Shipwrecks are part of the package. They are getting old, but they have great range, and if one of them hit the target there wouldnt be much left of it.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2005, 10:07:57 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Maybe the Shipwrecks are part of the package. They are getting old, but they have great range, and if one of them hit the target there wouldnt be much left of it.

Yeah, you really do want that 300 mile range when you're talkinga bout your Carrier. I mean, if the enemy is within range of a Sunburn, you've already failed lol.

-Sik

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2005, 10:11:25 AM »
300nm is alot of range around Taiwan. On the high seas its another matter entirely

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2005, 10:16:31 AM »
It's twice the range of the SS-N-22, That's what I mean, if you let a target get within 155 miles of your Carrier, you've already screwed up.

-Sik

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2005, 10:34:09 AM »
The deal on both the commie rafts was pretty restrictive. Neither ship was equipped with any commo gear, armament of any type or even the propulsion systems. Picked clean steel hulks.

Which is why the chinese pretty much scrapped any idea of reworking the boats and decided to go with their own renditions from scratch.

Again, the value of a carrier force to the chinese is in 'brown water' force projection (contested spratley islands, phillipines, vietnam, formosa) and defense of home waters against intruding yankee-dog pirate subs. HAAAR!

In a wierd way, the emergence of a pacific naval power is good.. we'll likely be continuing with our own super carrier build and development program, this assures the continued presence and importance of our own navy's force projection program.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline spitfiremkv

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2005, 10:44:51 AM »
Originally posted by Rino
Every time I think that you've posted the dumbest post ever,
you manage to top yourself, bravo!

I was talking about the 'soviet children of 50s and 60s'  .
tell me if what I said isn't 100% true.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2005, 03:09:35 PM »
From what I've read Hangtime and Sikboy pretty much covered it.  The Chinese are starting to show some pretty lofty aspirations in the region and internationally.  They also tend to be impatient and historically seem to be overly ambitious in areas they don't have much experience in.  That said, they also have learned that they can skip entire generations of painful engineering lessons through "buying" technology they don't want to develop themselves.  The carrier hulks serve as a great engineering lesson so that the Chinese can reverse-engineer the russian experience and then design/build their own similar design.

Chinese have lots of opportunity to test a new carrier out in brown-water operations anyway (as Hangtime pointed out).  Nothing like a CV to help and influence some local decisions to favorable conclusions.  Whether it turns into a true Blue-water type force is unclear but that would require a lot more than just building some CV's as I'm not aware they have anywhere near the supporting ships they'd need for that style of operation.

-Soda