Author Topic: Scenario Pilot Databse idea . . .  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Scenario Pilot Databse idea . . .
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2005, 05:42:31 PM »
Originally posted by culero
Great job, that. After a period of time during which scenario play had declined almost to the point its very existence was at risk, SMG made critical efforts that resulted in the successful resurgence of scenario play at Air Warrior. I am still grateful for that. ~S~

Thanks, Culero!  You did good work in that same area, too, as did Jordi.  Are there more folks around involved with Aces High who were in that crowd?

"salamanderly personalities?" LMAO! What a diplomatic understatement :)

Heh!  Well, I can be diplomatic at times. :)

Brooke, give me an opinion about a brain fart I'm having, please (it kinda ties in with that last remark of yours).

I like your ideas on this, Culero.

One of the things that comes to mind for me was a scenario run by Try Harder in August, 1995:  Saga of the 5th Air Force.  It was a series of scenarios (each a 6-frame event) that simulated development over time (as time progressed, newer aircraft became available in larger quantities) and where results of the previous scenario affected the setup of the next scenario.  I think it was the first scenario to try a concept like that.  I was CO of the Japanese side in that one, and I remember it as one of the most-fun scenarios ever.

In the Air Warrior days, the player base was more committed and involved.  We had no trouble with 6-frame scenarios and some longer than that.  However, I always keep in mind that, while the percentage of devoted players was larger, the size of the player base was smaller.  So, some of those Air Warrior scenarios had much less than 100 participants in total -- and it was still a blast.

What we have in Aces High are folks like us who want basically three things:
-- more scenarios per year
-- more player devotion
-- longer scenarios
We want it all! :)  While we don't have it right now and while I don't think it can all happen quickly (such as over the next few scenarios), I do think we, the Aces High community, can build toward it.

More scenarios per year will probably happen.  It is helped by more folks getting involved and willing to pitch in (for administering, planning, running, and perhaps designing scenarios), which might be happening now.  Right now, it seems like there are plenty of designers and would-be designers, so the other areas might be where more folks are needed to pitch in.

More player devotion will happen over time, too, I think.  It is helped by everyone promoting scenarios -- speading The Word when in the main arena -- to those who don't know about scenarios.  All we need to do is grow the base of players like us who love scenarios, not win over everyone.  So, when you are in the main arena, strike up a conversation about how great scenarios are and what they are -- especially when a scenario is getting ready to run and signup is open.

Longer, more-involved scenarios -- this is what you were talking about specifically.  And you thought I was off into the weeds and wouldn't come back, eh, Culero? :)  I agree with you 100%.  Right now the best way to get a longer scenario would probably be to have a string of 4-frame scenarios that are related, where the outcome of the previous one affects the start of the next.  The string of scenarios then is like a longer scenario, but it has the advantage that signups refresh the player base in between.  I love the idea.

So, what do we need to make it happen?  Who is in charge of scenarios in Aces High in terms of giving the OK for one to run?